merit badge counselor registration question

I am looking for chapter and verse on something. We have a difference of opinion in our troop on whether or not MBCs *must* be registered as members of a troop (any troop - not necessarily ours) in order to be registered MBCs for the council. I maintain that this is not necessary; that they may be registered simply as at-large MBCs with the council if they are not active with a troop. One of our ASMs maintains that all MBCs must be registered with a troop as either committee members or ASMs/SMs. Our district advancement chair didn't seem to have understood the question and gave an ambiguous answer.

I've seen the documentation indicating that MBCs have to fill out an adult registration form, but it doesn't seem to clarify whether that means one is required to be a troop member. I know we have document hounds here who know the official literature better than I do. A little help?

Lisabob,

I'll admit I'm not one of the better document hounds here but the MBC Guide from the official website is http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=ba

I skimmed through the page and could find nothing regarding required membership in a unit. My understanding is the same as yours. I don't believe there is a requirement to be registered with a unit.

SA

Merit Badge Counselor is not a Troop-level position. It is a Council-level, non-Leadership position (some may state it is a District-leve position, but thought a District may coordinate an MBC list for the District, the approval comes from Council). It is not a Troop Committee or Troop Leadership position.

I think the confusion stems from the recruitment process for MBC's. Most MBC's are recruited from Troops, and the BSA allows MBC's the option of only serving the unit that recruited them. But anyone can be a Merit Badge Counselor, as long as they become a member of the BSA and are approved by Council. They don't need to also be part of a Troop. They don't even need to be part of the Scouting Family (they'll become part of the family when they become a Merit badge Counselor). They can be a teacher, police officer, local plumber, etc. etc. etc. If I'm not mistaken, they still aren't even required to pay a registration fee.

To become a Merit Badge Counselor, one needs to fill out two applications - an Adult Leader Registration form and a Merit Badge Counselor Information form. Council approves the appointment of all Merit Badge Counselors.

Calico

The only requirement is that MBCs be adult volunteers registered thru their council... they don't have to be registered with a specific unit. If a prospective MBC is not a member of a unit, they must complete merit badge counselor and adult volunteer applications and submit them to their local council.

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/mbc/

http://www.scouting.org/forms

My council uses a somewhat different badge counselor application form and they don't need an adult volunteer application if you're already a registers adult volunteer.

The link MarkS posted has several additional links at the bottom of the page that should answer every conceivable question. Of course there is no specific statement to refute every point of misinformation one may hear. For that, you must ask the contender to support what he says with some BSA resource.

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/mbc/faq.html

February 2007 edition of ACP&P is simply BSA #33088. No E on it. Because the Feb 07 edition implements the policy changes we've talked about in other threads here, make sure you have the version which on page iii has in a text box:

"Pages with major changes as of February 2007 have been marked with UPDATE at the top of the page."

Lisa, as for the specific answer to your question, you will find it on page 13, under the heading "Qualifications of Counselors." PM me if needed and I will quote verbatim for you.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

I justed wanted to chirp in by saying I agree with the others ... In my council MBC has to fill out the council (not BSA) MBC app, and fill out the adult volunteer app. The MBC does not have to hold any official position in any unit, or even at the district level. Often MBC are a teacher, a parent, or maybe just a friendly resource like once we found out a Olympic bicyclist was living in our area - we contacted him and he agreed to come to the meetings for a month to work with the Scouts.

and as others seem to have found the official references I wont go looking...

Hope my wacky 2 cents is helpful...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

Helping leaders one resource at a time....

Scott,

In my Council, every MBC is input to ScoutNet. If a person has multiple registrations (ie MC, RT Staff, and Counselor), then he/she has all his positions listed.

Does that make sense? Are we agreeing, but saying it differently?

In this case it doesn't much matter which version of the book you look at. None of them have any requirement that a counselor must be registered with a troop. All of them say the counselor must submit an application and be approved by the council advancement committee.

Mmmmm, I'm imagining the frosting...

I know for a fact that many MBs are earned in this district and council and the counselors are NOT registered either as leaders or counselors. The so-called MB program is incredibly slack. And not many of us seem to care. I've pretty much given up on it.