>>Personally, I look forward to that week away from the world. A week to get away from ringing cell phones, clacking keyboards, and the glare of computer screens and watch the glare of the sun coming up. I look forward to a week of listening to bird songs in the morning and sounds of boys having a good time during the day, the lapping of water in the creeks, streams and lakes, and the ever-present tree frogs at night.

I'll admit that I am an addict when it comes to check my email. If I'm on a computer, I'll check it multiple times during the day. However, if I don't have access, then I'm fine without it (like this past weekend when I went camping with the troop).

I have mixed feelings on the subject of having WiFi access at summer camp for the adult leaders. I greatly enjoyed summer camp last year, as it allowed me to completely get away from the world for six days. However, my job sometimes entails very quick communication to close a deal. As I am paid mainly on commission, missing a deal could cost me a lot of money. Fortunately, my troop is going to camp the week after July 4, so it should be a very slow week.

Overall, I feel we should be able to get away for a week and not have to worry about work or anything else outside of whether or not little Johnny is making it to his Basketry Merit Badge Class. Escaping like that is incredibly theraputic, no matter how good your life is outside of Scouting.

No one ever said that a week away from work wasn't nice...it's just not always possible.

I would rather the scouts get to go to camp and the leader spends some time each day at work without leaving camp, then for the scouts to have to miss camp because the leader cannot be away from work that week. It would seem to be a win/win situation.

Leaders who did not like the idea of leaders from other units needing to do some work while at camp could always choose to not be concerned about something that did not effect them or other scouts.

I think it best to respect every adult's penchant for technology, I can understand those who want to leave it behond, but others may not have that luxury and if it's a choice of a troop not going to camp due to adult leadership issues,WiFi is great.

I agree, OGE, that if a leader has to do some work while at camp & that's the only way the Scouts can get to go to camp, then WiFi is OK. The problem I have is the leaders who bring their laptops just to have them there! And let's not forget the camp staff who will probably be spending their time in their tents on myspace & other similar sites.

I don't know if it's a good idea to have available WiFi at summer camps. I've gone weeks without checking my e-mail or getting on line. And honestly, I feel refreshed. And I can give the Scouts in my charge my 100% attention.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Not forget that not everyone who goes up to a summer camp is there for the great outdoors.... You have parents who go simply because another driver was needed, staffers who are there for weeks at a time, etc... All of whom may need to stay a little more connected.

One upside that hasn't been mentioned is the ability to bring in rental income from non-Scouting groups. Wi-fi usually pays for itself pretty quickly.

Put in wi-fi, and I know I'd consider using our council camp for corporate retreats...

I will also admit that I'm usually lugging around a laptop on non-backpacking outings, but it's not for the entertainment value.

Besides having immediate access to Troopmaster, I also keep a copy of the latest G2SS PDF's, contact information for all the Scouts and adults, scanned in medical forms & releases, worksheets from USScouts for most merit badges, and other reference material which would otherwise be too cumbersome to bring to an outing.