Like others, summers were our busy time with more activities going on. Grant you not everyone attended every meeting, but more folks attended the summer meetings thanany other. In addition to folks missing a meeting for vactions which only led to one or two folks being absent, the only times folks would miss a meeting were summer camp staff, folks attending a HA trip (we had folks going with council and other troops), and jambo folks.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My boys spent last week's meeting trying to find enough weekends to fit in all the things they want to do this summer. Including Memorial Day to Labor Day there are 15 weekends available. With Summer Camp (2 weekends shot!) and National Jamboree (3 weekends shot!) 4th of July is out, as is Memorial Day and Labor day themselves! Our CO has a big weekend for their fundraiser we're expected to be at in August, Dang, 9 of the 15 weekends are gone before we even start! We're looking for a whitewater canoe weekend, a general campout, and a couple of hikes, maybe one on a bike and we have only 6 weekends to consider.

The parents used to complain about too many activities going on in the troop, but I constantly let them know that their boy doesn't need to be at every single activity and the reason it's overbooked is because we know the boys are going to have to miss a few of them for family vacations and summer sports. I always use the example of what if we planned only summer camp and we just happened to pick the same weekend for that as you did for your family vacation. That means your boy misses out the whole summer for scout activities.

I have always been involved with a 12 month program. When I went back after WB and picked up a Webelos den as part of my ticket, I even turned that into a 12 month program that the kids really enjoyed. I had some parents complain in the beginning, but I assured them that their boy didn't need to come to the meetings in the summer time, but I would be holding meetings for those boys that did want to come. After just a couple of weeks, ALL the boys were back to coming full-time.

I'm thinking for the most part that 9-month programs are more for the adults than for the scouts. But, hey!, I registered for a year, my scouts registered for a year, and I'm under the impression that its up to me to see that they get what they paid for.

Stosh

Almost all troops in my area are 9 month troops. Two reasons...

1) Average temps here are 110 degrees in the summer. 90+ in the mountains.

2) A significant percentage of the troop travels away for the summer to visit other parent. (this is probably a constant across more troops now.

Engineer

Sorry I have to use this quote from when we were "red flagged" at summer field exercise when I was in JROTC due to weather in the 90s and 85% humidity:

"100+ degrees and 100% humidity... that's perfect football weather where we're from."

:)LOL

Seriously though in SE Louisiana, 100+ degree weather with 100% humidity is the norm. and we were still active. key was to A) drink lots of water, like 4 gallons/day B) pace yourself and C) Schedule as much "wet time" between 10 and 2 as possible.

We did lots of boating activities.

Well, if your smart in the SW US, you'll stay out of the 110+ 10% humidity. You'll dehydrate just breathing.

Not to mention the summer storms with 10000-15000 lightning strikes per hour.

Water time?? That's pretty funny....in my back yard maybe.

I don't know about others situations but if we didn't stay active in the summer A) there'd be a new Scoutmaster and B) the Troop would probably fold.

Scouts join our Troop because we are gone all the stinkin' time.

Some other Troops around count OA work weekends as their monthly outing, then turn around as use the Lone Bear weekend for the next month and then a Council activity (even if it's parking cars at a Business sponsored event) for another.

We may do those events but they don't count as our troops monthly outings - which then puts lots of things on our calendar, thus giving lots of opportunities to those who want to do everything and the possibility of staying active to those who's parents send them on family trips or even summer school things.

Nah, Engineer61, sounds more like excuses than anything. Up here in da north we get temps down in da double-digit negatives and oodles of snow. Doesn't stop troops from gettin' out camping. Yeh just be prepared is all, and adjust activities to the environment. Or, if your lads don't (yet) have the experience to be out, yeh rent a cabin as a shelter and then do activities outside.

All kinds of things yeh can do in da southwest. Go canyoneering. Go climbing on a north face. Go whitewater paddling. Go caving! Go mountain biking in da morning and evening, but settle in somewhere cool for a siesta and some cardgames mid-day. Go for a full-moon night hike, from moonrise to moonset. Go up higher in altitude where it's a lot cooler. Go boatin' or waterskiing on some of those big dam lakes.

As adults, we can always hold kids back because of our own worries/fears/inexperience, eh? But if we are willing to stretch with 'em in order to create fun and exciting program, it can be a great experience for both da kids and for us.

Beavah

Nah, Beavah,

I won't float with you on that...even when you're camping in snow, you can build shelter, start a fire to stay warm. (Grew up in the snow belt.)

You can't "build an air conditioner" out here, unless you happen to find a cave...not recommended...the coyotes, bears and mountain lions like them.

Eng,

Where there is a will to camping, there is a way. I will grant you that you are not a camper, you've stated here and elsewhere on the net that you are not a camper, and there is nothing wrong with that. You like AC and so do I. But when it's time to go outdoors, I do not complain. I know tricks to keep cool and use them.

I'm 50+ years old, still camp in 100+ degree 100% humidity in the south in a heavy wool uniform doing extensive activity. I have been known to drink as much as 7-10 canteens of water a day, canteen capacity of 2.5 quarts. I stay on my feet, pace myself and learned ever trick in the book on survival in hot weather. Ever wear a hat full of ice cubes? Wrap the cube in a bandanna or you're going to have a major headache. :) Those lessons I pass on to my boys.

I have also camped in sub zero winter making snow shelters and/or sleeping under the stars. I don't drink as much water, but I know how to adapt to the harsh environment of winter. The dryness of winter air takes as much moisture out of your body as the hot dry of the Southwest. Those lessons I pass on to the boys as well.

If one were looking for excuses to shut down for a period of time, I would think the harshness of winter would take precedent over the heat of summer.

I guess it just depends on what excuse is necessary to justify dropping the program for a certain period of time.

Stosh

Heat can be very dangerous, but as one who lived in the High Desert of California for several years if you take the proper precautions camping can be done ( I have done it).

Movement at night and in the dawn and evening hours.

Shade in the heat of the day - and unless you've unwisely situated yourself in the midst of a plain there is plenty to be had although a tarp can do wonders.

Water, Water, Water and there are lots of ways to find water in a desert(at least that desert) if only one will learn how. Solar stills, following flying insects, looking at the base of conjoined draws, map searches, etc.

Loose Long Sleeves, Fully Brimmed hats, Sunscreen

But it does take discipline and understanding - because one can wind up in trouble quickly. I used to time my water intake because it is so easy to get behind because in the high desert I almost never felt the sweat and would usually become aware that I had gotten behind by the rime of salt on my skin.

However one might need to be a little more directive - in the Greater Morongo Valley area I would not hesitate to line the boys up and watch them drink x amount of water every hour rather than relying on each of them to do what they thought was best for their own consumption.

"However one might need to be a little more directive - in the Greater Morongo Valley area I would not hesitate to line the boys up and watch them drink x amount of water every hour rather than relying on each of them to do what they thought was best for their own consumption."

EVERYONE drinks! not just the kids! I do Civil War reenacting and the adults need to hear it just as much as the kids. If you don't slosh when you walk, you ain't drinkin' enuff! :)

I've never had a person under my leadership go down to heat. I have had others around me from other groups go down, but none of mine. I've never had anyone get frostbite either!

Learn what to do in all circumstances and go out and have fun year 'round!

Stosh

The Troop my son just joined doesn't meet on two Mondays--the week of summer camp, and the week between Christmas and New Years.

The Pack I'm a WDL in follows the school schedule, although we start later than school does. I wish I had had the energy to turn the pack into a summer pack--this is my last summer with them.

perdidochas! You're going about this all wrong!

The week of Summer Camp is the only troop meeting all year long you have around a huge campfire! My boys love it.

The Week between Christmas and New Years is the Christmas party, pizza, presents, and the whole ball game!

If I tossed out those two meeting, I'd be tossed out as well! :)

My biggest struggle when I came into the troop was Monday night football when Green Bay was playing! I compromised with them, I said I would wrap up the meeting at half time, that way they could get in on watching the end of the game. :)

Stosh