Gee from reading these posts I've suddenly realized that all of the boys in the Troop must have ADD! The often can't keep focused during meetings when we are doing a demo or providing instruction there usually are 4 out our 6 talking to each other staring off into space or just simply arent there. At times I've just stopped talking or doing the demo and just looked at them until they come around and I'll say "ok now the ice cream melted while you guys were in space so back to the topic."

Believe more than one have said "ICE CREAM!!" Take a look at my post on my SC experience this year!! Really challenging

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone seems to agree that boys with ADD and ADHD etc are a challenge but I would like to add to the mix here that sometimes the parents are less than helpful in helping the situation. In addition to not bringing the meds in the original container, or not mentioning to the SM the boy has been taken off his meds for the summer it only exacebates the situation. I have mentioned to several parents that JLTC or summer camp might not be the optimum time to do this because the boy (1) is in an unfamiliar place (2) will be using fire (3) using a knife and/or ax and that being able to self control and focus is very important. I also believe that if parents would wean boys off soda and high sugar snacks before sending them to camp helps adjustment and cuts down on homesickness and accidents-IMHO

Like others have said. "PATIENCE". One other thing is to always stay calm when dealing with ADD kids. If they sense you are upset it will upset them.

When I work with these kids I sit down in front of them, take their hands in mine and make them look me in the eye when I am telling them something and them make the repeat what I said.

One of my biggest challenges with them is knot tieing.

It takes a lot of time working with them. But what a payoff when they get something and you see that light go on in their eyes and their faces glow with success. So many of them have little success in their lives. Most get treated like they are stupid. Which they are not.