Troop Trailer Insurance

Some questions about troop trailer insurance.

Do troops carry insurance on their trailers?

When a troop's trailer is in tow does the tow vehicle's insurance cover it in case of an accident?

Who's insurance covers it when it's parked at your meeting place between trips?

Any other suggestions/recommendations on trailer ownership?

Yes we have theft insurance

If its being towed, in most instances the towing vehicle's insurance covers it for liability, have the driver check his policy.

First never leave it at your meeting site unless you have a well lit secure area. More trailers disappear from parking lots then anyplace else. Find a secure fenced lot or park it at someones house for security. As far as insurance, your theft insurance covers that, also check with your CO to see if they will cover it for theft.

As far as ownership, a lot depends on your state rules for ownership and registration. All of our trailer, 5 of them, are owned by the troop, and registered and titled by the troop in the troops name.

Do you leave your troop equipment in the trailer?

Better make sure your insurance covers the contents and not just the trailer. Also, check if it covers depreciated or replacement cost.

Invest in a good hitch lock and park in a garage or fenced area.

Unfortunately, I know of several troops that have had trailers stolen.

Never had a Trailer.

When we trailer the Ships boats the insurance of the vehicle towing covers the boats.

Here in PA the trailer that the boats are on has to pass a yearly state inspection, I think it costs about $15.00.

The boats and the trailers are owned by the non-profit corporation that was set up for the Ship.

Part of my back yard and one shed looks like a boat yard.

Best thing would be to have a chat with the CO about ownership (Who owns what.) And what insurance is needed if any? Along with who is going to pay for it. The CO or will the funds come from the Troop.

I know this might seem silly, but most of the Troops who have Trailers never seem to carry a spare tire? Don't know why this is.

Ea

The troop owns one trailer already, a canoe trailer which is titled in the troop's name and has no insurance. The utility trailer we are going to buy will also be titled and owned by the troop. The troop also owns it's own building which has homeowners insurance on it. I'll check with our agent about a rider or other insurance for the trailers. The trailer will be parked behind our building and we are planning on locking it through the hitch and maybe the wheels.

shortridge

No, we have nothing special, they are not owned by the CO, they were paid for and owned by the troop. Thats the way it is allowed in NY according to our property laws.

This is exactly what I have said for years about the myth that the CO owns everything. The ownership rules are entirely dependant upon the laws of the state that you are located in.

Sorry, guess I should have been clearer ... what is "the troop"? I always have operated under the belief that it doesn't exist without the CO - that a troop, pack or crew is just the label for a program licensed by the local organization from BSA.

So how do the property laws in your state work? Just how DOES a troop own property without existing as a legal entity?

• 7 months later...

I'm interested in an answer to shortridge's question as well. We have a trailer that was gifted to us, but are chartered by, essentially, a website (a collection of individual members). They don't own any property either.

The trailer we had been using, a small open gardening trailer blew a tire and is currently unuseable.

Meanwhile we have this 14' enclosed trailer painted with our name on it that we can't get to...

We are in North Carolina.

You can just go ahead and see how NC would let you title it. I'm not sure how legal liability would attach to something that's not an official legal entity, but I think the lawyers could figure it out.

Typically trailers are covered by homeowners coverage when parked and by auto policies when being towed. Where are you going to park it? You could just title it in that person's name. That's what our units did.

It all depends on what you're concerned about, and how much stuff you store in the trailer. We don't store equipment in the trailer, so we're not worried about that.

Our Troop's trailer is not currently registered.

While on site, it is covered by the CO's insurance.

While being towed, in most cases it is covered by the tower's insurance (although this is not always the case. Check.)

In Kentucky, a non-commercial use trailer does not have to be registered unless taken out of state.