11 year olds leading 11 year olds, what's your experience?

Ok...after experimentation here's what works famously for the troop I am associated with. We have a new scout patrol every year. They usually cross over from a pack (of the same number by the way, a great thing if you can swing it) as a lump that has been together since Tigers. Some have older brothers in the Troop. The first year they are "given" a Troop Guide (who is a usually a former Senior Patrol Leader or of that ilk and Life Scout

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horror of horrors....all of my message didn't get through on the post......the rest of it says something like the NSP is also "given" a senior Scout as an Instructor. TG and Instructor assist adult ASM with skill training and role models. NSp members select one of their own to be Patrol Leader for the month. He attends PLC's, planning sessions and serves as PL for the monthly event. Learns by doing and

Man...can't get a whole post through...again braveheart...NSP members learn by doing and training with SM. They elect their PL at end of first year. All have had a "taste". Works great for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Eleven year olds CAN lead other 11 year olds, or 12 or 13 year olds.

My son just got back from Brownsea 22, and his mother and I went up to watch on Friday. It was amazing how much these boys had grown in leadership in just one week!

This same week we took up our 15 year old ASPL to Junior Leadership Training (JLT) and he also grew by leaps and bounds.

Fantastic programs for teaching new and older scouts the nuances of leadership.

Additionally, our troop has an outstanding 14 year old as the Senior Patrol Leader (also a staff member for Brownsea), and is respected by the older 15-17 year olds.

I think a lot of it has to do with how we as adult leaders are seen to support our youth leaders. If we show that we trust and support them, no matter what there age, then the other boys will feel that confidence in there leadership also.