For some time now, I have been musing with the idea of joining NESA. The big problem I have with the idea is that it seems like a paid five-year subscription to NESA's magazine and not much else. Now I know that in theory NESA can do some very worthwhile things, but I haven't seen it in practice. What do you old Eagles out there think?

Having been a NESA rep for a former council, in the seventies, I know that it CAN be beneficial if we work at it. Our district was able to find a number of unknown resources during that period. However, ever since coming to my current council, I have not seen NESA be as good a resource as it could be. They technically sponsor the annual Eagle Recognition, but I do not see members actively involved in doing so currently, though in the 80's they were. We even displayed the NESA banner. Why not now? I am not sure.

The list that each council has as a resource from NESA is a tool that HAS, on occasion, brought our local council strong new leaders and council support. But the potential, in my opinion, is still not being tapped. Why? I really feel it is mostly because "someone" on the council level either does not want it to do so for some reason, or they simply do not understand its possibilities.

I KNOW that there are chapters in some councils that do approach the potential of NESA. Here, we have yet to find the resolve or right catalyst to do so.

While it has such potential for service and strengthening units directly, I see its use in most councils as only a fund raising resource. That is important; but that is not the intent. I keep hoping that someone with enough clout will finally reach beyond that here; but so far they have not. My own offers to work with it, have fallen on deaf ears; and I am afraid it has something to do with my lack of substantial financial or political resources.

Still, one can hope. In the meantime, try to encourage it anyway, as even one "found" Eagle might be the key at some point.

Well, I saw this one coming after the comments on the Eagle for adults topic...

NESA, or not to NESA, that is the question. I've never seen NESA (the organization, not its individual members) accomplish anything on its own that was very significant in any of the Councils we've benn involved in. So no reason to join - right?

The one thing NESA does, and the reason I made sure my own son has a lifetime membership, is maintain contact with the Eagle. No matter where they move that magazine subscription comes in - even if the Eagle is not registered with a Council. This reminder of Scouting MAY one day influence the formerly active Scout to reconnect after college, military service, etc. and get involved with Scouting in their community. Does this work? I don't know. I have provided memberships to the new Eagles in three Councils. Most are involved, one is not (except for taking on a staff position at the upcoming Jambo). Did NESA impact any of these? I honestly can't say.

Now I think NESA COULD and SHOULD be accomplishing more. But like all things in these organizations it requires active and motivated leadership with a vision. I have never made NESA my own priority for involvement and those that have do their best and I am glad they were willing to take it on.

I think NESA should be actively involved and represented at every Eagle ceremony. NESA seems a natural resource for advancement committee folks, outdoor folks, etc. NESA members seem to be the right choice for helping get the word out about upcoming Eagle projects (to the press, other youth organizations, other Scout units, etc) and to mentor upcoming Eagles, and maybe even to provide speakers to community organizations about Scouting. There could be a lot of ways for NESA to be tapped as a resource. But it takes members who are willing to do it and a leader with the vision (and time) to bring it all together.

Now, individual NESA members have been some of the most actively involved Scouters I know. Especially in major, but usually behind the scenes, positions. They are often the bulwark of Scouting traditions and activities in a community. But this is because they believe in Scouting, not because of their NESA affiliation.

I encourage all Eagles I meet to join NESA - and I provide the form. I believe its potential is worth the effort.

Moving around as a military guy for 25+ years, I have only come across one council that had any semblance of a NESA chapter. No footprint in the others. One council, in fact, had an Eagle alum organization that was completely homegrown with no known to connections to NESA.

My goal, when I retire from the military and begin career number 2, is to either work with the local NESA chapter or start one. But as others have mentioned, NESA appears to be a newsletter and a fundraising avenue. There is a new, expanded NESA website that encourages networking, so perhaps that is a step in the right direction.

But I do wonder about NESA's motivations--how committed it really is to getting old eagles involved again. And I wonder about local council support for NESA if in fact a chapter wanted to make it's mark. Not sure how folks would view an official band of eagle alums influencing policy and events.

If you have a chapter at your location, and want to bolster that, I'd recommend signing up. Otherwise, your time and money are probably better spent at the pack/troop/crew/ship level.

PS NESA must have some influence at National, as the special NESA Life Member Eagle knot was approved for wear last year.(This message has been edited by desertrat77)

My Council does not have an organized chapter and it hasn't since 1979 that I am aware. Some folks attempted to start one and sent letters to Eagle Scouts in the area. I went to the meeting only to find out that they were starting a Sertoma club instead. The Sertoma club has been a good supporter of the Council and our camps.

Lifetime member of NESA. Per advice from my dad, after I was out of college, and began working, the "automatic" 5 year membership was ending. I asked my dad's advice on joining NESA as a life member. He said: "If you plan on being involved for a long time, or even the rest of you life, join! It will be a benefit to you in the future." So I did, about 20 years ago.

My local council does not have an active chapter. They tried to start a homegrown one, but it seems to have fizzled.

Would love to see it more active, more than just a quarterly magazine. Do agree with most; needs someone on their board to step it up.

I don't even get the magazine.

My son was given a life membership when he received his Eagle more than a year ago. Neither of us have ever received the magazine.

The telemarketing company they sold my name to that sells the Eagle Scout alumni directories does a great job. Those guys are relentless! They're not very good a compiling directories, however. One rainy afternoon I set out to find look up the names of all the fellow Eagles I know. I found about one of three names.

/sarcasm off

I've yet to see a benefit of membership either for myself, my son or our troop. I know of no active involement by the NESA in our council.

"The telemarketing company they sold my name to that sells the Eagle Scout alumni directories does a great job."

FWIW, Harris is not a telemarketing company, and the BSA didn't sell your name to them. They hired them to update the list of Eagle Scouts. But if they couldn't contact certain Eagles, they won't have correct info.

Harris did similiar work for my Fraternity.

My parents got me a lifetime membership when I earned my Eagle a decade ago. Since then, the only benefit I see is the magazine showing up at my house from time to time, no more, no less. It occasionally has some nice articles, but other than that, I don't see a real need to have a glorified quarterly yearbook of the rather demographically homogeneous group of Eagles they give scholarships to each and every year.

NESA can and should do more, but the fact of the matter is that it doesn't.

There is a benefit in the Eagle Directory online now, and a career section of that website as well. The problem is trying to get more members to utilize these things. Too long have members seen it only as a magazine subscription, and they've become complacent. If we want NESA to become an actual benefit to us, we have to work with them to get it to that point. Not just for us, but for future Eagles to come.