Unit Numbers - Oh my!

When I was a kid, one area of my 'town' they formed a troop at a Mormon church, troop 52. As the only troop in that large area, a lot of non-Mormons joined. Over time, some of the ways Mormons run their troops caused problems, and all the non-Mormons split out to form a new troop in that community. The troop number? 25. Picked by the DE because, 'all the kids already had those 2 numbers from being part of troop 52'.

There were 2 historical re-enactment posts (one still exists as a VenturING Crew) in my council. Posts 1835 and 1838. Numbers picked because 1) we did 2nd Seminole War re-enactments, and the war ran from 1835 to 1842 and 2) the leadership of the 2 posts mainly came from troops 35 and 38.

We also has an Indian Lore Post (later crew) formed mainly of the indian hobbists in my OA Lodge. Post 564. Same number as my lodge. When that lodge started to charter its chapters as Crews, the numbers were all x564, such as 2564, etc.

I have heard of other Explorer Posts/Venturing Crews that had numbers of the council OA lodge for the same reasons...

So there can be some creativity in unit numbers.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OGE, no Bradbury fans here, apparently. A high-tech crew would be 1984.

A high adventure crew specializing in winter survival could be Crew -32. We had a Post 911...emergency services.

When I got back to Scouting with my sons, we joined Pack 66. The Pack split and we formed Pack 99. Split again and formed Pack 991. Then we formed Troop 99.

1138- George Lucas' first movie THX1138, referenced in many of his other movies

1337- LeetSpeak for elite

1701- USS Enterprise, NCC-1701 (cool if you were lived in Enterprise, Alabama)

187- murder under Section 187 of the California Penal Code; referenced in several bands, songs and movies

1984- George Orwell novel (chartered by Big Brothers?)

24601- prisoner number of Jean Valjean in Les Misrables (Law Enforcement Explorer post?)

46664- Nelson Mandela's prisoner number

5309- song 867-5309

6- The Prisoner TV mini-series (anyone else a fan?)

69105- used in the old Infocom games (Zork, etc.)

90210- Troop Beverly Hills?

Ed

who is number 1?

Crew 007 would have as its uniform an Armani Tux that comes off in one sweeping motion to reveal a full wet suit underneath, just the thing for the "Enchantment Under the Sea" type dances The young ladies of the Crew would have an elegant Versace Dress (off the shoulder of course)which when pulled off reveals a full climbing outfit comlete with climibg harness and an impressive array of carabiners (that actually are carabiners)

Perhaps Crew 86 would be an electronics oriented crew dedicated to placing a phone in a shoe which may be possible today

Post 1984 would be studying survelliance techniques at the local government building, they could tell you who their CO is but then they would have to kill you. Harry Caul is the Committee Chair and Martin Bishop would ,of course, be the Advisor(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Back in my softball playing days I ended up being the "coach" mostly because no one else wanted to do the job, but someone had to get roster forms, make changes, etc. So, when jerseys were ordered I got a special number "0" and wore it proudly, the next year uniforms changed and I got another jersey, this one was "00", When people asked why I changed I said with a years experience, I was twice as valuable as I was the first year.

BTW: Jim Otto

"1701- USS Enterprise, NCC-1701 (cool if you were lived in Enterprise, Alabama)"

I had never heard of Enterprise, AL prior to this thread. Now they're in the news the same week. Please don't mention my town ...

Thoughts and prayers to the people of Enterprise...

How about Crew 12321, its membership would be limited to people who have names like:

Anna

Ava

Eve

Hannah

Ada

Bob

Otto

The Crew slogan would be Live not on evil

(favorite music would be ABBA, and most admired athelete Monica Seles, actor Radar from MASH)

>I had never heard of Enterprise, AL prior to this thread. Now they're in the news the same week. Please don't mention my town ..

I heard about Enterprise, AL on the news this morning. I guess I picked them off the top of the list, as there are also towns in Kansas, Nevada, Florida, Oregon and Utah.

Ed