GW,

Your comment made my night :)

Seriously use tomahawks and not axes. 'hawks have better balance and are designed for throwing.

My old OA lodge had a tomahawk toss for a council encampment. We used some very large tree segments on tripods as targets. And yes we ran it like a shooting sports area with three lanes for throwing, nothing occurring behind the area and a "coach" with every thrower. Only problem we had was the lines as EVERYONE wanted to do it. Heck I was even dressed in regalia running the event. needless to say it was the 2nd most popular event, after the Civil War reenactors.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GW,

Seriously use tomahawks and not axes. 'hawks have better balance and are designed for throwing.

My old OA lodge had a tomahawk toss for a council encampment. We used some very large tree segments on tripods as targets. And yes we ran it like a shooting sports area with three lanes for throwing, nothing occurring behind the area and a "coach" with every thrower. Only problem we had was the lines as EVERYONE wanted to do it. Heck I was even dressed in regalia running the event. needless to say it was the 2nd most popular event, after the Civil War reenactors.

GW,

scotteng wrote: "You need a location, a shooting sports director(who can have all the other venues open too) and a rendezvous qualified range master."

I'm fairly certain NCS doesn't include throwing of either knives or axes in its curriculum for shooting sports directors, unless that's a new component.

"Hmmmm . .. hadn't thought of that. I'd always been told to never dry fire a bow. "

The danger of a dry-fired bow is exactly why we are taught not to do that. It'd be nice if they explain why rather than just say "don't do it". Otherwise, someone might be tempted to find out why on their own.

You should also add avoiding wooded areas to the list. We don't want to risk getting splinters. You never know what medical complications could occur.

"The danger of a dry-fired bow is exactly why we are taught not to do that."

Is that the string burn or the danger of breaking the limbs which is what I was told many, many, many . . . many years ago. Never tried it so I don't know what will happen.

I'm sure damaging the limbs is a possibility, depending on the bow construction. All that energy has to be released somewhere. The limbs could break, the bow could jump out of your hand. I was mainly referring to the low-power bows used at camps.

Back to the original topic, we had hatchet or tomahawk throwing (I can't remember which) when I attended the 1989 NSJ as part of the pioneering area, along with cracking bull whips, where I managed to knock the safety goggles off my own face (how's that for safety).

"Knives, axes, guns, arrows (bows without arrows are okay), rope and fire should all be banned as potentially hazardous. Swimming also since you can drown or pick up a disease from the water. Hiking should go away as well because you can get sunburned."

can we add sarcasm to the "banned" list?

swimming with concrete shoes is just as an important skill to learn as tomahawk throwing, maybe that should be a side by side event.

No, don't take away sarcasm!

The aformentioned sarcasm was well said. In our nearly 40 year journey into kinder and gentler Scouting, many of the fun activites which kept more than a few of us interested in Scouting as boys have gone by the wayside. Life comes with risks. But in a controlled environment, tomahawk throwing (it's OK with me if you call it axe throwing) and knife throwing can be great fun.

My twelve year old son has been throwing since he was eight. He learned it as part of his martial arts training. He also has a closet full of razor sharp samurai swords. He has never hurt anyone and won't even take them out unless properly supervised. Someone took the time to proerly teach him.

When we go camping, my son is around knives and axes constantly. At first I was interested in how he would differentiate between his Scout tools and his martial arts tools. Well, there is absolutely no problem. He sees them as totally different, each having it's own purpose, time, and place.

Axe throwing is great fun. He and I did it together at Philmont this summer, and at a Council Camporee last Spring. But neither one of us would ever consider throwing our Scout tools. That would not be safe, right, or prudent.

By dumbing down Scouts as we have since the 1970's we have done a great dis-service to our boys. They easily learn right from wrong and will use good judgment if we just teach them and then set the expectations.

BulldogBlitz writes:

"swimming with concrete shoes is just as an important skill to learn as tomahawk throwing, maybe that should be a side by side event."

"Important skill"?

Scouting is a GAME!

A game for red-blooded American boys who (despite the claims of modernists) are excited by exactly the same things that excited their great-grandfathers: the untamed wild, fire, knives, guns, archery, outdoor cooking, and learning how to be a hero.

Few of the things that attract boys to Scouting were "important skills" in 1908, just as swinging clubs and throwing balls in other boys' games are not "important skills" in today's world either.

Tomahawk throwing was taught by the BSA's founders long before the BSA was incorporated; before indoor classroom Merit Badges were introduced; before "one minute manger" skills replaced Scoutcraft skills as the basis of Patrol leadership; and before the fake Baden-Powell quote "Scouting is a Game with a Purpose" was invented to justify the continued dumbing down of Scouting since 1972.

Kudu

PLEASE make the distinction :::

Label and call it the "Tomahawk" throw, NOT axe or hatchet.

Make sure folks know it ain't an "axe yard".

Ditto all the guidance above. We have had Tomahawk throw range at camporees many times. But be careful where you site it, both for overthrows and side areas. You will have folks that will want to watch, and they must be kept at a distance, both for their own safety and for their distractive quality. AND... don't make the mistake that happened one year: The targets were sited up against a hillside, which seemed like a good idea (back stop, etc.) but the hillside was covered in blackberry brambles. A heckuva time recovering the overshots!

We were given one piece, all-metal tomahawks by council for the purpose, really needed sharpening, but they threw well.

An "Ax yard" is also a good demo. Totin chip demos, felling ax chop thru a log for time, mebbe a two man saw competition. Needs Good supervision, but good time to be had.

(This message has been edited by SSScout)