Committee rules running amuck

I am unsure what SAS is.. the IOLS though is a required course for SM, ASM, and crew advisors if their crew has an outdoor program. There will be one year when only top leaders SM & CM will be required to have complete training, then the next year those working with the youth, (ASM, ACM, DL, ADL etc)..

this is the most official page I can find, it comes from myscouting.org.

http://scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/BoyScouts/Adults/Training/Trained%20Leader.aspx

Other ones come from councils.

http://www.cdbsa.org/Training/LeaderTrainingRequirements_2009-09-07.pdf

http://www.yuccabsa.org/CalendarItems/Yucca%20Council%20Training%20Policy.pdf

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At our Commissioner Conference about 6 weeks ago, our Council Commissioner informed us that the mandatory position specific training recharter requirement which was to go into effect next year has been put on hold due to ongoing issues with BSA's record keeping software.

"We are suppose to get new software (good software) before it goes into effect."

That isn't going to be an immediate fix. There are still many people out there who are fully trained, but it was never properly recorded. That missing data is not going to magically show up in the new program.

Here is an example. Four people from our unit attended a RT earlier this year where they offered YPT. All of us signed in. I just recevied an updated training list from council and 2 of the 4 who I can verify attended this class are shown as needing YPT.(This message has been edited by the blancmange)

Weird half you class got credit & half did not. Normally I see an all or nothing.

Yes, I sent out to each unit a report where a seprate page showed what council had recorded for their training. The units are now able to "SEE" what is missing and able to create a list of those courses they took they did not get credit for.

This helps in two ways.

1) We had true anger when we told the adult leaders to list every training they took, because we didn't know what we had. This way, we still showed that things weren't all recorded right, but we did have most of it. People did not react in anger over it. they were happy to finally get an opportunity to see what the council had.

2) Our registrar doesn't get a list of "ALL" Trainings from everyone, and get over-whelmed by what needs to be researched and recorded when 3/4 is recorded ok. The people did the research for him, and he only got a list what truely needed to be entered.

I gave them this just before school started, I will re-pull the council records mid-November and send it out again. If they are not recorded for YPT, they will know those people need to give them a paper YPT proof for the day of registration.

I am hoping also to see an improvement in what these units have recorded for their adult trainings.

• 1 month later...

A little follow up on required training.

I corresponded with our DE, who informed me that the only nationally required training at this time is YPT. He stated that some councils have adopted "pilot" programs that require IOLST for all adult leaders, and he said that National is heading in that direction.