If I recall, the old site was somewhat unclear about how "official" it was; it is good to see they have replaced it with a site that is clearly official.

I did notice a somewhat odd wording on the front page: "Enjoys participating with his or her Scout and inspires their child to persevere in Scouting with their tenure, activity participation and achievement" Persevere? As in, struggle through a difficult experience? I am not sure that is exactly the word they were looking for there. (Yes, I remember the old slogan, "Follow the Rugged Road", but I don't think that would work too well today.) I think I understand what they were getting at; the word "continue" would probably be the most accurate, but they might have thought that would have a slightly negative connotation, suggesting that not enough boys continue in Scouting now. (Which is true, but I don't think National wants to say so on its web site.) But the connotations of "persevere" are even more negative. Maybe they should have just picked a neutral word like "participate" and left it at that... but they already have the word "participating" in the sentence. "Enjoy", maybe? Oops, that's already there too. I can sympathize with the problem, as I have sometimes been stuck for the correct word in my writing, but there must be some way to improve on "persevere." The word conjures up the image of two ten-year olds trying to carry a canoe, and there's three miles to go, uphill (both ways)...

• 2 weeks later...

GERALD LAWHORN (1946-2008) was the inspired founder of "ScoutParents," of course. I understand some sort of provision or intent was announced by the Lawhorn Family and reported in mid-2008 to transfer ScoutParents materials and www.scoutparents.org resources (content) to BSA National for "$1."

As of now, BSA National Council appears to be offering the ScoutParents material as simply another Scouting "resource." ScoutParents material and web content, minus the forum, appear to be pretty much as they were left when Scouter Lawhorn had last been able to work on them personally before he had "Gone Home."

(This message has been edited by Pete T. Northmoss)