" translation from 'tongues' "

The posting by PS made me smile!!

" Translation from 'tongues' "

In our house:

"What do you want for dinner?"

Translation: We are having chicken.

"The grass is starting to grow"

Translation: Get off your duff and mow the grass.

"Is that someone at the door?"

Translation: You answer the door, I'm not going to!

"Hey Dad"

Translation: OJ needs something, is going to be home late or needs money!

"Hey Babe"

Translation: Eamonn wants to go away for the weekend.

"When you get time"

Translation: Stop whatever the heck your doing and do ...

"It would be nice if ..."

Translation: This is what we are going to do.

"You look tired"

Translation: I'm tired and we are all going to bed.

"Did you remember to ..."

Translation: I forgot to ...

Please feel free to add.

Eamonn.

See, now I had a different view of this topic. I have two lovely neices, Erin and Kelly. My mother had the hardest time in the world saying those names together, especially after she had a series of "mini-strokes". WHen she said the names together, it was forever comming out as Karen and Elly. She knew that was wrong, but she just couldnt ennuciate Erin and Kelly as a phrase. The girls being a little older had no problem. When my mother called for Karen and Elly, both would get up and see what grandma had to say. We started calling them Karen and Elly and as has been said, it was no problem as long as they werent called late for dinner.

My mother always had a history of malaprops. Way back there was a TV show called "Carter Country" about a small county sheriff's Office starring Victor French and Kene Holliday. Of course she always referred to it as Kotter Country. A few years later when Gabe Kaplan came along with the sweathogs, John Travolta as Vinnie Barbarino and Arnold (The cattle are dying) Horshack the show was promptly referred to as "Welcome Back Carter"

Then there was the time she was thriled with the Insurance Companies new prescription plan, she had to send away for the drugs mail order but they were so cheap she didnt mind. She said it was because it was the genetic equivalent. I said I think thats generic Mom, to which she said perhaps, but it really should be geriatric.

I miss her...

In our house:

Husband to wife: need anything from the store?

Wife to husband #1: no, not really. Translation: Bad day today, better bring home a chocolate bar.

Wife to husband #2: nope, we're good. Translation: Great day today, just come on home.

Trev - just a perfect example of how imprecise the typed word on these forums can be and how our posts may be misinterpreted:

I am, in fact, the wife and I only have one husband. My post was meant to convey two different responses to the same question. I should have put response #1 to husband and response #2 to husband.

Oh boy, just the thought of a second husband....that's for another thread. :-)

Nephew says "Tia, I have a question"

Nephew means "Tia, I want to know what you think but then will argue with you or ask unanswerable follow ups until your head explodes."

Nephew shouts down the stairs "Tia, can you come to the bottom of the stairs?"

Nephew means "I broke something upstairs."

YiS

Michelle (aka Tia)