Scout Themed Garage Overall

My wife submitted our garage to a television makeover reality show. They come in, force you to sort thorough all your stuff into 3 piles (keep, donate, throw away) and then spruce up your garage. They get a TV show and we get a refreshed garage. Anyway looks like we were selected. The producer wants to turn my garage into a Pinewood Derby factory with laminate flooring. I explained that is Cub Scouts and I haven't had anything to do with that for at least 5 years. I am a leatherwork and woodcarving MB counslor and could use a work table/bench to host MB classes. They want to frame and hang patches and other memoribilia up.

Was wondering if any of you had any Boy Scout related theme ideas that would help steer them away from pinewood derby and into a usable garage space. Parking cars, standard workshop, or craft center is too mundane. They need some unique and different theme to draw in viewers.

A few thoughts off the top of my head:

Buy some of the posters from ScoutStuff and put them in frames to hang in your garage. Specifically, I'm thinking about these two:

http://www.scoutstuff.org/merits-of-scouting-poster.html

http://www.scoutstuff.org/1910-2010-csatari-poster.html

There are also posters with the Scout Oath, Scout Law, and Outdoor Code.

For displaying patches (if they insist), I'd recommend a hide rack:

It looks rustic and would be perfect for a "Scout Cave."

http://boyslife.org/hobbies-projects/projects/8223/make-a-hide-rack/

Finally, maybe they could add shelves for camping equipment and come up with some way to display your uniform?

I hope these help!

I would try to go all adventure and suck up to national (cuz I think it is going to be soooo cool) and would go with a Bechtel adventure theme. . .climbing, rafting, high adventure with some downtime for woodcarving. . .

Congrats and good luck, I am officially jealous! :)

[insert envy emoticon here]

Have them figure out something to do with all those ribbons. Weave them into a doormat or lampshade or something.

Boy scout "factories" could include: Klondike derby, rope-making, backpack repair, tent care, climbing gear maintenance. Those are things where you may need a little more space from floor to ceiling. You also may need some way to utilize the outside, (e.g. a drying rack for canvas or nylon tents that would make it easy to hang them for the afternoon and quickly fold at the end of the day).(This message has been edited by qwazse)

Maybe a wood timber veneer wall with lashings supporting it all? Kinda like western fort thing?

Another wall could be olive green with some sort of mossy oak paint scheme and maybe scout posters.

Gotta have a a couple chairs and a table that are wood/ timber/logs all lashed together and your canbinets could be made from recycled wood like on that Old Yankee woodsmith show...or whatever it was called.

Your work bench could be recycled woos with maybe the scout symbol inlaid in the wood with different wood types making up the different colors, then shelack the whole thing or polturethane it.

For display purposes, hand some old homemade pioneer style type woodworking tools on a pegboard on one wall.

I am reminded of a certain other "makeover" show, where they give the family a really beeyouteefull home that has no bookcases or shelf space for "stuff".

Scout theme: *Canoe rack. And paddles and PFDs.

*Shelves for camp gear.

*Lashed together table and chairs.

*Work bench with adjustable clamps etc. for carving, adjustable pegs for beadwork, lots of little drawers for all your leather stamps and knives and punches.

* Overhead worklight with stainglass Scout symbols showing thru.

* Silva compass for light string pull.

* Baden-Powell quote inlaid in tile in the floor.

* Scout Promise and/or law around the edge of the ceiling.

* Old hiking boots nailed to the side of the garage as bird houses. House wrens love mine.

* Coleman stove (or Primus?) permanently installed and converted into a coffee pot warmer.

* Row of vintage Scout caps and hats hung decoratively (useable?) along the ceiling edge.

* Wall cases to display those old shoeboxes full of patches and neckers your wife secretly pulled out from under your bed.

* Doorbell button elicits "Reveille" bugle call.

PM me so I can give you my address so they can send my consulting check.