Time for BSA to prohibit soccer

I came across this story today, about a 6 year old boy who was crushed to death by a soccer goal. According to the story, there have neen at least 10 other deaths over the last 10 years from similar occurrences.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/chicago/zack-law-soccer-safer-tragedy-114143583.html

Here is another story about another boy, who coincidentally was a cub scout:

http://www.4029tv.com/news/26631403/detail.html

Certainly, these represent far more youth fatalities than are caused by water guns, laser tag, etc. If National were truly concerned about safety, wouldn't they do something about this genuine risk involving a major part of their Scoutreach program rather than coming up the nonsensical rules that are often the subject of discussion here?

Like I said before, if we didn't live in the land of the suing happy lawyer, perhaps BSA wouldn't need such ridiculous rules.

And actually, it's getting to the point where I am truly surprised that BSA even allows any kind of outdoor or even active indoor activity anymore.

No offense to all the lawyers in this forum, but I sure wish there were consequences to frivolous suing and I sure wish juries weren't so dang lenient with awarding dumb people for getting burnt with hot coffee.

Like I said before, if we didn't live in the land of the suing happy lawyer, perhaps BSA wouldn't need such ridiculous rules.

Funny, I thought BSA came up with the Health & Safety rules in order to assist us with providing a safe program and reducing the chances of injury to those youth in our charge.

I sure wish there were consequences to frivolous suing

There are. Every state, and the federal court system have rules barring frivolous filings, and many allow fee shifting or other sanctions for it. Unfortunately, the example alluded to is not such a case. It involved a restaurant chain that made a decision to brew and serve coffee at a temprature just shy of boiling, despite the fact that such tempratures are not necessary to brew quality coffee. Lowering the temprature by even a few degrees, like most other restaurants and home coffee makers do, would have likley reduced the severity of injury. But that is a subject for an OT thread.

I hear-tell that BSA is planning on banning the playing of Chess with wooden game pieces for fear of infected slivers.

And with all there is to be said about Red Rider BB guns "shooting yer eye out", one would think that this activity should be banned as well.

hmmm....

Sorry, couldn't think of any more stupid suggestions for the BSA to consider in the coming months. I'll have to consult with my lawyer....

Stosh

There is the MS case where a doctor was sued by an unhappy patient of his late father. Despite informing the plantiff's lawyer that it was his dead father who treated the patient, and not himself, for an medical procedure that occured several years before (I think it was 5 or 6 years before), the defending doctor needed a lawyer and went to court before it was dismissed.

The defending doctor had to pay out of pocket if memory serves for a lawyer because it was not a case of malpractice and his insurance would not cover him. And if memory serves, the defendent then had to sue the plaintiff for costs, hence another lawsuit and more lawyer fees.

mom,

I get you point about what you are saying, but it's interesting because a week ago, I watched a documentary about the woman who was burnt by Micky D's coffee.

I totally changed my mind about it

For starters, the media went nuts and stated a bunch of half and partial truths.

Turns out the woman wasn't driving, but a passenger.

She admits it was her fault she spilled the coffee in her lap.

Coffee was at 190 degrees per McDonalds specs for standing coffee ( after being brewed)

Micky D's had over 700 complaints that year alone about tghe coffee and their representative laugfhed when asked what was going to be done.

The woman recieved 3rd degree burns on her crotch area and had to have numers ares cut away and multiple skin grafts.

To this day, she still has severe scarring, loss of feeling and problems walking due to muscle damage.

The lawsuit of 2 million was reduced to $400,000.00

Part of the settlement was a non disclosure and barring of speaking about the settlement, but that did n ot include her kids who decided to make a documentary at their own cost for the sake of truth and principle.

Yeah, I hijacked the thread and I did not mean to...but It's funny because until I saw that documentry last week, I too would have used that as my first and foremost example of a jury going flat out nuts!

Blanc,

Can I attach a rider on your petition to also ban any and all insignia and awards that are attached to uniforms and hats by way of pins?

In this day and age of over sanitizing, washing hands and plastic bubbles, today's youtrhy just do not have an immune system that is used to and capable of handling any and all types of germs. Imagaina Webelos scout going camping, losing the backer off one of the two pins holding his Webelos colors on his arm. The pin makes small, and at the most irritating pricks...but they are like injections of staff, strep, hanta virus, and possibly the remains of salavia of any rabid animal that passed through the area where that scout may be at!

WE are facing an epidemic! Run for the hills I tell yah - but apply sanitizer first! and file your tour plan! :)

Scoutfish: well, that was an education. You saying 400 degrees, doesn't mean anything..how hot is hot coffee supposed to be? I mean, what the temperature of coffee from your coffeemaker? But yeah, I see your point. But you knew it was just an example. I'm sure there are thousands of frivolous lawsuits being filled every year. And BSA is no exception. I know that 99% of those rules are CYA.

Oh yeah...no doubt there are thousands of frivilous lawsuits. It's just that i saw something about that particular one last week , and then you used it.

Thing is, Mc Donalds policy books stated the coffee had to be at a standing temp of between 180 to 190 degrees.

Basically, you have something that is between 20 and 30 degrees from boiling.

But yeah, I get you point about the United States of The Offended who sue anybody for everything because nothing is our own fault and somebody else should pay out the butt for our woes!

While in EMT training we had a session on "The Good Samaritan Law" that "protects" people trying to help others. With that being said, those laws have no meaning.

As Eagle92 points out being sued and winning is still a costly proposition.

In America anyone can sue anyone else for divorce even if they are not married to them. They can never win, but the person being sued is going to have to pay in court to have the case thrown out.

While I was an advisor for a reenacting crew, I carried the BSA $1,000,000 liability policy, a $2,000,000 reenactor policy through the group I work with, and another $1,000,000 personal umbrella policy. I often wonder if I had enough coverage.

After 60 years of living in America, the biggest lesson I've learned: when it comes to $$$, trust no one!

Stosh

Scoutfish said:

Can I attach a rider on your petition to also ban any and all insignia and awards that are attached to uniforms and hats by way of pins?

This reminded me of a converstaion on Facebook I had with a mother about the Merit Badge Sash Pin. I said it was a stupid item b/c a safety pin can solve the problem very easily and cheaply. Mom said safety pins can be dangerous as they stick the scouts when pinning them on. I reminded her that it shouldn't be a problem since most scouts have Totin Chip and can use a knife, ax, and saw safely, so a safety pin should not be a problem.

Flammable? Well, I have had some very nasty coffee from many fast food places...so that is debateable.

The coffee was just under the boiling point.

The exact temp? Don't know. But written policy put it at being kept at 180 to 190 while just sitting in a pot after being brewed- but before being served.

Basically, the pot that they were about to pour your coffee from - it was supposed to be that hot.

Thiung is, the degree of the burn is not just based on what caused the burn. It is not based on wether flammible, electrical or chemical.

The degree is based on the depth of and severity of the burn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burn

"Burns can be classified by mechanism of injury, depth, extent and associated injuries and comorbidities.

Third degree (full thickness) Extends through entire dermis

Appearance: Stiff and white/brown

Texture Dry, leathery Painless because of loss of nerve fibers (extensive peripheral pain where 2nd-degree burns lie)

Requires excision

Scarring, contractures, amputation