Actually, GW, I'm only one in a long line of women who have held that opinion - my mother among them. I will agree that I seem to be in the minority, but I'm not the only one. Maybe just the only one you know (grin). Come to think of it, probably not - the majority of the dedicated female scouters I know seem to disdain sexist claptrap of any variety. Maybe it comes with the territory.

Vicki

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GW, you have the right to continue believing that the natural endpoint of evolution is sexism. Hmmm, I am human, I have evolved, therefore I am sexist. Not following that syllogism.

sexist: discriminatory on the basis of sex

Vicki

I am proud to come from a long line of sexists. I have always resisted and will continue to resist, despite any social, political or legal pressure to snog with men or any post snogging activities. I will restrict my snogging to women, particularly attractive women but unfortunately, as I age, the number of women willing to snog with me is diminishing.

For the record, saying "it's a chick thing" isn't sexism, it is simply remarking on the differences between the sexes. In case you haven't noticed, evolution has put us together. It's what makes life interesting.

Gold Winger, have you ever considdered that when people say "It's a chick thing" its not pointing out that there are differences between men and women (as the French say, Vive la differance), its the use of the slang term "chick" to describe humans of the female persuassion that is the crux of the matter.

Now, having said that, I know quite a few females who have no problem referring to themselves and others as "the guys". And when a women says something akin to "isn't that just like a man", thereby labeling all men in the same breath, something a feminist would convulse at if all women were labeled in the same way. So, we are the same and we are different, would we want it anyother way?

I'm as guilty of poking fun using stuff like that as anyone and I never mean it to be hurtful, I'm sure Gold Winger doesn't either. That said, I also understand Vicki's take on this. My circle of friends is extremely varied. I know and enjoy the company of persons who are very sensitive about these things. They sometimes have to forgive me but they do know I mean no harm. I also have women friends (to connect this to Gold Winger) who are bikers and who refer to themselves as the biker chicks. They have embroidered jackets with images of baby chicks wearing helmets and leather jackets. We all think it is hilarious.

But Vicki also erred in dismissing my (and GW's) quips as 'claptrap'. The label sort of cut off any likelihood of productive discussion. I did see the humor though.;) Assuming it was intended to be humorous.

I can't speak for GW, but I would gladly engage in a discussion of this topic in a meaningful way. But probably some other time, I'm about to take an extended absence and time is short.

Edited part: P.S. I'm married to one of the ultra-sensitive ones, go figure. What the heck was she thinking?(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Pack - enjoy your trip.

I, too, need to run - however, I'll point out that I already said there's no double standard. What applies to me applies to you in terms of the statements I allow myself to make.

Yes, claptrap was said wryly.

Vicki

Before I go - GW, what does snogging with men have to do with the topic at hand? I made no reference to homosexuality, nor did I equate homosexuality with sexism. Two completely different topics.

Vicki