To weapon or not to weapon

I'm not usually one for "yeah, what he/she said" but I'm with Gunny and Lisabob on this one - and, Barry, it's so hard to slip that cultural leash, isn't it? Especially when mommy usually IS the problem. Female scouters tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

Vicki

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Only a LEO would originate the idea that weapon designates that it had been involved in the commission of a crime."

I have no idea what a LEO is, but I don't think it was compliment taken from the context. So, in that vein thank you for insulting my camp school instructor, someone who you have no idea who he is, what he has done or anything at all, other than a phrase I wrote about him explaining my viewpoint

OGE, it's Law Enforcement Officer. I didn't take it as an insult, maybe a little sarcastic, but more commenting on the probable cultural context of the person making the statement. Also taking Gunny's screen name into account, I was particularly unwilling to read it as an insult of another person in uniform.

Not trying to put words into Gunny's mouth, just my own interpretation of a statement made in a problematic medium.

Vicki(This message has been edited by Vicki)

"I didn't take it as an insult, ..."

It's easy for a third party to interpret a comment as not an insult when it's directed at another person.

"Weapon", "firearm", "gun"? What's the diff? The purpose of that mechanical device is to kill, either animals or other people.

FScouter wrote ""I didn't take it as an insult, ..."

It's easy for a third party to interpret a comment as not an insult when it's directed at another person. "

and this entire sub-thread is a particularly good example of why one should develop a thick skin before venturing into the internet world. Even better, an ability to give a person the benefit of the doubt before sending a snap, judgemental reply, eh? Or googling what an LEO is in order to have complete knowledge?

Vicki

Barry wrote, "...she will let me."

Sigh. Grin. Elizabeth Barrett Browning once wrote (and I've never been able to find the quote again to attribute it correctly), "I just want the human race to end in a tie."

Done. No agenda, th-th-th-that's all, folks!

Vicki

Weapon", "firearm", "gun"? What's the diff? The purpose of that mechanical device is to kill, either animals or other people.

Except when that weapon is used to make dinner, whittle a stick, competition shooting, bi-athelon, etc.

As far as killing animals, there are far more animals killed by other means than killed with a weapon, firearm, or gun.

Every law enforcement officer will also tell you that a weapon, firearm, or gun he uses is not exclusively used for the purpose of killing, either animals or other people.

After all, there are guns and ammunition that are used exclusively for shooting skeet, and military assault rifles that are made today that are used exclusively in reenacting which never fire live ammunition.

While the puprose of fishing poles contribute to the capture and death of animals, somehow I just can't wrap my mind around them as being a weapon. Harpoons, maybe...

Hmmmm, a military bayonet is a mechanical device use to kill other people, and yet any kid in the country can own one.

Somehow, I have a difficult type trying to define absolutes in light of this grey-area discussion.

Stosh

Packsaddle wrote, "Have we beat this dead herring enough yet?"

Which one? The feminist, or the PC language, or the "guns don't kill people, people do", or the over-sensitive, too quick to take offense?

Sure hope Scott got his answer somewhere along the way!

Would a dead herring be easier to beat than a horse? Although it would squish too quickly to be at all satisfying.

VBG! As the probably not-so-immortal bard once sang, "send lawyers, guns and money."

Vicki

AND, strictly soasto not be identified solely as a thread hijacker - Scott, I would enroll my son in the weapons instruction course. Basic firearms safety sounds really boring and I would check in advance before assuming that safety would be included in any weapons instruction since we all know what they say about assuming.

Always assuming we're talking Boy Scouts here and not Cub Scouts where, of course, the G2SS, rules and regs, would, I'm sure, have something to say. Quick, another opportunity to hijack the thread!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!

Vicki

I have lots of input on the rather rhetorical question as I do not intend to change my non-use of the weapon word, especially when my latest "students" were 130 some odd cub scouts all of whom have mothers who would hang anyone who teaches her hyper 8 year old to use weapons, but on the other hand understand full well the value of teaching the same 8 year old that a gun is not some toy to be played with like is so often portrayed on TV. Please note I did try to quiet some of the controversy by stipulating that I did understand the dangerous man concept i.e. a dangerous man is quite capable of killing with the tools at hand rather than requiring a specific tool to do so and a lethal tool in the hands of someone other than a dangerous man is just a bluff. Thanks to one and all for your input and hopefully we all learned something.

To be sure, the term LEO is not sarcastic, however, this is the original quote:

"Only a LEO would originate the idea that weapon designates that it had been involved in the commission of a crime."

Now, lets change the subject of the sentence with other nouns and see if the sentence still makes sense:

Only a IDIOT would originate the idea that weapon designates that it had been involved in the commission of a crime.

Only a MORON would originate the idea that weapon designates that it had been involved in the commission of a crime.

Only a IMBECILE would originate the idea that weapon designates that it had been involved in the commission of a crime.

Only a HONEST BRAVE MAN would originate the idea that weapon designates that it had been involved in the commission of a crime.

Only a TRUSTWORTHY SCOUT would originate the idea that weapon designates that it had been involved in the commission of a crime.

Only a MAN I RESPECT would originate the idea that weapon designates that it had been involved in the commission of a crime.

The message seems clear