I'm constantly amazed at the stupidity of the BSA. Concerning the subject of the "swim test", our council scheduled it at a local pool during a MB Univeristy weekend, since the pool was available for MB's. Well, the JLTC/NYLT meeting was ALSO on the exact same day, so any Scout staffing the NYLT and going to Jamboree not only had to give up going to the MBU, but could not really appear at the swim test either...

Another swim test date was scheduled (for a fee) at a local pool. Anyway, our Scout can't make the 2nd scheduled date - WHY? - Because he is swimming in the STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

Now these swim tests are being held in March, confirming that a Scout will be a capable "swimmer" in August. This is very different than at summer camp, were you jump off the bus, go take a test because the pool/lake is right there.

Here is the reply from our council concerning the situation -

--

" If you cannot make either of the swim test dates set up by the Jamboree committee you will need to make arrangements with your scoutmaster for a special swim test time. Even though he is on the championship swim team he needs to take the test with one of his troop leaders present. Just as at summer camp each boy and adult must re-take the test even if they had done one the week before at another event".

ps56k, I understand your frustration with bureaucracy (been there, done that). But in a long-ago time I was on a swim team and we practiced virtually every day - as opposed to spitting into the wind trying to move the bureaucracy, can a member of leadership go watch about 15 minutes of a practice? Coach probably wouldn't mind letting him float for a few seconds...

Vicki

ps56k,

many out there will understand how it greatly pains me to have to defend the legal beagles at National on anything, but here goes...Particularly with water hazzards...what you did or could do last year or last week does not mean 'dirt' to the 'potentially liable entity' (read-JAMBO or summer camp directors). They need to know NOW that you passed a test to protect them...and between then and now who knows what may have happened to your ability to swim...

Case in point, many years ago I lost a lung to the mighty "big C"...Several months later after 'healing' and except for being a might short on 'holding my breath' I hopped into a pool to take a few laps...

I had always been a good swimmer even though I did not 'enjoy' it as a recreational activity (But being an avid canoe jocky and fisherman, swimming was something I did more or less regularly...)

BUT now, I could not maintain a stroke! I had no timing and while I could still float I could not swim! It took years to get 'up in the water', it was very weird and quite scary (not to mention a tremendous blow to my male ego)...no one could explain what had happened to me (and they still can't, but in the course of six months I had lost a life-long ability to swim.

All I am trying to say is, when a boys life (or adults for that matter) is on the line they are better safe ...than all of us being sorry...

I know its a pain but its an understandable one from my side of the fence.

Your in Scouting

And a swimming test in March proves your capable of swimming in August ?

More and more - Scouting today seems to be the last resort for those kids that for whatever reason don't quite fit into the other worlds. We seem to have our fair share of ADHD, rotund, timid, gifted, and generally weird kids.... and the exceptions, that really enjoy Scouting, participate in all the special activities like Jamboree, NYLT, Philmont, etc - bending over to try to balance their lives with Scouting, and continue to run into roadblocks.....

And we wonder why Scouting for those over 14 is not attractive... Well - let's see - make me choose between a State Swimming Championship meet or taking a BSA swim test - DUH -

How many strikes does it take to loose this Life Scout going to Jamboree and on Staff at NYLT -

"I'm constantly amazed at the stupidity of the BSA. Concerning the subject of the "swim test", our council scheduled it at a local pool"

Slow down, this isn't the BSA.In fact I very much doubt if it is even the Council. The swim test has to be done by the Jamboree Leadership. If the Jamboree SM is happy to accept that Tiny Tim is a world Class swimmer that is on him. If he is like me a real pain in the neck he will want to see for himself that each and every Scout can pass the swim test.

One goal I have for the Jamboree Troop is that we come back home with the same number of Scouts that we go with.

With any luck them being the same Scouts will be an added bonus.

Eamonn.