using troop guides

Questions for all of you with more experience than I have:

Do you utilize troop guides in your program? If so, how? Who chooses them, based on what criteria, and how long do they serve? Do you assign TGs to specific patrols (say, to a specific NSP), or are they "floaters" who help out where and as needed?

Last question (ha! well, for now anyway): how does a TG differ from a JASM?

Thanks.

Lisa'bob

Yes, we have used troop guides. They are usually selected by the SPL. You could float them if you want to, but they are usually assigned to a particular patrol, usually the new scout patrol. We have them serve a 6 month term like everybody else. Troop guides assist the new scout patrol typically, giving leadership guidance to the patrol leader of the new scout patrol(since he is anew scout himself, he needs all the help he can get). Junior Assistant Scoutmasters help out the Assistant Scoutmasters in fulfilling their duties. Anybody else out their have a different take on this?

The Troop Guide works with a new Scout patrol. The Junior Assistant Scoutmaster functions as an assistant Scoutmaster.

Good resources for learning about those positions (and all boy leadership positions) are the Scoutmaster Handbook, Scoutmaster's Junior Leader Training Kit, and the Troop Leadership Training book.

Do you utilize troop guides in your program?

Depends on the patrol structure. Vertical patrols where new scouts are admitted pretty directly into a patrol do not need a troop guide. I've seen troops where PLs or APLs from various patrols served as temporary troop guides for new scout orientation type campouts & events.

For troops that have horizontal patrols, or that keep the new scouts together for a year before letting them join real patrols, the Troop Guide sort of acts like "big brother" and de facto patrol leader for most things. In this role, I agree with Eagledad, you need to use an older boy - 16ish. The dynamic with TG's that are only a couple of years older than the new guys isn't that good.

Who chooses them, based on what criteria, and how long do they serve?

Da SPL and either the SM or ASM for new scouts typically recruit the troop guide. Both youth and adult input should be involved... you really need the right personality guy in this role.

I personally think TG's need to serve as long as the NSP remains in existance. So if you run NSP for a year, the TG should hold office for a year. The relationships take time to form, and are hugely valuable to maintain, especially for the more shy kids.

Do you assign TGs to specific patrols (say, to a specific NSP), or are they "floaters" who help out where and as needed?

Ideally, they should stick with one patrol to build relationships. You have to watch attendance issues. Absenteeism is the biggest excuse for "floaters." I think it's best to assign 2 TG's per NSP if you can, for mutual support and coverage when one is absent.

Last question (ha! well, for now anyway): how does a TG differ from a JASM?

In a lot of ways, a TG is a similar personality and role to a JASM - an older boy who can be trusted to behave as a junior adult and helper to a group of boys. I think a lot of JASMs would make OK TG's and vice versa. Almost like TG is JASM for new scouts.

JASMs can serve other roles - coaching youth leaders, helping with safety/logistics. All of these require the same sort of maturity as being TG, but might require different personality/talents. TG's should really enjoy helping the little guys, and often have a bit of "zany energy." JASMs doing other things might have different natural aptitudes and interests.

Lisabob,

In our troop, we greatly utilize the Troop Guides. We started this 3 years ago when we had 16 new scouts crossover. Myself and another scout were assigned to the two NSPs. Ever since then, we have had at least one Troop Guide assigned to each NSP (sometimes we assigned more or have a floater based on the type of New Scouts and their abilities.) Our general understanding is that when a scout volunteers to be a Troop Guide (and is appointed by the SM), he knows he should be with them for at least six months before running for another position in elections. Generally, most of our Troop Guides love the job so much they don't want to run for anything else and continue guiding their patrol through their 2nd year.

Our Troop Guides are the main people in our NSP program. They teach the 1st years the basics of Scouting and focus on getting them to 1st class by the next year. Normally each NSP is also supervised by an adult who backs the Troop Guides.

A JASM serves like an ASM, just as a youth. I volunteered, as a JASM, to supervise, aid, and teach our 7 Troop Guides (3 assigned to 2 NSPs, 3 assigned to 2nd years in which have a couple have special needs, and one floater). I make sure they have what they need and help them plan out their skills. By doing this, I indirectly have volunteered to help with running our NSP by working with the Troop Guides to the point where they can teach everything needed by themselves.

Hope this helps you in your quest for answers

I love this forum, so many scouters from so many places all deicated to helping youth. It's a great resource. Our New Scout Patrol chooses a Name, a Patrol Medallion patch (was that redundant?), a Cheer, they cook together on campouts, elect a patrol leader, are in the service patrol rotation for clean-up and honor guard duties for meetings and I am not sure what more they would have to do to be considered a "real patrol"

By BSA definition a JASM is at least 16 years old, appointed by the SPL with the scoutmaster's advice and consent.

We use Troop Guides. In our troop, the TG is appointed by the Scoutmaster, with input from the SPL and the ASM for the NSP. If we ever have two NSPs, we would have two TGs.

The JASM, as others have stated, is essentially acting as an ASM. He still has to abide by youth rules in regards to YP guidelines. In some troops the JASM appointment is automatic once a boy is 16 and makes Eagle. Other troops look only at the most mature boys that are really transitioning into adult-hood.

Some good comments here. To restate a couple of points already made, the JASM is at least 16 years old, and appointed by the SPL with the advice and consent of the SM. The Troop Guide is at least 1st class rank, and is also appointed by the SPL with the advice and consent of the SM. The Troop Guide works as a mentor to the members of a New Scout Patrol. He assists the patrol leader of the NSP.

A NSP is a real patrol, with a real patrol leader from day 1. How long does a NSP exist? When most of the boys have advanced in ranks, and can function well on their own without a TG, they arent new anymore. That may take a year. There is no reason to break them apart and shuffle them off into other patrols. They can continue on as a regular patrol without the new designation.

I suspect the inclination some have for breaking them up comes from wanting to fill up the holes in other patrols that were not successful in recruiting new members and keeping the boys they have. If other patrols are having difficulties, the solution isnt to bust up another patrol.