Hello all -- as background, I'm membership chair for a troop. Last year, my son was the only Webelos from town (out of 20 or so total Webelos) to join this particular troop, so I figured that the troop needed help with recruiting. Things went well this year -- I wrote a membership plan, the troop committee supported it, and we've slowly been implementing changes. Crossover season is now well under way, and we've done pretty well.

Three crossed from a pack over this last Sunday, one of which was my younger son. Another pack, our "feeder pack", has 3 Webelos moving on this year, and we're likely to have at least two out of three cross over. The third is uncommitted at this point, but their den leader brought all of them to a troop meeting the night before last. The uncommitted one knows my younger son from school, and my son (unasked by me) sought him out and talked with him at the meeting. So far, so good.

Here's the uncharted territory for me: while I was talking with the den leader, he mentioned that all three of them have run out of things to do. They've finished Arrow of Light and all activity badges (he now has them looking ahead and learning material from Tenderfoot, and that's fine too). But their pack's B&G Banquet is treated as an "end of year" awards banquet, and their Arrow of Light and Crossover ceremony is being held until then. They have it scheduled for the first Saturday in June!

But I was stumped at that point. I told him that by all means, start bringing them to troop meetings and we'll figure out a way to bring them on outings. I was trying to articulate that maybe he should have them awarded Arrow of Light sooner, and we'd do the crossover sooner, but then that kind of works against the awards banquet idea. I don't want to cheat them out of a special time, especially as a last hurrah with their pack.

(I've worked at developing the relationship with their pack, the "feeder pack", this year, and now that I know their leadership pretty well, I can make suggestions for next year -- I think the present CM/CC would respond to suggestions that would serve the interests of scouts better...next year is looking good already, because they have some 21 or 22 first-year Webelos right now)

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions on how to handle these late crossovers?

Thanks,

Guy

Yah, GKlose, I think packs are pretty diverse on this in the northern states. The January/February crossover time seems to work for the Texans. Gets lads out on their first campouts with the troop in the cooler weather of March. Up here in the northern plains, crossin' over later in da school year achieves the same purpose - makin' their first troop campouts happen in forgiving and pleasant weather.

I think yeh just roll with it. Invite 'em on troop trips as guests / recruits, but pretty much treat 'em the same.

A smart pack will have 'em share what they're learning on your troop outings with the webelos 1 boys. That's somethin' yeh might want to encourage!

Beavah

My big question: What are their plans / your troop's plans with regard to summer camp? June would be too late in my neck of the woods to get Scouts signed up. And it would be a pretty lousy first year as Boy Scouts if everyone else got to go but the "new guys" were left behind.

You could cross him now. A scout does not need the arrow of light or the permission of the Cubmaster to join a troop. Besides he has already earned his Arrow of Light it is only the ceremony and the award that he is awaiting. He can attend his AoL ceremony as a Boy Scout. If the Cubmaster protests warn him that a scout could loose interest just waiting in limbo between advancements.

After a couple of slim years (my twn has 3 packs for 5 troops) we had a group of 7 W'2 who committed 5 weeks before there crossover and just started showing up every Tuesday after a bit of panic on the spl sincehe had to change plans quickly he just started teaching them troop camping skills tent setup/care stove setup clean up even some cooking lessons the w2's had fun learned a bit and now that all of the w2's in town are crossed over they are on to a great start. just have the spl make it fun for them and they still get there spcial day in the pack (half the troop left out campout to attend their crossover and then returned) seems they are fond of the new scouts.

YIS

tony

I would get the parents of the "Webelos II's" Summer Camp info now, since come June 1, they won't BE Webelos II's.

Between now and then, I would work with the Webelos II Den leader (& CM) to get the Scouts to come on a couple outings and maybe the Troop meeting. But make it clear, you cannot treat them as "Scouts", because the are still Cub Scouts.

This means they won't be able to "compete or participate in the same activities Scouts ordinarily do on outings/meetings".

Beavaher is right, have the scouts start attending the Troop as if they belong in the Troop. We did this a lot and it is no big deal. Do not have them fill out a troop application because if it some how gets turned in, the scout will not get his AOL. In fact I would kindly ask the pack turn in all the scouts paperwork as soon as possible to prevent any confusion. Typically they wait until the Ceremony, but you might offer to help. If you can tell, I've had to help clean up a lot messes in this area.

Barry

Start them now, and have them register now. We just had Camporee, and one Patrol had several boys who will not "cross over" until next week. We made them a part of the troop early, rather than waiting for the Pack's ceremony. Perhaps one of the folks here who know the P&Qs can answer whether or not a boy can be dual registered in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts?

For Summer Camp, we sent out registration materials to all of the Packs that expressed interest, beginning last December. We knew that one group of Webelos had made their decision to join our Troop when our online Summer Camp registration form showed the names of 3 boys who were not yet members of our Troop! You can never get the Summer Camp information out too early, IMHO. A well organized Summer Camp sign-up can also be a good part of your recruitment efforts.

If Mr Cubmaster balks at moving the kids along, I'd have your COR have a friendly cup of coffee with their COR and ask this simple question: "Why won't you AOL these kids and get them to the age-appropriate program before we lose them from Scouting for lack of interest?"

I'd also have your UC talk to their UC, and have the UC have a friendly cup of coffee with the CM.

Thanks everybody -- I really appreciate the input.

Just last night, the CC sent out an email reminder about summer camp (early-bird sign-ups are due in a couple of days) and he asked me to forward the email to the "feeder pack" den leader. Within a half hour, the den leader had responded with the note that two out of the three were definitely interested. We're not sure if the third guy will crossover to our troop or not, but I would think it is likely, given that the entire rest of his den is.

Maybe many councils do this, but ours seems to have extra consideration for Webelos who are crossing over. While our summer camp early-bird roster is due in a couple of days, any Webelos added on at a later date can still get early-bird pricing. The council knows that not every Webelos is ready to commit this early. So why penalize them with full-price summer camp? As long as we don't overflow the campsite we've booked, I don't think there's a problem.

I may just talk to the den leader and the CM/CC...since they've finished AoL and all activity badges, it would be best to get them their Scout badges, and start work on Tenderfoot right away.

By the way, one reason we were fairly successful with crossovers this year is because of a program we offered for the town's second year Webelos last fall. I called it "Outdoorsman Overnight" -- it was an overnight, with the troop, where they pretty much went through everything they needed for the Outdoorsman Activity Badge. Every Webelos that came with us on that overnight chose us as their new troop.

It was awkward offering that last fall, with school starting up, fall sports and the Webelos Arrow of Light Weekend (at the local summer camp) all conflicting. So, we're repeating it this spring -- we have a good pile of 1st year Webelos in the feeder pack, so this next year's recruiting should be fairly successful too.

Thanks again, everyone --

Guy

You might also work with the unit commissioner to help with this, since the UC usually has the troop and it's "feeder pack" under their observation together. UC is supposed to help with transition.

I have a slow transitional pack with 6 W-II's in my area that meets with the troop guides twice a month to prepare for summer camp/scout badge/camping skills till crossover. Not perfect, but it works.

• 2 weeks later...

I need some help, and I can see that Ive stumbled upon the right site!

I am the father of a wonderful 10-year-old. Hes popular at school, makes good grades, plays an instrument fairly well, and is a 2-sport All-Star in our town. Hes never given me, or his mom, a moment of grief in our almost 11 years together. We have a wonderful relationship, and he really is not in need of any outside influence to make him a good man; he will be a fine citizen.

Hes been a scout since Tigers, and although weve moved across the country he persevered and earned his arrow of light last month. Out of respect for his Webelos leader we let her pick his new troop. All three boys he crossed over with are now in the same troop. We visited 3 troops:

1) Ignored our boys, and their parents.

2) Never called us back

3) Took our kids camping, and treated them pretty well

Not great choices. She picked troop 3. We have not filled out the papers, and the SM is sort of pressuring me, but Im not easy to persuade, and I feel that Im holding a high card.

This is a camping troop, and my kid is really not an outdoor type. He wants to be an Eagle Scout, and earn merit badges. But his plate is full. Were not going to have weekends to camp. I understand that some camping is required, but he will certainly do the minimum. Hell do service though, and work like crazy. Hes declined to go to summer camp as it interferes with his highly-select baseball team.

I was a cub scout, but never a boy scout, and this seems like a good stopping point to me..

But he loves scouts, and wants to stay. We need an Adult led advancement-oriented troop. You guys write derisively about such outfits, but thats exactly what we need How do I find them? Were thinking about applying for lone scout status. What do you guys think?

Also, hes never really had a buddy in scouts. He has known some of the guys in his old den, in our old city, for many years but was never close to any of them. Hes on good terms with his fellow webelos/ boy scouts he crossed over with, but never sees any of them outside of scouts.

Sadly, the new SM split the 4 webelos into their 2 preexisting patrols, and the one kid my son liked the best is not with him anymore.

Lastly, hes an introvert, and he went out on a limb and recruited a boy into wolves. This boy, many states away, is now a boy scout. My kid wants to continue to wear his well-earned recruiter badge, and were getting some guff about that too. (Hes not taking that off his uniform!)

Thanks for your time. I appreciate your insight. That lone scout idea is now the one Im most considering. Or, maybe this has run its course for us.

Thanks for your help.

Hello Daddy-O,

I tried to spin off a separate thread but the system won't let me.

You say that your son "loves Scouts" but doesn't enjoy the outdoors. You are asking how to find an adult led, advancement Troop.

Before trying to give you an appropriately respectful answer, may I ask what it is that you son loves? Maybe we can help you find it.