Certainly, from the photo, they might not meet the recently posted standards. On the other hand, we do not know for sure. The actual standard is pretty broad, and appearances can deceive. If it is all in their midsection, they may very well fit somewhere in the acceptable parameter. Still, as noted, appearances too are important.

Reality is that a huge percentage of our country is in the same boat. Push comes to shove, it is each of our responsibilities to do what we can to help correct it. Some will, but others won't. And the limits only appear to apply to high adventure and overly strenuous activities anyway.

Maybe I am misunderstanding that part; but am pretty sure that is the most recent clarification. So, obese, or very overweight leader can still go to drive-in camps such as regular summer camp; and, on a case by case basis, they can also participate in many other challenging activities, with a doctor's approval. They will not be allowed to do a trek or hike the Tooth at Philmont; they won't be allowed to do the canoe base or sea base.

Just my take.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too noticed the conflict between the photo and the article. Perhaps he will take the opportunity to drop a few lbs now that the obesity issue is front/center.

Mr. Mazzuca has a couple of challenges. One, a person with his job has to attend a bunch of luncheons and banquets each week. We all know that few of these are "healthy heart" events. Two, traveling and sitting in meetings are absolute fitness killers.

On a local level, truthfully, we have alot of obese scouters. Some can still backpack and get outdoors, but it isn't easy for them. Others are sedentary and fine with it. No need to restate all the problems with this, but here's a personal observation: sedentary scouters tend to promote tailgate camping and other events that aren't physically challenging. This results in lackluster events that boys get bored with quickly. Find a troop with fit leaders, and you'll find a physically active troop.

PS I typed the last para with humbleness...as a guy in his late 40s still on active duty, I know how hard I have to push myself to stay physically fit and to present a good image in uniform. It's ain't easy for anyone.

About 5 years ago, I notice at a round table meeting there seems to be two profiles for Scouters. The "D"s and the "I"s. I have been fighting hard to be an "I". Sometimes it is harder than others. I have never been a full fledged "D".

It is a tough battle for Scouters but we certainly need to be the example.

I agree the National Key 3 should be put together a plan where they don't need to pull their rank to get into the National Jamboree.

BP and Green Bar Bill are great examples.

It may hurt to hear it from a fellow tubby guy, but its kind of true, we tell the kids they have to be physically fit while we sit in our camp chairs and suck down coffee. Back when I was a Scout, even though my scoutmaster was a big guy he ALWAYS went on the backpacking trips with us. Granted as I have gotten older, my waistline has expanded more then I care to admit, I am doing my best to drop the weight, in fact I am heading out for a bike ride now :) Adios!

A few years back the UK Scouting Magazine, which tends to be maybe not as serious as the USA Scouting Magazine and is for both youth and adults, asked the youth to describe their Scout Leaders.

Many of the Scouts described their Scout Leader (SM) As "A fat cuddly chap with a beard".

I don't remember any of the adults as being either fat or cuddly! I do remember that a good many of them were pipe smokers, cigarette smoking was looked down upon. I'm not sure why? But it seemed then that smoking a pipe was acceptable.

I'm a very skinny little fellow (142 pounds or just over ten stone!) I hate looking at group pictures where everyone is in shorts! Other than my sexy knees! It looks like I have a couple of tooth-picks where my legs ought to be.

For this reason I avoid wearing shorts as much as possible.

Have to admit that when I looked at the photo of Mr. Mazzuca I was glad that we weren't out and I wasn't buying the adult beverages! Kinda looks like he has room for a few!

Of course if he was buying? Things might be different!

Ea.

Another thought on the overweight leader phenomenon: it is my opinion that the men and women who are most likely to be Scout leaders have the following attributes:

-Strong home life, where families are served home-cooked meals on a regular basis

-they come from cultures where gatherings of friends and families involve serving meals

-they tend to put service to others ahead of personal goals like individual fitness

-they tend to live in suburban and rural neighborhoods where walking is not the primary transport mode - the auto is.

At the same time, those thin people tend to come from a demographic that involves:

-a culture of "me-first" -so they work out for their own self image

-an urban environment that does not involve car commuting

-an upper income bracket that pays for personal trainers, image consultants and the like.

In short, rich, thin folks tend to be less likely to volunteer to be Scout leaders, and are more likely to spend more time helping themselves versus others. Note these are not hard and fast rules, just observations.

Codger, very interesting observations! However, I must present myself as an exception. I fit your scout leader criteria to a "t"...but I still attempt to stay in shape. Not with personal trainers and expensive membership at a fitness center. Rather, I run four miles on a public track three/four times a week and knock out my push ups and sit ups on a stretch of asphalt nearby. Refreshment is not a sports drink but cool water from a big red spigot near a ball park.

Am I doing it for me? Well perhaps a little. I don't want to die from something I could have prevented. I don't want to look like a slob in my military (or scout) uniform. Most importantly, I'm doing it for my family...first it's a condition of employment for folks in the military and I don't want to become unemployed, and second, I've seen too many out of shape military folks retire and die a year or two after they go back to civilian life.

Sure you might miss a few dinners, or have to settle for one plate at dinner instead of two...but it's worth it.

Oh that's just precious!

Fat people wanting to help others more than thin people. The only thing fat people want to help themselves to more than skinny people is an extra doughnut!

On my honor, I will do my best

To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;

To help other people at all times;

To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

We bar membership on several of those points, but not all of them.

So I have read the article and is finding myself bewildered. I will say that it dissapoints me that we have to restrict scouts who don't fit the quota. I looked at my recomended weight and I found myself close to being "over weight" by Mr.Mazzuca's standards. I have compared myself before in school and I have BIGGER calves than the track stars. I'm in more afterschool activites than most normal kids. I play on the varsity tennis team. I practice for the spring play from 7-10 on most nights, sometimes later. I have only 2 hours a day to keep up with my honors and ap classes. I do scouting in my free time. Is this how I am rewarded for my hard work? Not being able to participate? I do so many activites that one would think that I can't possibly make it to scouting but I can. My question is why turn off so many kids that would gladly join/participate in scouts? Oh by the way, even if we burnt all our fat to muscle we would end up being hevier because muscle is denser than fat.

It doesn't quite work that way. You can burn the fat without increasing muscle mass much.

I lost nearly 50 lbs from cutting out calorie-filled beverages, cutting back a bit on my food portions, and walking around the block a few times a week. Even though I've gotten a bit lazy with the exercise, the improved eating habits have kept almost all of it off. It's amazing how many calories you can cut out of your diet by not drinking sugar-filled beverages (and that includes juices; my doctor says "don't drink your fruit").

Unless someone's dicovered a previously unknown caloric content to water, it's no secret that to gain weight, one must eat more than they need to maintain weight. It just doesn't get added on any other way than to eat more than needed.

So perhaps gluttony should be included on membership prohibitions. However, I'm willing to let morbidly obese blobs spill over into my airline seat or make everyone have to take the next grocery aisle in order to get around them - heck they could even head out to the surf in thongs for all I care...if BSA would just prohibit smokers. Period. Anyone worried about medical health should focus on tobacco first. Not even a little bit of tobacco (as opposed to food) is healthy.

You can demonize fatsos all you want but their fat doesn't waft through the air that I have to breathe. For some reason, the same character traits that make smokers weak enough to get (and then stay) addicted seem to make them think that standing and smoking right at the building entrance is OK. Even in front of the 'No Smoking' signs. They seem to think it's OK when little children, knowing no better and while no one is looking, amuses themselves by picking up collections of their cancerous butts - perhaps putting them in their mouths, butts that are scattered all around those entrances or dumped unceremoniously in little piles out in the parking lot. Smokers not only don't care about themselves, they don't care about anyone else either. Rant over. Back to adipose tissue.

Saw a poster in my son's doctor's office.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but they broke it down to if you have one soda per day, the caloric increase in your diet equals adding 10 lbs of fat per year to your frame.

So all else being static, if you stop drinking one can per day, you would lose 10 lbs per year. Now what is most common to overweight people in their diets? The ubiquitous soda in their hand.