Options other than the BSA

So what other options are available???

Baden Powell scout Association.....Yep

Not sure of any others.....

So selling the parents on the change.....

No Eagle.....tough sell

No nationally recognize advancement program

No support....No national training site.......

Program totally on your own, of course this is the way it is now.

Relatively unknown program to the outsiders....

No formal summer camp.

If you start it you will be immediately kicked out of your local BSA council.

Benefits

It is a coed program

Much less costly

No Eagle mills

No FOS

No District or Council Politics.

No big McAdventure trips to Philmont or that place in WVA...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just described most church youth groups that I know.

Except for the McAdventure's. There are lots of churchy youth gatherings that fill bill. (Creation Music Festival, for one, involves a few nights of camping.) There is less emphasis on citizenship and more on duty to God, but they promote mission tourism, which when you do the math can tap a parent's wallet just as readily as Jambo. (All that plane fare for a two week jaunt that could feed a village for a year!) I'm not entirely negative on the process, because I have seen it set the compass for quite a few young lives who as adults are doing great things.

And yes, sometimes I wonder if my time in the BSA detracts from time helping support a youth group somewhere. EXCEPT my kids know what it takes to hit the ground running and make a camp (scout, church, or other) run smoothly so youth leaders can focus on ministry. (They've told me as much.)

I have had similar thoughts. I really enjoy Scouts, but sometimes wonder if my boys and I could do more "stuff" on our own as a family with the wife and daughter also. Less cost, less hassle, more flexible time, etc....

The main reason We haven't done so, is the boys get that extra interaction with others their age, and I enjoy the companionship of other adults with similar ideals. But as has been said, they get the same within a churches youth group. With the added benefit of not taking up as much family time.

So it does leave one to wonder, why would it not be better to help with your youth group and do camping on your own(With friends if you want the companionship)

BPSA website seems to be down, it just says check back later.

Wonder how active they are? I've never heard of them.

"If you start it you will be immediately kicked out of your local BSA council." Is this true? How would council know, have they infiltrated the BPSA organization? Maybe they have spies. Oh shoot I just looked at their website, does BSA have spyware in my computer?

Hmm, getting kicked out of Scouting for joining another organization, and not even a gay or atheist organization at that!

How long do you think it would take for that to get to the DE????

Days or hours?????

In our district the rumor mill is horrible.

how is the DE going to react knowing one of his units is going to depart in mass????

Remove the leadership to prevent it.

I am thinking that this might be a good program for the young ladies in our group??????? We could run it parallel to the Boys in the BSA program.

Went to Mo.Unit site and found another for an active Canadian Unit camping event with old fashioned Scout skills,interesting!!

Here is Washington MO,USA Unit :http://www.10thdanielboone.org/-

the Mo group also is on FB.

Looks like there is also a Unit in CT and several out west.

Yes, I had scope drift.........

Initially my post was merely replacing the parent organization from the BSA to the BPSA.

Tough sell to all involved.

But wait, a possible fit. The girls who are in an adhoc sort of den already not really earning advancement now have an organization to join with its own advancement.....