12 Year Old Boy Stops Robber

Good video example.

Some related points I make when I teach leadership

1. Be aware of surroundings (dangers, resources,...)

2. Alert to situation (both current and potential)

3. Quick to act

4. Safety of others

5. Brave

My $0.02

Baden-Powell might recognize Schiff's points 2-5 as "Pluck."

"Pluck" is the first word of the first chapter of B-P's 1900 manual Aids to Scouting. The military book's wild popularity with boys during the Boer War led to his invention of Boy Scouting:

Pluck, Self-Reliance, and Discretion.

The main key to success in scouting is to have pluck and self-reliance. I will show you what these are, and how to get them.

PLUCK. -- Many people will tell you that pluck is not a thing that can be taught a man; it is either born in him or he has not got it at all.

But I think that, like many other things, it is almost always in a man, though, in some cases, it wants developing and bringing out. The pluck required of a scout is of a very high order.

A man who takes part in a Balaclava Charge is talked of as a hero, but he goes in with his comrades all round him and officers directing; he cannot well turn back.

How much higher, then, is the pluck of the single scout who goes on some risky enterprise alone, on his own account, taking his life in his hand, when it is quite possible for him to go back without anybody being the wiser; but he carries it out because he thinks the result to his side will be worth the risk he runs.

Such pluck is very much the result of _confidence_in_himself_ (Robert Baden-Powell, Aids to Scouting, 1900)