I went to our district awards dinner (actually, it's dessert) last night, and was surprised they did not give out the award for starting a new unit. They introduced it last year, I believe, but now I'm wondering if that was a one time only award or did they just forget. I thought I would ask here, first. There were several people who started new units (mostly troops and crews) but no award.

You're referring to the William D. Boyce award. Could be several reasons why the award was not given: the person did not apply for it; the unit was organized but the specified procedure (12 steps) was not followed; etc.

To my knowledge the award is ongoing. My wife and I both earned it last year. We each were of seven that earned it in our council. We've yet to receive the knot though. We were told they weren't in production yet. I found that very odd.

rkfrance wrote:

"We were told they weren't in production yet. I found that very odd."

That does sound vary odd, especially, when we have not only had several in our district earn it, but we have awarded them the knot.

The knots have been available for a long time. Why would they only be given out at an annual District dinner. Knots are awarded to leaders every month at our round tables.

(This message has been edited by GNX Guy)