Who Causes the Most Trouble in Units?

Well, this thread has taken a diversion but it's been interesting.

What I will say regarding the sports comparisions is...AND HOW!!!!

You tell me the last little league/soccer/Pop Warner team that changed their schedule one minute to meet the needs of a boy.

"Why do we do fundraising in fall? Every other organization does?"

So, tell the other organization to change.

"Why do we have XYZ event on the date of ABC organization's event?"

So, tell ABC organization to change.

Yah?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about cross-over parents ... try having the SPL give them "the talk" while the boys are off getting acquainted with their troop guide.

Keep in mind that you will probably have to have a follow-up discussion on the patrol method six months later.

If our SM is not causing the most trouble, as per Thomas54, we have a problem.

Likewise, as Crew Advisor, if I'm not causing the most trouble, we have a problem.

(AK-Eagle, This includes troubling CC's who think I shouldn't be spelunking and driving on the same day!)

Most people in the units I work with or have worked with would say that I'm the one "who causes the most trouble". Do to simple fact that I expect and demand that the program be ran by BSA guidelines and policies, and that the youth of the program make all the decisions pertaining to the program, youth led and youth ran.

I also expect volunteer leaders to do what they said they would do when they signed up as a leader. Which is to put in the time required in the position in which they serve. And if they choose not to, just can't, or just won't, then I expect them to get out of the way and let someone who will.

Gary - Would be great if our troop would expect that. We have one SM and like 4 or 5 ASM's my husband who is advancement coordinator for the troop is relied on to be one of the ones going on the events. the ASM's do not..

Engineer - my son loved provisional.. He went to different camps, and met different people. He would do 2 weeks per summer one with the troop and provisional, and he would sell enough popcorn to pay for his provisional week.. Our camps offer provisional every week, and it is full usually with more then 8 boys more like 12 to 20 boys each week. I guess some boys enjoy provisional. And if a parent wants to be one of the leaders at the provisional camp for the week they are welcome (if for some reason you have a timid boy.)

Moose, sounds like it time to get rid of some ASM's. My guess is that most of these ASM's are parents who want to hang around meetings with their kid, but are not serous about the program. If their kid don't go on the campout then they don't ether.

ASM's who are in it for their own boys should be strongly encouraged to start their own troop.

Members of committee who put in time for other boys (helping with two deep when their kid isn't going, etc ...), should be strongly encouraged to be ASMs.