Unless you're considering this for a council event or property, cannons are prohibited for unit use:

From the Guide to Safe Scouting:

"Cannons and Large-Bore Artillery

Units are not authorized, under any circumstances, to use a cannon or any other large-bore artillery device."

I've seen 'em or things like 'em used. One Sea Scout ship I know seems to be particularly fond of theirs. ;)

And no, a miniature toy replica is not a cannon or large bore artillery piece for da purpose of G2SS.

B

If memory serves me correctly, a scout was killed by one of these things at a BSA summer camp somewhere in the USA a few years back. That might explain why BSA frowns on these devices.

I will miss receiving cannon reports from newbie campers.

First I will not tell the story about my joruney to find a Cannon Report, suffice to say it ranks with Snipe Hunting and all things wrong with a culture of lets belittle and humiliate the little guys and wonder why they dont stick as members

Next, big bang canons work with pulverized calcium carbide and water, they do not blow up they do not explode, they are toys

they make noise they are fun

I have a big bang canon, heck they make them in the neighborhood. I have muzzle loading guns, they are not the same

Yah, eisley, the incident you're thinkin' about was about 8 years ago in Oregon, eh? Completely different. There the camp was firing a genuine cast-iron cannon similar to an old sailing vessel swivel gun.

Even though straight cast iron cannon should not really be fired these days without a steel reinforcing tube, it probably would have been OK except that they used fine-grained powder, gave it a "double-load" for effect, and plugged the end with somethin' they thought would be a fun projectile (like a potato gun).

Has nuthin' at all to do with the Conestoga cannons fuzzievohs is talkin' about.

Beavah

:) There are so many people out there that don't know what they're doing it makes it impossible for those that do.

When I was at scout camp 50 years ago the I remember the ceremonial cannon used at flags. It was a small 2-3' cannon loaded with black powder and then pieces of wood hammered into the end of the barrel to increase the back pressure and thus produce more noise. I can still remember hearing those pieces of wood splintering off into the trees down range in the woods. Being a dumb 11 year old kid it was impressive, but I had no idea how stupid that whole process was.

Modern use of cannon for some has progressed to a very high level of safety. There are national schools that teach people the protocol and rules necessary to maximize the safety of both those shooting the gun as well as those standing around. Annual certification (i.e. Totin' Chip for big guns) is self-mandatory for many groups. The only downside is that not all groups that have cannon are certified. Even though we have our rock climbing, shooting, and COPE people all certified, no one ever thinks that the fool behind the cannon ought to be too. After all how can shooting blanks be a big deal? Well, just ask any reenactor, and be prepared for enlightening dissertation on safety.

While carbide guns might be perceived as "safer" than black powder cannons, the concussion to produce a large noise is still dangerous as is the high decibel level everyone around subjects themselves to. Remember, there is ALWAYS more than noise coming out of the barrel of any gun shooting blanks. So where in G2SS is this mentioned? Units can't shoot cannon, but every other BSA fool can?

Stosh

One reason why I loved my old council, when they wanted the "big guns" for events, they called in the artillery, specifically the Washington Artillery of New Orleans Re-enactors, not to be confused with the 141st Field Artillery Regiment (Washington Artillery).

Folks complain about rules and regulations and how long and onerous the rules and G2SS are and yet when an attempt is made to be clear and consise, otherwise smart Scouters raise all kinds of questions about it. BSA covers it in one line and that is all that is needed: "cannon and large-bore artillery".

Other topics are covered by another "rule": although it is not specifically stated in the G2SS or elsewhere, the best rule or advice is very simple: "don't be stupid".