It's just sad, anyway you look at it!

Well, it is Saturday morning 7:51 to be exact. Our council had a Lights out night at the local minor league baseball field. It started out nice with a game, then fireworks. After the fireworks we were then allowed to set up our tents on the field and they were going to play "Night at the Museum" on the scoreboard. We get on the field, set up our tents, kick back to watch a movie and then BAMB! they hit us with this " WE WILL NOT BE TURNING OFF THE LIGHTS DO TO THE FACT THAT AN UNSCHEDULED GAMES IS AT 11 IN THE MORNING AND THE CLEANING CREW HAS TO WORK THROUGH THE NIGHT TO GET THE STADIUM CLEAN". So here we go, we have the kids all jacked up on sugar from the game and now they are not going to turn the lights out? All night, all we heard was blowers, machinery, people working and the BRIGHT lights. What happened to the lights out? The kids did not sleep, the parents did not sleep and a bunch of people went home. I am sorry but this was not a pleasant trip. I'm not the kind of person to complain, I try to make the best out of anything but Come on! I think the stadium should refund our money and send everybody a apology letter! Wait till Monday when I go to the Stadium on Monday and complain............................

That is so disappointing! I hope the experience doesn't turn off some families who are new to scouting. I certainly hope you guys get your money back. You should ask about complimentary tickets to a ball game for all the scout families who thought they were signing up for a fun evening, but instead suffered through a loud sleepless night.

PR department in the front office sets up a fun scout event on a Friday evening.

League game scheduler in the back office sets up a make-up game or somesuch on what looks like a free Saturday morning, not really knowing what the Friday night entailed.

Nobody catches the cleaning-time problem until Friday night.

Stuff happens even when good people are doing their best. Happens plenty in scout troops, cub packs, and venturing crews.

Be kind, courteous, and understanding. I bet they'll do what they can to make good, and in the process you'll leave a good impression of Scouting in their minds.

Beavah

Maybe a song will cheer you up?

Song: Always Look On The Bright Side of Life.

Some things in life are bad

They can really make you mad

Other things just make you swear and curse.

When you're chewing on life's gristle

Don't grumble, give a whistle

And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...

Always look on the light side of life...

If life seems jolly rotten

There's something you've forgotten

And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.

When you're feeling in the dumps

Don't be silly chumps

Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

And...always look on the bright side of life...

Always look on the light side of life...

For life is quite absurd

And death's the final word

You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin

Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

So always look on the bright side of death

Just before you draw your terminal breath

Life's a piece of !@#$

When you look at it

Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true.

You'll see it's all a show

Keep 'em laughing as you go

Just remember that the last laugh is on you.

And always look on the bright side of life...

Always look on the right side of life...

(Come on guys, cheer up!)

Always look on the bright side of life...

(Worse things happen at sea, you know.)

(I mean - what have you got to lose?)

(You know, you come from nothing - you're going back to nothing.

What have you lost? Nothing!)

Always look on the right side of life...

Just think

No one was afraid of the dark.

No uninvited wild animals.

You could find the bathroom without a flashlight.

In ten years time the Cub Scouts will have forgot about all the camps where everything went well but they will talk about this one until they are old and grey like me.

It wasn't snowing.

You weren't in The Louisiana Superdome.

The fireworks were great.

How many kids can say they seen the clean up crew at work?

Ea.

I'm Brian and so's me wife...

Pack378, I'm with Beav on this one about holding your temper and being "kind, courteous, and understanding"...

Let them know that you'd like to give them a chance to make it up to the boys and see what they do next...

On the other hand, if that fails, pull out all the stops, hit the mayor's office, the local paper and TV.

this event was so nice last year! It was 25 bucks a person which ended up costing me 75 bucks plus drinks, popcorn etc. Two thing, 1. they should have told us before we set up camp and 2. If they would have asked, I think 600 Scouters could have cleaned the stands in less than an hour. I would have helped if they would have said the word. I'm going to wait for Monday and see what council says...........

If they would have asked, I think 600 Scouters could have cleaned the stands in less than an hour.

Yah, this does seem like da rational way to go, eh? I expect that union work rules would have prevented that. And of course the omnipresent boogeyman of "liability." Amazin' how such stuff gets in the way sometimes.

B

P.S. Does anyone else have images of Eamonn croonin' like Bing Crosby now floatin' through their heads? :)

>P.S. Does anyone else have images of Eamonn croonin' like Bing Crosby now floatin' through their heads?

Nope. I see Eric Idle singing and whistling this tune from The Life of Brian while being crucified (records available in the lobby).

Ed

Pack 378,

What's done is done, and you cannot undo it. NOLO BASTARDUS CARBORUNDUM is a favorite saying of my dad, who was a WWII PW held by the Imperial Japanese Army.

Even with Boy Scouts, if you sugar them up after 6PM, they aren't going to run down until 3AM. They'd have been up all night as was.

I think Beavah has a good idea: Look at the funny side of this, and take-away the lesson of coordination on multiple levels. I don't know of a Scouter here who has not been either a victim of or a participant in a fiasco at some time in the Scouting career!

YIS :)

I have a car dealer that I MUST go to because the car CANNOT be worked on by my neighborhood garage (okay, a Prius, and no local garage knows beans about'em, yet).

In for a usual oil change and repair of a broken piece of trim. Phone call day before, the fella says, "no problem. Gottem in stock. Do it during the oil change." Get there at 7am, first in line. Sign in, be in and out in an hour. 9am, I go to the service writer, where,s my car? "Oh, I'm sorry, we forgot to put you in the computer scheduler. It'll be ready in an hour". 11am, service guy comes to me and says, well, the trim part I need is not in stock, gotta order it. It'll be in tommorrow (??from Yokohama?). I take a deep breath and say, you know I was first in line this morning,right? and the fella on the phone yesterday said he had it in stock? "I understand fully", the service guy says. He says, "would you like to bring it back tomorrow or leave it overnight and we will call you when it's ready? Would you like a loaner?" I say I'll leave it, and pick it up after work tomorrow. He says great, come this way to sign out the loaner.

I go home in a 2007 model, take the family out for pizza in my "new car". and go to work and get called the car is ready and go back, turn in the loaner, ask for my bill. The service guy says "no charge". For anything.Free oil change, free part, free loaner.

Went to my local video rentel/sale place. Find a DVD I'd like. Sticker on it reads $9.99. I takr it up to the cashier. He scans it and says "that's $14.59, please". I say, no, the price sticker says $9.99. He says the sticker is wrong. I say, then ALL those DVDs have the wrong sticker. He says, well the price with tax is $14.59. I say, no, it's $9.99 and tax that. He says no, I can't sell it for that. I ask to see the manager. He says he is the manager. He says the price is $14.59, and starts to peel the sticker off. I say I can buy it for $9.99? He says no. I say, well, your sticker computer just lost a sale and walk out.

Now, which business will I deal with in the future? Which will I recommend to my friends?

Give'm a chance to "make it right".

And what wingnut said....