If my math is right that is a 16.5% decline in youth membership in 10 years.

Can't find GWB's name in the 2000 or 2001 Annual reports. Has anyone had a scout earn Eagle in the last couple of months? Was President Obama's signature on it?

I thought there might be some mention of the new Honorary President, maybe in the photo caption of the White House visit.

I found this on the Boy's Life website, maybe I missed an official announcement

http://boyslife.org/home/380/who-we-are/

HONORARY PRESIDENT, BSA

THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

Barack Obama

Scouting magazine still lists President Bush

http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/about/masthead.html

The President of the United States,

George W. Bush,

Honorary President, BSA

I had hoped membership would stop declining and maybe looking at the numbers, a case can be made that total Boy Scout + Venture scouts remained constant.(This message has been edited by RememberSchiff)

Maybe this is a more accurate reflection of our true membership numbers? I know that a membership verification procedure is now in place to prevent some of the inflation that happened in the past. Don't know when that procedure went into place, but I bet it takes 2-3 years before we solve the problem.

As for being 16.5% down from 10 years ago, if my district was the norm, 1/3 of the members existed on paper only! So maybe, just maybe we are still growing, but the figures are competing to themade up ones from back then?

Like the man said, there are three kinds of lies: Lies, d*mned lies and statistics.

Glad that Boys' Life put to rest the questions about whether President Obama is the BSA Honorary President. Too bad Scouter hasn't gotten the memo.

Speaking of Boy's Life, I wonder what their individual subscription numbers are? That would be interesting to look at since the 'scouts" on paper for some reason decided not to subscribe to Boy's Life. Grant you it wouldn't be 100% accurate since I know some families will only get one copy instead of each individual subscription, but I would still like to see the numbers.

• 5 months later...