"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, "

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness . . ."

Looking back over this past year.

Wow!! What a year.

I do want to thank all of you who have kept my family in their prayers.

When I found out that the cancer that we thought we had beaten had returned to Her Who Must Be Obeyed (Jamie, my wife). I was so darn mad.

Mad at everything and everyone, even God!!

I think that I was more upset than she was.

At times over the past few months, I looked at the refrigerator door. Once it was our private and personal gallery for the works of art that OJ had made. Thanksgiving turkeys formed by tracing his little hand, pictures of people with big eyes and only three fingers. Changed into some chaotic magnetized filing system. The magnets holding cards from Doctor's offices telling and reminding us of when and what time we should be where.

Chemotherapy is no joy.

Sure the staff at the Arnold Palmer Clinic, were wonderful; helpful, informative and did everything they could to be up-beat.

Thankfully the chemo is now done.

The Doctor who never struck me as being an optimist informs us that the cancer marker in the blood CS25 or whatever is now back in the normal range, the CAT scan shows that the enlarged lymph-nodes are shrinking and told her to go home and grow some hair.

We have had to smile at the people who have commented about how good she looks!! Her "New hairstyle" and all the weight she has lost!!

Over the past few months I found myself doing things I never thought I could or would ever do!!

I took on the role of being the keeper of the pills, the pill pusher, the "You need to eat more" nagger. I even ventured into the depths of the laundry room!!

Strange how if anything we both are now closer and seem to love each other more than we ever have.

As yet I'm not sure if we have won the war, but we seem to be winning a few battles. The winning seems to be pulling me out of the dark and cheerless places I have been hiding in.

With all this going on, the time I had for Scouting and the Ship was cut back.

Still the memories of last summer, the warm days spent kayaking in Savannah. Remembering how happy the Scouts were as I listened to them chatting as I drove back to PA. How very proud they were of their 56 miles and how much I ached. I remembered asking myself should a 50 year old with a bad back be trying to keep up with these young adults? The truth of course is that I was as proud as they were!!

Unable to leave Her Who Must Be Obeyed alone without bringing in someone to stay with her, my involvement in other areas of Scouting seemed to fade.

Even Scouting magazine, which I used to read from cover to cover ended up with all the other unread and soon to be placed in the trash trade and professional magazines.

I think I know that I'll never be the Scouter I once was. I'll be happy to do my best for the Ship and the Sea Scouts.

I do know that I will be a better husband and partner.

Again many thanks for the thoughts, prayers and kind e-mails.

2007 is now only hours away.

I have no idea what it will bring. The calender is already looking kind of full!

I wish you all a great year.

"A boy's story is the best that is ever told.

Eamonn

Don't let it wear you down. Take care of her and do what you have to do and spend quality time with your family. One day at a time. No matter what you think God is with your every step.

Lost two very close Scouting friends in the last three years,one this past spring.