Interfaith services that work

The distinction JiKC is trying to make ( and succeeding very well, I might add) is that we, as Scouters should encourage the Scouts faith, whatever that may be, as defined by the Scout's family and ultimately by the Scout, but...

I like to think that a "Scout's Own" service might just include some personal worship, but ,indeed, it would be wrong to have the service (there's a word that deserves it's own discussion in this context. Who or what do we serve?) leader/facilitator imply or insist that one type of ritual or prayer is more appropriate than another. UNLESS everyone attending is of one faith tradition (Christian, Islam, Bahai',, etc.), in which case, that particular faith ritual or observance is pursued as appropriate.

What JiKC is so adamant about (correctly) is that in trying to please everyone, we please few.

It is still possible, tho, to note the glory of the Creation, the brotherhood of all Scouts, the agreement between all faiths of the observance of what is called The Golden Rule, the need to subserve oneself before the Divine, and the possibility of seeing agreement of the ideals of the Scout Promise and Law with the faiths of the world. Such "Scout's Own" can be very successful if designed carefully. Way Opens.

I note the single example of the Hindi family that joined our Troop. They professed marvel (?) at the similarity between the SP and the SL and their Holy Script (whose name escapes me). They only withdrew because their son had trouble adhering to their strict vegetarian diet with the rest of our omnivarous Scouts (who did try , but ultimately could'nt totally reconcile the camp menus).

The Responsive readings are out there (OT/NT/Q'ran/Bagavt'gita/etc. to the SPromise and SLaw) for consideration. The prayers from every tradition are there (wonderful google).

Try www.tolerance .org

Allowance does not equate Agreement, only Acceptance.