Twocubdad writes:

"Under "Patrol Method" you can discuss ... every patrol camping 300 feet apart."

One big advantage of camping the Patrols Baden-Powell's minimum 300 feet apart is that this physical distance will eventually move "Voting vs Appointing" from a moral debate to one of obvious practicality:

"Who is the best leader?" rather than "Who needs the POR?."

That being said, I would implement B-P's "Real" Patrol System in the field, along the lines suggested by SeattlePioneer, rather than writing it up as a new "policy" to attract debate.

Adjust the distance of each Patrol from the central adult area according to that Patrol's maturity.

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net

I suspect you know it's going to be a journey to get where you want to be with the Troop and we're just preaching to the choir. It's going to be a challenge, not doubt but I suspect you're closer than you think. It sounds as if you've had ample opportunities to talk things over about how things are done - if the SM you're replacing and the other ex-SM's on the committee have any doubts about you taking over and making changes, I imagine you'll know by the end of the week when you're called and told that things have changed and they've found someone else.

You may be seeing a lot of things that you want to change, but as others have said better than I, it's going to take some time, so choose a couple of small things to start. Maybe replacing the tarp is not the first battle you want to take on because it also costs money but changing the way the SPL is selected might be the first thing out - next time the SPL term is up, just switch it to an election and use that as a base to launch a proper PLC. Follow the Nike code and Just Do It.

Now, here's the thing that's going to make this work. You need to be ready, the moment - the exact moment - that the ex-SM's start complaining that it isn't the way things are done, to reach up to your sleeve, pull the SM patch off your shirt, hand it to them, and say "find someone else, I'm obviously not the person you want, no harm, no foul" and walk away. No discussions, no listening to their side, no giving them an inch on this battle in hopes you'll win future battles, no waffling - hand them the patch and walk away friends. One of two things will happen - they'll come running after you asking you to reconsider at which time you tell them it's on your terms or no go (and that's not "my way or the highway", that's following the books and program and collaborating with them on things that need collaboration) or 2) they'll find a replacement which is a sign they weren't prepared to let go and you're better off anyway.

Mega dittoes to all the above.

I will add one suggestion. Schedule a "transfer of command" ceremony, maybe at the next CoH or even a regular Troopmeeting. Such an event solemnizes and makes official the idea that HE is now the REAL Scoutmaster and HIM is the ustabe Scoutmaster. The boys will then know who to go to, for sure. No question about it.

This can be as simple as a CC announcement and a shaking of hands and "congratulations and good luck" or as complicated as a laying on of hands, a blessing from the pastor, SM promises while grasping the Troop flag pole, a wife pinning on the patch, etc. But it should include the old SM spmehow being acknowledged for his service and the new SM being acknowledged as the new one (!).

This makes it public and not a private and (somehow) reversable affair.

Wait a minute! It was Galaxy Quest with the scrambled teleport.

Regarding your boys, tell #1 not to worry. Everyone knows SMs sons have it the worst.

Besides, these are guys you said you can trust and respect, not some stooges on the Internet.

Wait a minute! It was Galaxy Quest with the scrambled teleport.

Regarding your boys, tell #1 not to worry. Everyone knows SMs sons have it the worst.

Besides, these are guys you said you can trust and respect, not some stooges on the Internet.