Eagle92 in another post made a comment with which I agree. He wrote, "On another note, what do you mean the troop is out for summer? Please tell me your troop is not a 9 month troop? Scouting is year round, and some of the best trips are over the summer."

I was a Scout during the 80's and an active ASM during and after college right up until I joined the Marines. After that I moved a few states away. I did keep my registration with the troop and showed up for special events when I could travel. My troop met year round and it was a blast. The atmosphere was pretty relaxed during the summer meetings in that there were no uniforms, the Scout Skills training was shortened, and the game lengthened. Plus, Eagles returned from college and helped out like Eagles should. Few "aged out" completely. Most became ASM's. In addition to summer camp, we usually did another trip. I recall a few were canoe trips. Always had a good turnout for meetings and events during the summer.

Fast forward to today. I am still registered with my original troop from my hometown as an ASM. I am also registered with my nephews' troop in the town where I live as a Committee Member. Last year, I became a Unit Commissioner and was assigned to five units: two packs, two troops, and one crew. (I am also an Assistant Troop Leader with my Troop Leader wife for my daughter's Girl Scout troop. What can I say? I love Scouting.)

It kills me inside that one of my packs, which is huge, is the most active of my units during the summer months, and they are only doing what is necessary for the Summertime pins! The two troops, the one crew, and my local troop all take the summer off with the exception that the troops do one week of summer camp. Apparently, this is the way it has been done for many, many years. I have inquired about summertime meetings and events with both Scouts/Venturers and Scouters/Advisors. The youth are split about 50/50 on meeting during the summer. The adults are dead flat against it. I got all types of excuses from the adults from "everyone is on vacation" to "the kids need a break." Really? Come on! I called them out on their excuses. You can't tell me that every Scout goes on vacation for the entire summer so that no one is around for meetings. And while I agree that kids need a break, the break is from school and not from having an adventure with Scouts. One Committee Member stood out. He looked me in the eye and said, "I just do not want to do Scouts during the summer." I thanked him for his honesty. So much for boy-led. I am discovering it is more like adult-manipulated.

Is this happening in your area too? Do troop, crews,and ships take the summer off? Do any have year long units? How do the units that meet only during the school year compare to those units who meet year long? Do they have retention issues? Is there are difference in FOS contributions? Do year long units do more fundraising? Do charter organizations care how often their units meet? Is your district or council trying to change the school year units into full year units or are they just going with the flow? Has anyone been successful in transforming a school year unit into a full year unit? If so, what did you do?

YiS,

Chazz Lees

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really have never heard of such a thing as a "summer-off" Troop in my area. It does seem to be rather common with Cub Packs.

From my perspective, I'm glad I am involved with a "summer-on" Troop. My work runs in seasonal cycles and July and August are the months that I am available to participate the most. We seem to have a lot going on in the summer. Summer camp, of course. A canoe trip is an annual routine and I usually head that up on the adult side. High Adventure trips have become an every two year tradition. There are council Order of the Arrow events in May and August that we have some level of participation in. Our meetings are pretty productive although we do spend more time outside. The older Scouts seem to be eager to find some direction on rank advancement since with no school, etc, they have more time to work on merit badges and service projects.

If you are a Troop that does actual Patrol activities, I think the summer time is a great time to do Patrol campouts or other excursions.

Frankly, maybe a Cub Pack taking a couple months off might be justified. I can't say as I was never involved in that part of the program. But I think there is just to darn much to do in Scouting for a Troop to take a summer off!

I just became the new CM of my pack. As it is right now, I have been with my pack for 2 full seasons and this summer ( this summer so far).

Now let me give a little background: When my son first joined this pack as a Wolf, the number of adults who actually did stuff was limited. The people who actually made an effort to be leaders ..just happened to be the people who made the effort to be the committees and volunteers.

It's not that they wanted to do it this way- they had no choice as no others gave a damn enough to do stuff.

Our former CM happened to be the CC as well as the treasurer too. She also happened to be the only experienced leadership that didn't cross over with their sons ...so for a few years, the only person with meaningful expetrienc.

So anyways, our pack takes the summer off. I nevere really got an "official " answer as to why, but I suspect it had something to do with that.

The few who did anything were burned out by summer time and ready to just do summer stuff or family stuff after spending the rest of the year having to do other families stuff too.

They just needed a break!

You know, the whole "20% doing for the other 80%!" thing.

But this last year, we managed to have a bunch of great people step up and make our committee a "real" committee. Instead of a few dens with just DL's....we had all dens with from 2 to 5 ADL's each. Then we had parents who didn't become ADL's or committee, but you could count on them like clockwork to be there.

So it's summer again.From what I have heard about the past, our pack had one or two summer fun days that might have included a kiddie pool, a slip and slide, and running through a water sprinkler at the CO, and another day where they played football or something in the nice toasty overbearing humid sun- then had cookies and milk.

Better than nothing I suppose?

So here it is, this summer and I set up 3 different fun days:

1) Fishing at a local sound side park. Gonna be late afternoon into evening. We are going to cook hot dogs, have ice cream and have ribbons and prizes for everything.

2) Going to a National park and watch people in full costume fire cannons and black powder guns. This was set up and arranged just for us. Can earn a BSA/ Council patch by participating in a scavenger hunt.

3) Going to spend a day at the Battleship USS Norh Carolina BB-55. This is also during the USS NC's "Blue and Grey Navy Days" celebrating the history of the ironclad CSS NC and sailing ship NC.

Okay, okay...long ( long) story short..... I have had a few DL's and parents start talking about possibly holding their den activities and meetings all year long.

So...is it me? Did I create a spark in the program?

That would be cool if it was true, but that's not it.

NOPE! Just that "That's how it always was" and the fact that nobody really planned much in the summer.

So here's what I'm thinking: Maybe packs and troops that take off for the summer are:

1) Not creative enough to carry year round.

2) Burned out by the time summer rolls around and just need a break ( which isn't out of reason, mind you) Not enough people to evenly carry the year long load.

or

3) Maybe that's just the way they always did it. Tradition ( sort of) There may be plenty who want to go all year long, but everybody thinks everybody else doesn't want to.

WOW! Sorry, I had no idea I would ramble on tnat long! :)

Incidentally, I am a person who is used to routine. All week long,I am ready for the weekend, but come Monday morning, work is a welcome return to routine. No, I'm not O.C.D. , Friday is great, Saturday is awesome , Sunday..contentment slips in, but come Monday..it's like coming home from vacation: Vacation is great, but nothing beats coming back home!

I go to bed around the same time each night wether i have to or need to or not. I wake up around the same time each day...even on weekends. ....wether I want to or not!

So .....to me , at least...holding the meetings the same time all year long is actually easier and more ...well..my routine.

Since I'm the one that bought it up. Growing up, the two troops I was in, not counting jambo/Canada troop, were active year round. Now only spent 6 months with one troop, so I don't know how they handled Christmas, but the main troop I was with only took 2 weeks off during the entire year: Christmas break. And even then, we had a few of us going to Winter Camp from 26 December to 31 December.

Also the the only other time we did not meet was Good Friday, and whenever the troop was camping, i.e. Summer camp, day after thanksgiving, etc. As mentioned, summer is when we were the most active, and lots of our college age ASMs returned.

Now in my current DISTRICT (caps for edit), with the exception of the troop chartered by my CO, all the troops take off for the summer. yes they do trips, summer camp, and what not, in fact one troop is just coming back form the AT, but they do not meet. It is bizarre IMHO.

In ref to CS, my understanding is that originally it was designed around a school year, hence the creation of the Summertime Pack Award(This message has been edited by Eagle92)

When I went from being a Cub Scout to being a Boy Scout, this was one of the big differences I got that the Troop met all year around. (another was we didn't get punch and cookies at the end of the meeting. :) )

Summer is when troops go to summer camp (week or 2), and usually their big summer trip (Philmont, a high adventure base or some other week long trip).

Ok, so some scouts maybe gone for a meeting or two, but I've never understood these families who disappear for a couple of months in the summer (most parents only get a couple of weeks of vacation). So I've never understood a troop shutting down for a summer.

Do all of you mean that your troop has regular weekly meetings during the summer? We do not, nor am I aware of any troops around here that do. There is some activity over the summer; the troop goes to summer camp for one week and a few boys who want more go provisional for another week or two. Two or three boys go to NYLT. The associated Venture crew, which overlaps about 50 percent with the troop (closer to 80 percent if you count college students who have aged-out of the troop), takes an annual one- or two-week trip, and this year is going to Philmont. There is sometimes an Eagle COH over the summer (including this year, my son's) and sometimes a service project or two. And this year the June camping trip is the weekend after school ends, so technically that is "over the summer" as well. And there is a PLC meeting toward the end of the summer to plan for the following school year, although the troop committee does not meet in July or August. But we don't have weekly troop meetings in the summer.

When I was in cubs my Dad was a teacher and we spent all summer every summer at our summer home. I honestly have no idea if my cub pack took summers off I know my brothers and I certainly did.

As a BS the rule (with my first troop) was you had to attend both of the two troop meetings prior to summer camp or you could not go.

Anyway if you are looking for ideas about how to address the issue the best I can suggest is that you should look at scouting's roots, or at least it's earlier days for guidance.

Here's (link to a) circa 1959 scoutcraft book discussing various pioneering projects. http://www.grumpyogre.com/dump/pionprojects.pdf The book is 97 pages long and the word "patrol" appears in it 87 times.

It discusses a patrol using a canvas tarp to build several types of rafts. And discusses nearly every project as a patrol activity. Notice scouting at its core is not "Older scouts work on pioneering while younger scouts work on tote 'n chip."

If ya want to fix the problem perhaps the way to do it is to find, (within the troop) a handful full of kids who are willing to continue scouting over the summer as a patrol.

Besides, absent the traditional leaders the kids are likely to step up and build leadership skills on their own. I know for me being a patrol leader and holding patrol meetings outside of troop meetings was one of the greatest scouting experiences of my life.

-One week we grabbed our fishing poles and hiked two miles to the nearby creek.

-Another week we "hiked" to the local football field and worked on compass skills by setting up 300-yard, 3-4 turn orienteering courses for each other.

- A third week we took a "bike hike" to a local park with a lake.

Of course these days with "two deep adult leadership and all two adults would ahve to tag along, but if the adults are just tagging along on events the kids thought up and planned and led themselves I'm sure the experience would be at least as valuble.

I short think of this as an opportunity. You've got some very good troops there. Now with a little nudge from you they can develop some grat patrols and great opportunities for the kids to practice leadership.

Anyway, that's my idea.

Is it so much "taking the summer off" or trying to cut back some activities throughout the summer? It's been discussed here before about the over scheduling of kids and how we're competing with other activities. I used to play baseball in the spring/summer, basketball and soccer in the fall. I can now sign my sons up to play ANY sport year round if I choose to and if I include the numerous amount of "camps" i.e. basketball, baseball, football, hockey, etc. I could literally schedule my sons entire summer vacation if I chose to. Thank goodness I can't afford all those camps.I told the parents in my den that I wouldn't have den meetings this summer, but the pack has created enough opportunities through the summer to get everybody together as a pack. We have 3 scheduled pack activities for June -August, and a couple of activities that families can come and go as they please. As far as our troop activities this summer, well. this is a strange year for us. We are about to have our last troop meeting and COH of the 09-10 year. Why...Our boys just got back from summer camp, We have 2 separate crew treks to Sea Base this year, 1 trek to Philmont, and our contingent of around 40 or so going to Jambo this year. Our troop is just spread thin around the country to try and get them all together for a campout. Oh, they also did their canoeing campout the first weekend of this month. Hopefully next summer won't be so hectic so the PLC can plan some summer activities

We've been in three troops. Two stateside and one here in Germany. Our current troop takes summers off because we really do scatter as soon as school gets out. Many go back to the States and/or take big vacations, lots of relatives are coming in, we've got 1/3 of our populaiton moving any given summer, etc. One of our Stateside troops spent weekly summer meetings playing games and working on things like T-2-1 skills, but maybe half the boys were there at any given time due to vacations, sports, or work. Our other Stateside troop took off after summer camp because of other things going on with many of our adults.

However, between the three troops I noticed no difference in fundraising, enthusiasm of Scouts, SM/ASM, or parents, retention, or any other marker. All three troops are very active from September through June. All three are the biggest in thier districts. And all three have really great people.

We meet year round, as do most of the Troops in the area. The Troop we initially joined doesn't hold Troop meetings during the summer. We will skip the meeting on the week of July 4th. Other than that, we will be holding weekly meetings. Yes, attendance will drop some due to family vacations, but we still have plenty of Scouts attend. It is a great time to work on finishing up merit badge partials from summer camp.

As a Scout, our favorite meetings were during the summer. No homework or school tests to worry about. We could stay later than usual, and it was a more relaxed atmosphere. We were either getting ready for Summer Camp, or talking about it afterwards.

Well, I am not gonna push for or against a full year schedule. The pack/troop/crew should do what they want and what workd for them.

AS my pack's new CM, I am not gonna push one way or the other. Right now, we break for summer, but have at least 1 fun day each month and do enough to earm the summer award. We have earned a quality unit award the last 3 years straight too. Something is working right.

We have cubs who go to day camp, weekend camp programs and resident camp. SOme do the parent son weekend thing. My son plans ( for now anyways) to go to Webelos camp. He also wants to spend days at the beach with his cousins, friends who are not scouts, visit some family, hang out with granddad at the garden, etc....

Personally for me...I miss it already! :)

WE meet every Monday during the active season. Pack meeteings, den meetings, leader meetings, and then theres roundtables on 1st Tuesday.

Hurry up and get done with work, eat at Andy's ( 50's style fast food gril) if we have time and haul butt to the meetings. Barely time to wash off and change into clean clothes, and I also get home late.

But I miss it.

Must mean I genuinely enjoy doing it. Tommorrow is our 1st sumer fun day. Going fishing at a sound side park, gonna cook hot dogs and sauch.

I can't hardly wait either. Then an entire month before we meet ( officailly) again.

So, depending on your pack/troop/crew a full year schedule may not be a burden, but something you really enjoy!

Again,it's what it is...TO YOU!

The regular meeting place for both the Pack and the Troop is the Parish Elementary School. The school shuts down for the summer, with only the Hall being open after masses. As a result neither the Pack, or the Troop hold regular weekly meetings, Pack Meetings, or COH's. However, they do stay busy, just a bit scaled back.

The Troop attends one, or two weeks of Summer Camp.

The council holds NYLT during the summer and I believe some Scouts are attending.

Some Scouts help staff Cub Summer Camp.

The Pack holds one or two events each month, along with attending Day Camp and Summer Camp.

Sometimes a den will get together for a service project.

After a busy, full school year, we like to scale back a bit in Summer. Burnt out leaders do not do anyone any good. By early-mid August Scouting starts gearing up for the new program year, and it's great when everyone is refreshed, and rarin' to go.

We do not scale back for the summer. We continue the weekly meetings, and do summer camp early, and some trips in July and August. We take the week off after summer camp (since we've been together for a week, you do need a break from each other). We understand that people take vacations and such during the summer. However, we give the scouts opportunities during the summertime meetings that you don't get other times during the year: swimming at the local pool, fishing, going to a baseball game, etc. Depending on what the PLC wants to do, we may do a day hike around the city, as the council offers a patch for a trail that has been laid out across the city.

Do all of you mean that your troop has regular weekly meetings during the summer?

Yah, that's exactly what we mean!

I've watched this phenomenon of "summer's off" troops grow steadily across quite a few areas over the last 20-30 years. I honestly can't figure it out.

Summer is da perfect time to be more active. Yeh have the lads undivided attention. Yeh don't have the pressures of school interfering. At least up here in da north you've got great weather. Even if some of your boys are involved in soccer / band / other camps, those usually run for only a week, eh? If your schedule is out early enough the lads have no trouble scheduling around it, and who cares if yeh have a few boys missing each week? You've got that because of sports/homework during the school season. Offer program to the rest of 'em.

And if your regular indoor meeting place isn't available during the summer, even better! It stays light out late, meet at a local park! Yeh know, outdoors ;). Scouts meeting outdoors, eh? Who'd a thunk it?

My best guess is that it happens because that summers-off thing is a feature of Cub Scouts, where da program tends to be tied to the school year. Then parents who move up from cubs tend to keep running things cub-style in all kinds of ways, including the summer's off thing.

Beavah