Going along with the Adults leaving summer camp early,

What do you do when you have scouts decide to leave summer camp on Friday night, instead of leaving on Saturday with the rest of the troop?

I had a few scouts decide to leave because they were either bored, tired, or whatever. I had a couple that wanted to leave after their parents came up for the closing campfire (this was their first time away from mom and dad, homesick and all. I have no problem with them).

It is the more experienced scouts that left, even without telling me that they were leaving. I found out after they were gone. They didn't even tell their SPL or their PL's that they were going, just their tent mates. A couple of them are up for higher rank advancements, Star, Life, etc.

This is not something new, they have done it in the past. It is almost a tradition with them, to leave camp on Friday, and leave the cleanup to the rest of the troop.

Some cite that they are leaving on family vacation the next day and want to get an aerly start, etc.

Any number of reasons.

What would you do?

Thanks

OGO(This message has been edited by OldGrayOwl)

Ah, leaving early because of a family responsibility or something else...

People are going to have times when they need to leave early, I am not sure how to prevent that but you can have an established protocol of leaving early. First off, no scout is allowed to leave unless an adult has been notified, the adults are responsible for the youth and so its not to much of a stretch to have them notify someone they are leaving. Next, notification of leaving early is to be done early on. There will always be those "emergency" situations, but the family vacation starting on saturday doesnt mean you get to tell the scoutmaster friday evening you are leaving.

THen, for the scouts excused early, that doesnt mean they cant pack up some things, help with some clean up on friday as they will miss the saturdays cleanup. You can have people leaving early without them getting off scot free!

OGO,

Most of what OGE said.

My Scout Reservations, in conformance with state child endangerment laws, have ironclad departure policies. Leaving the reservation without signing out the kid, even by parents, can be the impetus for the Professional Service to notify the gendarmerie. Non-custodial parental kidnap is an area challenge, that's why they're hard over about signing off the property.

Your unit can make the internal consequences for leaving without checking out with the Scoutmaster as mild or onerous as you want them. I would say, at the more onerous end, that you coordinate first with your District Advancement Chairman, so you get backup if you're going to slow down a Scout's advancement.

The definition of Scout Spirit is "Live the Scout Oath and Law in your daily lives." Well, for a week, camp was their daily life.

"A Scout is Helpful, Friendly, Courteous..."

I think I'd have a Scoutmaster Conference as soon as possible. I think I'd talk with the CC, it's time for a "not yet" on advancement.

I think I'd hold them accountable for their actions in leaving camp early at the Scoutmaster Conference. If these young men are not OA, I think I'd remove their names from next years' eligibility for candidacy.

I think I'd have them come up with a Scoutmaster Assigned project to show some service and willingness to honor those points of the Scout Law.

I think I'd have them police the entire Troop Camp at the next couple of unit campouts.

BTW, all this assumes there was not a legitimate reason for them to leave early: HS pre-season athletic camp, band camp, family trip come to mind. Check the info that would go into the back-story!!!(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Or yeh can "Just Say No."

Seems like most of da time, we want to teach kids to be responsible team members, and that means staying for cleanup until the team is done. An exception should truly be an exception... a one-time thing for an unusual circumstance, for a boy who has otherwise been a good team member.

Now, folks that sneak out, I think yeh often have to run a full lost camper drill and call the cops. :p Yeh just don't know, eh? Better safe than sorry. It'd be a good lesson to all the parents that you take your supervision responsibility seriously. If it turns out during the search that they discover the boy snuck home with a parent, then a bit of embarrassed apology to everyone goes a long way toward prevention, eh?

Beavah

"then a bit of embarrassed apology to everyone goes a long way toward prevention, eh?"

That and receiving a bill for un-necessary search and rescue effort that was undertaken by local agencies on the order of $10K - $20K would do it for most.

Or imagine riding home with your scout only to hear on the radio an "Amber Alert" had been called out on a boy scout abducted from the local boy scout camp named.... described as...!

As for leaving early, I agree with OGE. There may be times it is necessary, but I would let it known before hand anyone leaving early needs to notify the acting SM at the beginning of the week and would be asked to double up on chores during the week to make up for the lost effort to clean up on Saturday.

SA

Used to be even worse when Family Night was on Wednesday...we had a heck of a time getting them to stay the rest of the week...they didn't care that they wouldn't get their merit badges or OA qualification for a long-term camp. Now it's Friday and most scouts leave with their parents after the campfire (or sooner if they don't want to stay). Saturday morning is just continental breakfast, camp inspection and leave. We make sure that all tents are inspected by the SPL before they leave, the latrine is cleaned, and all we have to do Sat morning is pack our own gear and leave. It's easier than fighting the fight, since there's really no good reason for them to stay. Camp is 90 minutes from home, so transportation is usually not an issue.

As you all know, we went to a new camp this year for the first time. The camp staff actually told us that their responsibility for the scouts ended at 5 pm Friday night. Whether they left camp or not was up to the SM and the staff didn't care and didn't want to know.

Scoutldr wrote:

The camp staff actually told us that their responsibility for the scouts ended at 5 pm Friday night. Whether they left camp or not was up to the SM and the staff didn't care and didn't want to know.

I'd really hate to be the SE or Council President of that Council, should there ever be a lost child event after the camp "closed." On both of our Reservations, there is a "gates locked" time ... you need to be GONE when the staff locks the gates.

We had to address this issue within our troop about 3 years ago. Family Night/Campfire is on Friday night.After the Campfire and purchasing refreshments from the Trading Post, several of the scouts wanted to leave and go home with their parents. While the boys let the SM know their intentions, and he agreed to let them depart early, we soon realized the folly of having several scouts leave camp early.

On Saturday Morning,we had to disassemble our Gateway (Usually 2-3 boys). (This includes packing the Troop Flag, U.S. Flag and any other accesoories that were part of the Gateway)

Our Troop Trailer needed to be re-packed with propane tanks,lanterns, stoves and anything else that was utilized during the week. (Min.2-3 boys).

Personal gear needs packed and stowed away.

Tents need swept out, Latrine needs cleaned one last time and the campsite needs policed.

Breakfast falls in here somewhwere...

Camp Commissioner does one final inspection before we are permitted to leave camp.

Out of 15 boys for the week, we had 6 boys who remained on Saturday for final cleanup.

I certainly don't think that it was fair for these six to clean up for the nine who departed camp early.

After discussing this with the Troop Committee, it was decided that all scouts and leaders would stay until Saturday. Any exceptions would have to be addressed with the SM PRIOR TO CAMP!!!!

Since this policy implementation, and with the understanding of the parents and scouts, we have lost only 2 or 3 on Friday nights.

Our camp goes through Saturday morning. Breakfast is followed by a camp-wide COH that takes about 20 minutes, after which people can leave.

Leaving on Friday is an option for troops only if you want to pack all your gear out on Friday. No vehicles are allowed in camp before Saturday morning.

We discourage parents from attending the parents night campfire on Wednesday. A few years ago we lost 4 boys from the troop because the MOTHERS couldn't bear to leave without their little ones. Our parents understand and have supported our position. Plus, they save $$$ on gas!

On Friday night troops have their own campfires and invite their favorite staff members to attend. It's always fun. The next morning, everyone is up early to finish packing up, load vehicles (that get driven in Saturday morning), eat breakfast, have COH, and leave.

Occasionally a boy has a family need to leave on Friday, but it's always known about before camp, and we make sure the boy has done his fair share. One of our adult leaders has to be present when the boy is signed out at the camp office, and the parent has to show ID.

Our biggest problem is parents remembering to come pick up their boys on Saturday morning!

"This is not something new, they have done it in the past. It is almost a tradition with them, to leave camp on Friday ..."

Knowing that cutting out early is a tradition, try speaking with the boys and the parents before camp to explain the new expcectations.

Don't know about other camps?

But at Camp Conestoga, the campers don't do much on Saturday AM.

So if people departing early is a problem, why not plan to depart after the camp fire on Friday?

Ea.

(It would be a shame to miss the end of camp reflection on Friday night!)

Eagle son staffed at Bear Family Resident Camp these past six weeks. Program was designed to have Bear Cub and adult partner doing something from the moment the cars parked to the moment everyone got in the car to leave. Closing activities began at 4PM on Saturdays and Mondays (F-S overnight, Sun-M overnight). Those who stayed got some high-energy program. Den Flag competitions, Den Yell competitions, and a special doo-dad for those who stayed to the end.

I've seen other camps where program was designed to do good things Saturday morning just before departure. Yes, it's right to pre-pack some stuff Friday afternoon, but it's a two-way street: The Camp has to provide energy to the program to the very last, and Scouts and Scouters have to be willing to take advantage of the program.

I like what FScouter said: Set new expectations. I would add: Apply them to the unit and to the camp.