"Liberty Tree" Memorials - Elm Research Institute

My local council recently included this item in its e-mail newsletter. Does anyone have experience with this group or its work?

Doesn't sound like an Eagle project to me (with a how-to "packet" provided by the group), but what do I know?

HIGH VISIBILITY LEADERSHIP PROJECT FOR BA 100th ANNIVERSARY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honor The Birth Of Freedom and Celebrate the Boy Scouts 100th Anniversary...

With A Liberty Tree Memorial In Your Town

A Liberty Tree Memorial is the perfect way to honor and continue the heritage of the Birth of Freedom in our country. Your towns Memorial can become a place of celebration, a focus of community pride and engender a sense of common heritage and respect for Liberty and Freedom. Honor and continue the tradition of the Sons of Liberty in your own town with a Liberty Tree Memorial.

The sponsorship of a Liberty Tree Memorial is an ideal Eagle Project project for the Boy Scouts who are celebrating the 100th Anniversary of their founding.

Community-based funding and eager participation of a diverse group of citizens assures a successful Liberty Tree Memorial which everybody can rally around.

HOW TO ORGANIZE A MEMORIAL IN YOUR TOWN

Elm Research Institute will obtain a letter of agreement from the town wishing to establish a Liberty Tree Memorial.

Upon receipt of the agreement from the town, ERI will ask a local Boy Scout troop to sponsor the Liberty Tree Memorial

ERI will send a complete Memorial packet - which includes fund raising ideas, sample press releases, how to organize the ceremony, Liberty Elm planting instructions, etc.

After fund raising is complete, Scout troop will send a check payable to ERI to insure timely shipment of all Liberty Tree Memorial items.

During the Planting Day Ceremony a local dignitary, such as the mayor, will host the event, dedicate the tree and Liberty Tree Memorial plaque and read aloud Thomas Paines poem, Liberty Tree.

Most important, he will also dedicate the Donors Plaque commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the founding of the Boy Scouts and identifying the troop as Sponsor and thanking them for establishing the new landmark in their town. Call Today ! Elm Research Institute 1-800-367-3567 for a FREE full-color brochure or visit www.elmresearch.org for more details

$1500.00 is the cost. I really had to dig for the price, they don't seem to be very up front about the cost. You have to click the "Get your Society Membership Here" link. Also there are several pictures of Scouts in their advertising material.

That is wrong on several levels. I seriously doubt that they have BSA's permission to use the the Scouts pictures in commercial advertising. I would have a real problem with this as an Eagle project.

Pay $1500, plant a tree, mount a plaque; where is the leadership their? I suppose that a scout could use it as one element of a larger project but the cost is over the top.

Hal

Planting a tree as a remembrance or memorial is an excellent thing. I've seen and participated in such several times, most recently in memory of one of our Troop's adult leaders.

I too think $1500 is a mite rich for a stripling tree. The plum we planted was about $85 , 3 years old. We added a small plaque in concrete block and a teak and wought iron bench for another $250. All installation was volunteer.

This was not a Scout project, purse, but involved many folks who had known the Scout leader, and our Meeting.

I guess the ERI is trying to promote a fund raising for themselves and suggest a Scout project.

Obviously, if it becomes a 100th BSA Anniversary thing, it cannot be an "Eagle" project.

Planting such a tree could be part of another, larger memorial. But I would buy the tree outright and forgo the broohaha brochures. Plan your own, as appropriate.

Permission to use Scouts in advertising.

When my council got word from National over Joe Corbi's pizza doing the same thing they made all units stop selling their products sigting copy right infringements. Seems like the same thing here.