What BSA Rules get in the way of a Good Program/Image?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think the rules keeps anyone from running a good program. BUT the one rule I really do not like is , scouts cannot climb higher than 6' off of the ground without someone having special training, sorry I do not remember what the training is called. I have watched scouts build some really nice pionering projects and than be told that they cannot climb above a certain point on it.

Not allowing me to take my MP5 to Philmont. It would have been good for bears.

Seriously, I don't know if any of the rules really interfere with running a good program. That's like saying that you can't cook a good meal if you only have Safeway for groceries and not Whole Foods.

There are many rules that don't always make sense but I think that we just need to work around them.

What national policy says taht Webelos are not allowed to participate against other Webelos at a Boy Scout camporee?

Maybe my district has run amok but that is how we include Webelos in camporees. Games and activities are specifically arranged for Webelos dens to participate in.

"I have seen lots of things get in the way of good scouting...but never an actual rule policy or procedure of the BSA."

Since your definition of good scouting and a good program are following BSA rules without question, that could be your only answer.

I think FScouter has a point. As one who works in the regulatory arena I see countless examples of misinterpretation or misapplication of an otherwise well intentioned rule. I tend to think there are more issues associated with good folks misapplying the rules than the rules themselves.

If the only thing we can come up with is Laser Tag, contact sports,(that are certainly available outside scouting) there doesn't seem like there's much that really prevents a high quality program.

There are tweaks to be sure. Like EagleDad there are things I miss. Signal Towers and Bridges come to mind. While I think the uniform "method" is great and fully support it, the current version of the uniform is hopelessly outdated and certainly not indicative of an organization that's supposed to be about outdoor activities. The term "parlour scout" is fully appropriate for the current wide lapel, polyester uniform. Finally, someone seems to have taken notice and the swichback pants are here and it sounds like more changes are coming.

SA

My definition of good scouting is a good program.

But, my definition of good citizenship is following the laws of my community, in whatever community I am member of.

And, my definition of good leadership is being able to get the job done and stay within the rules.