Committee Meeting and Scoutmasters

It was brought up in the Dismissed scoutmaster thread that the SM should be at the committee meeting.

I agree, in fact too often when the SM is not there the committee goes off on tangents and takes a vote or makes a decision about a troop issue without input from any of the SM's.

But the lure of having a parent's (er committee) meeting while the kids are being attended to by the SM is just too tempting. The parents get together and a few vocal ones will want a campout date changed or some other thing. The other indifferent parents go along with this and then the SM has to come back in at a later date and re-evaluate or expalin why the change is not good.

Most of this can be avoided if the SM is present at the Committee meeting.

Does you committee meet on a separate night from the troop? Are the SM(s) present at these committee meetings?

Our troop meets every Monday except the third Monday of the month. This is when the PLC is held followed by the Committee meeting. The Scoutmaster stays for both and delivers his report to the committee. This also allows for the person responsible for arranging logistics for an event to report to both the PLC and the committee in one night.

Not that I would suggest our troop as a model, but as a data point...

We meet separately from troop meetings, once a month, and sometimes committee members will discuss things in either email or off to the side at a regular troop meeting. Our SM only misses committee meetings when he's out of town. In the last three years, I can't recall having a vote on anything -- we run on a consensus basis, and I don't recall any cases of dissension.

Guy

The key participant at the troop committee meeting is the Scoutmaster. The committee cannot properly do its job without first getting a report from the SM about the needs and doings and challenges of the troop. The SM needs to know that the committee members are handling the tasks they must do so the SM can focus on his job.

Our committee meeting is held a seprate night so the SM & any ASM that may come (or come to represent the SM) are present.

The SM chooses not to come or send a representative, since he is protesting not having a vote at the committee meetings. Instead he sends an email of the SM report & agenda.

I no longer am part of the troop (husband & son are).. But if the committee decides on something he doesn't like, it's his fault for choosing not to attend. And no one will give him the vote because they do not care for his childish attitude.

But, with normal troops.. Yes have your committee meeting seprate, SM should attend, for all the good reasons others have stated.

As a Scoutmaster, I was dismayed that our troop refused to have committee meetings not coincide with troop meetings.

Scoutmasters are not committee members, do not "vote" on committee matters (another subject about voting in general is needed) but should attend committee meetings.

The troop committee challenge is clear on this subject.

Yah, I remember a troop at one point that started that sort of thing, where the committee met without the SM.

The SM in turn just ignored the committee and kept runnin' the program without them. Asked individual parents to do tasks, etc.

After a few months fewer and fewer people showed up at the "official" committee meeting and instead showed up at whatever meeting the SM called. Tended to get the supportive parents and helpful types.

Da others I'm sure kept talking on their own but not accomplishing much. Eventually da supportive parents and helpful types became the official committee. Troop really started to thrive after that.

Beavah

Son's troop meets each Mon eve. PLC on different eve once a month.

Committee usually meets once a month before reg troop meeting. SM, ASMs, and non-members welcome. No votes excluded except to avoid any conflict of interet appearances. Occasional disagreements resolved (thus far) without fisticuffs. Extra meetings (or cancellation) as needed. Committee rarely has extra meetings without non-members (although with SM and ASMs).

In our troop the Committee meets on it's own night separate from the Scout meetings. The SM is invited as a courtesy to attend if he/she wishes.

The CC and SM have an agreement: CC deals with adult issues and the SM deals with boy issues. When the two bump into each other, the CC and SM sit down and work out a solution over a cup of coffee.

On Committee meeting nights, if the SM can't or doesn't wish to attend he/she, as a return courtesy, submits a "state of the troop" report that is entered into the agenda of the Committee meeting. If there is no report or there is no need to make a report, it is assumed that everything is running smoothly with the boys. Usually the CC and SM make a connection to verify everything and no formal report is made in these circumstances. No one likes to assume anything. :)

As a side note, the CC and SM see the boy-led, patrol-method as the primary emphasis in the troop. The CC understands that the Committee is available to the boys as support of the boys' program. There are no decisions of the Committee which imposes, directs, mandates, etc. anything on the program run by the boys.

As an example, the boys are running this year's popcorn sales and made decisions as to what they would like to do with the troop money collected. It was decided that it would go into new tents and stoves. They took a pass on the individuals' prizes the council was offering and instead asked for the money. In my report (SM) I noted this and the first thing the Committee decided was to find different ways to supplement that decision and decided to approach the CO and ask for their monetary support for new equipment as well. They also directed the treasurer to work with the finances of the popcorn sale to insure the money was earmarked appropriately, and the members of the Committee decided to research camping outlets to see if they could find a good price/equipment for the boys to consider when it came time to make the purchase.

I know this sounds a wee bit Pollyanna, but it works for us. If the time comes when this "arrangement" is politically upsetting the parents, the parents are more than welcome to take over the CC and SM positions and put in whomever they wish. So far for the past 3 years, the parents have backed this CC/SM arrangement 100%.

Stosh

Same as 'Schiff.

Having the Committee meet at the same time/place also makes it more convenient for the scouts to address the Committee when requested or desired ( i.e.. we ask the scouts to present their proposed Eagle projects to the Committee ).

My CC gives me time up front to address the group, then they go about their business. If I'm needed for subsequent discussion, I'm just around the corner.