hey everyone,

I got three really big problems and i was wanting to know what everyone thinks of them and how i can try to fix them.

The First one is that the scouts in my troop are not advancing. i know that boy scouts isnt all about advancing in rank but the problem is that we have probably 12 scouts in my troop that are still stuck on scout and have been for the better part of 6 months because they have no will power to even go to Tenderfoot. Last week i tried telling them that advancment is important not because it gives you rank but because of the vaulable skills you gain as you try to complete the requirments for the next rank. i dont know if i got through to them.

The Second is that my troop isnt really boy lead. i mean its ran by the SPL but we really dont break into patrols anymore which is probably why our scouts arnt advancing. because for me i got to first class when i was in scouts just by doing stuff with my patrol. but what we do most of the time is just sit there and our scoutmaster talks and he does a really good job but the problem is that i dont think the boys are getting anything out of it.

The Third problem im having right now is respect. im 18 years old and i just became an assistant scoutmaster in march but the boys still try to view me as a scout and not a scouter. for example use to me and the guys would just play around...wrestling and stuff like that but what they cant relize is that i cant do that stuff anymore and its really hard for me to get the respect of the boys. they dont want to listen to anything i say and a lot of times i have to go to the older Assisant Scoutmaster to help me get them to listen. the scouts like to throw stuff at me and hit me....which in the past wouldnt bother me cause we were all messing around with each other and just giving each other a hard time...but now i cant because im no longer a youth scout. its hard for me to explain the age diffrence to the boys cause i still got younger scouts that want to share a tent with me when we camp and i have to tell them know and explain to them why. but use to i would always share a tent with a younger scout because i was their age once and i know what it feels like to be alone on your first campout so i try to help them out. but the point is they try to treat me like a kid and im not. to you older scouts im still a kid but to the younger kids i should be seen as a adult figure.

does anyone have any advice?

Lee,

It may be frustrating, but it isn't unusual for there to be some difficulties adjusting to new roles - either on your part, or on the part of your friends who are still part of the youth program. This is almost always the case whenever you change positions in anything in life (school, work, family, whatever). As far as making that transition a little easier, it sounds to me like you might benefit from having a specific assignment rather than serving as a general "ASM for everything." Maybe you can talk with your SM about this.

Specifically, I imagine that it might be easier for you to work with younger scouts than to work with scouts who are almost your own age and who have been your peers, both in scouting and probably at school too. Going into next year, perhaps you can serve as an ASM for new scouts and help the boys who cross over into your troop find their way. Between now and February (or whenever cross-overs typically are held in your area) you could do some outreach to webelos dens from packs in your area too, as prep. for cross-over.

If you take a role like this, remember to keep a positive outlook on the troop. Sure, your troop has some weaknesses (as you describe) but so does every troop, and you want to emphasize what you like about the troop and perhaps what positive changes are in the works (what will be even better...). Don't over-promise, but don't dwell on what isn't working perfectly right now, either.

As for the advancement issue - is it really that the boys have no initiative? It might look like that to you, but there may be other, underlying causes to consider. It is true that (with the exception of the physical fitness requirements, which seems to slow down a lot of boys) the skills for tenderfoot aren't that hard and many should be "refreshers" for boys who have earned the Arrow of Light. If they're active with the troop, you're right that they should be able to get to tenderfoot fairly easily. However, I've noticed three things that keep active young scouts from advancing in those early ranks:

1) They're tired from webelos, where sometimes it seems like it is all about "earning" all those pins, badges, etc! They want some time to just enjoy scouting. (Most will not articulate it as clearly as this but that doesn't mean they aren't feeling it)

2) They may be still trying to get their feet on the ground in boy scouts. There's so much to adjust to, going from cubs to boy scouts, and it takes some boys a while to feel comfortable before they start really thinking about advancement. This isn't so much about scout skill as it is about emotional readiness, adjusting to a new peer group, detaching from mom/dad/Webelos den leader as figures of authority, etc.. Don't forget that these guys are probably also just getting ready to enter middle school at the end of summer - another big emotional change ahead for them - and they have a lot on their minds besides rank advancement.

3) The program might not be designed to help these boys advance. Maybe there are few or no opportunities built in to the program to learn and use the skills they need for tenderfoot? If that's the case then this is something that you might discuss with the SM, and that the SM might then take to the PLC.

I hope this helps a bit. Above all, I suggest you have a friendly sit-down with your SM to discuss how you might use your considerable talent and desire to help to the best effect with the troop over the next six months to a year. I think you'll be more at ease once you have a more defined role to play.

1) Advancement - Boys can advance without knowing it. If all your programs for the boys involve advancement and are viewed by the boys more as a game than a requirement, you can still mark off the skill accomplishment when fulfilled. When I was working with the Webelos boys a few years back, everything we did was fun and games, yet they all centered themselves around the pins and advancement. The only problem I ever encountered was one pack meeting when they were handing out pins the CM asked the boy what he had done to earn the pin. The boy genuinely didn't know. However, the CM then asked what he had done since the last pack meeting and it became obvious the activities he had done all centered around the pin he was receiving.

2) Age/Responsibility/Respect - Find an ASM duty that for the time being isn't directly involved with the boys, i.e. advancment, summer camp planning, etc. for example This way you will have less contact with the boys and will be able to adjust to your new responsibilities as ASM and have some time to evaluate, learn and develop as an adult leader. Boys understand how these things work and like the new boys and their TG, maybe you need to view yourself as a TG to the youth leadership. They will quickly see that you are "not one of them" but you're there on a different level to help them instead.

3) Hang out with the adults. You shouldn't have to "go to one of the older adults", you are now running with the big dogs, act like one. If the adults are hanging back from the pack, you hang back. The adults hang together, you need to hang with them now. If the boys are throwing stuff at you and you're sitting with the adults, someone else will put an end to it and you won't need to even respond. The adults know what's going on and they will continue to work with you as you develop. It won't take long for the boys to figure out you are no longer "one of them" if you don't act like them. You aren't a peer, you are now a mentor. The quicker you establish that, the happier everyone will be.

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)

Lee,

Welcome to adult Scoutering!!! :) I trust you have plans to take Youth Protection, Merit Badge Counselor, Fast Start, New Leader Essentials, Scoutmaster Specific, and Outdoor Leader for Scoutmasters... ;) not to mention BALOO, Den Leader Specific, Webelos Den Specific, Cubmaster Specific, Troop Committee Challenge...

1st point: BSA has a wealth of adult leader training. Take some time and enjoy it.

2d point: Re-rolling as an Assistant Scoutmaster in the Troop of your youth isn't always the best option, either for you or the kids. You have a chance to make new associations now, and to act with the adults as a peer. Have you considered going across town to a different Troop, or jumping back to Cub Scouts and serving as an ACM or ADL?

I would take Lisa's post and print it out. There is much meat on those bones, and it's worthy of critical study.

You have 50-60 years ahead of you, Lord willing, of fantastic friendships and great times ... because you want to serve youth. Enjoy the journey, and take time to enjoy the views! You'll be amazed at many of them.

YIS

You know, the advancement from one position to another is difficult in any arena whether it's from being blue collar to white collar on the same jobsite, or from a Scout to a Scouter.

The rules tend to be the same though. You are now a Supervisor not a Team chief or Patrol Leader.

You need to get some separation, I don't mean leave the unit but that you can't pal around the same way you did before - adult leaders generally pal around with the Scouts but differently and with the Adult/Scout boundary still in place.

The other posters are right, this is when you spend more time with the adults and see how they act and react. Perhaps you take an Adult Quartermaster position for a time and let others deal with advancement issues. This should and can be a great time for you but it will be better if you establish some space in your relationships with the Scouts and then reestablish the relationships with the proper boundaries later.