New DL in a new pack, where do I start?

I'm in a new pack, that is only a few years old. I've volunteered to be a Wolf DL next year, and I'm trying to figure out what I need to know. The existing adult leadership in the pack is all great people, but there's been some serious communications problems, and I'm trying to make sure I start the wolves out right. I'd like to be fully up to speed before the year starts next school year, rather than learning on the job.

I've taken the Online basic training for wolf DLs, and the youth protection course, and I am trying to find out where i can take the other (face to face) part of the training.

Our pack doesn't really use the Den number system, and for the most part, an I was wondering some way to create a real "Den identity" Some of the stuff I had een was introducing the use of Denners, Den Flags/Doodles, etc. Any more suggestions would bevery helpful.

Any help would be appreciated.

Congratulations on taking on an enjoyable and challenging position.

Take the training - if nothing else, you'll meet other new Wolf Leaders you can network with.

Go to any roundtables meeting over the summer & see if you can't hook up with some Scouters that have been Wolf Leaders. Pick there brains & get their email addresses.

Have Fun,

NC

Contact your District Executive and he can put you in touch with someone at your council office that can get you a cd of the last Scouting University. Lots of useful info. Check out your council website for training dates. If you want private message me with your address and I will burn you a copy of what I have from my council and send it to you.

As you already mentioned, you know that you need the training. So that is out of the way.

Program helps are a good start as they help you understand some simple projects that the boys can do for their den meetings.

http://www.scouting.org/CubScouts/Leaders/CubScoutHelps.aspx

Also there is an online library of resources on the national site

http://www.scouting.org/CubScouts/resources.aspx

Alway look over the BALOOS Bugle. Great compliation of activity resources there.

http://usscouts.org/bbugle.asp

Fast Tracks is a schedule of meetings that may help you in that they already have everything laid out for what to do each meeting and will have your advancement completed in a timely manner (Usually in the spring)

http://www.scouting.org/CubScouts/FastTracks.aspx

Also, get the parents to help out, the boys belong to them too.

I hope this is a good start for what you are looking for. There are also hundreds of other scout planning websites that you can find through any search engine.

Good luck and welcome to scouting. (An hour a WEEK. HAHAHAHAHA. Maybe and hour a week per Cub Scout) (But I still love it)

Wahooker: Welcome to the Forums. And to a great adventure. Your Cubs will long remember the adventures you will help create for them. "The Pack helps the Cub Scout grow..."

Ask your DE or your Unit Commissioner to obtain for you and your fellow DLs a binder labeled "Cub Scout Den Leader Kit". It comes with many brochures and other resources that will inspire and be useful to you. Also as has been mentioned, look up the book "Program Helps". Older issues are also very useful for craft and activity ideas. When you are registered as a Scout leader, you will eventually receive the Scouter magazine which will have an insert about CS activities.

And don't just do Den meetings in your rec room or church basement. Take'm to the park, meet at the fire station, or arrange a tour of the local hardware store. Check with the State Police and see about touring their helicopter base. Wow those Cubs.

Ask yourself, what would I like to see or do? Ask your Cubs and then take'm.

KISMIF

congratulations

1,look to the wolf book there are plenty of good ideas there.

2,keep it simple and fast moving don't get to complicated a project till you know what the boys are capable of.

3, get them outside when weather permits.

4, have fun!

remember they will look up to you and almost anything you plan they will have fun with even if it does not go as well as YOU like. Boys that age are easy to please.

Welcome Wahooker!

Most councils/districts have pretty much wrapped up their training for the year. Keep an eye on your council website to see when they update their training calendar for 2009-2010. Once your council publishes the new training dates, sign up for Cub Scout Leader Specific Training for Wolf/Bear Leaders. You can attend this training in any district (or even any council!).

Signing up to have any council or district newsletter emailed to you is helpful also.

What you can do now is to purchase a copy of the Cub Scout Leader Book, and the Wolf Handbook (your own copy), from your local Scout Shop. The Cub Scout Leader Book is pretty much the Leaders Bible. It has all of the BSA rules and regs for Cub Scouts, and lots of program and advancement info. It also has copies of forms that you will need, although most can be found at the BSA National website.

The Wolf Handbook is what you and your son will be working out of for the next year. A Wolf den is run differently from how your Tiger den was run this year. Most of the rank requirements and electives are supposed to be done at home with the family. However, there are some that just fit/work better when done in the den setting. Over the summer, go thru the Wolf Handbook and pick out the requirements/electives that you want to do in the den. I noticed that your council has an annual Cub Advancement Day event. Include the activities available there in your planning. Have a newsletter for your first den meeting with a calendar of meeting dates and what you will be working on. Let your families know that they are responsible for doing the rest at home.

Attend your district Roundtables to get info and help from area Cub Scout leaders. Attend your Pack Committee/Leader meetings.

HAVE FUN !!!

Creating a "den identity" is easy.

Start with a den flag. It can be as simple as a felt banner. Have the boys help design it. They can use the squeeze bottles of fabric paint to sign their names on it.

Make up a den yell. Again, let the boys help come up with something. Incorporate a nice loud Wolf howl in it somehow.

HAVE FUN !!!