Tour Permits & Insurance connection..

Well I'm out of the loop of the troop. I took my crayons and went quietly home when I saw the new leadership and roughly six month of their effect on what use to be a well run troop. I now play with the District Training, I have just signed up for a Pack (not associated with this CO), I want to relearn the cub scouting process, from a good strong unit.

But, I might suggest my husband poise the question to the CC, COR & SM..

Beavah - all I can say about my son getting the car insurance from people, is he has tried & tried, and he would if he could.. But with a SM telling everyone it is unnecessary, and refusing to give his own info, he gets no place fast. If he ever does get the info, he can permenantly plug it all into the on-line tour permit and check them all when making out a new one. That is as good as the old paper form in that regards.

I would probably not care so much if they treated the TP as a worthless piece of crap, so told him to falsify it. But, they have him believing it is a very important legal form needed for insurance and then tell him to falsify it. Which is what causes him to feel like a criminal every time he is forced to falsify it..

I'll admit, I'm preaching to myself here ...

Two instances where tour permits - especially the drivers info - served us well ...

1. On a trip inside our district there was a serious accident. Arriving at our destination, SM was informed by police, but not which car or whom. (It was that serious, the seargent had a lot to deal with.) Using our copy of the TP, the rest of us could identify that info. We could also quickly mobilize council resources to help us.

2. While plowing, a ranger dented the fender of a boy's parked car. Using the council's copy of the TP, the responsible executive had all he needed to push the claim filed first thing Monday AM. We could go on with the weekend "worry free."

If any of the TP info had been falsified, communication would have been slowed, and we would not have been effective in dealing either situation. And I assure you that parents were grateful that paperwork-after-the-fact was not an issue in either case.

So forget the insurance connection. The purpose of TP's is communication. Fill it out right, fill it out partly and send ammendment to your service center the day before pulling out, or don't go.

And MT, tell your son when anyone asks you him lie, walk away. Try not to cuss while doing so.

'nuf said.