Eagle Scout statistics

Could it be that while the overall number of Scouts has dropped, that the number of Scouts who are highly active, interested, and invested in the program has increased? In other words, perhaps the boys who drop out or never join are the same boys who, in the past, would have been in scouts because there was nothing else to do, but who would never have advanced that much.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reviving an old topic...

In Al Townley's new book, Legacy of Honor, he states, "Of the 110 million boys who have joined the Scout movement, just shy of 2 million have reached its pinnacle (Eagle)."

This book just came out, with a 2007 copyright. He doesn't state where he got the numbers, but I'm assuming from National. He works just down the road from me, so I'll see if I can contact him for additional info. My calculator tells me that number is just shy of 2%.

I have just started the book - it arrived today - and I can tell I am going to really enjoy it.

Brent,

The 110 million number sounds as though the author is taking all who ever walked into a Pack, Troop, Team, Post, or Crew meeting.

Earlier in the thread, the number thrown out for all boys who started Boy Scouting was 51 million. That feels closer to correct.

There's a key point missing in this particular bean counting drill:

THE PROGRAM HAS BEEN REDESIGNED, TO MAKE THE TRAIL TO EAGLE MORE COHERENT!

I still have my (or rather my Owl patrol mate has my) 1968 Boy Scout HB (1965 edition). The program then was 5 MB to Start (1 ER), 10 to Life (5 ER), and 21 to Eagle (11 ER).

Today's program is 6 to Star (4 ER), 11 to Life (+3 or 7ER), and 21 (12 ER) to Eagl.

Look at the difference. The Scout is over halfway, both in terms of gross MBs and Eagle Required MBs, when he makes Life. Unless he did Swimming and Hiking and Biking as well as Emergency Prep and Lifesaving, he's on the downslope when he finished his Life BOR.

Without regard to the difficulty of MBs or the "correctness" of the Eagle Required List, the fact is, the advancement program is more coherent. That makes the trail easier to follow.

To me, that's a good thing.

It never ceases to amaze me how much time and energy is wasted on this discussion.

In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter what the number is? I look at the number as harmless marketing fluff.

All that matters to me is that my son (a Star Scout) does his best, be prepared, and hopefully, one day be awarded his Eagle.

Whether that makes him part of the 5%, 2% or 30% isn't an issue to me, and I'm sure it won't be for him, either.

Why is it so important to everyone else?

Why is it important to me? Simple. Some on this forum have accused National of outright lying when they say only 5% of Scouts earn Eagle. I don't think National would have any interest, or anything to gain, in making up that number. Plus, I just have an interest in what % does make the rank.

Besides, I like to decide what is important to me, and not have to have it approved by others.

• 4 weeks later...

BrentAllen, I'm almost finished with Townley's book, it is a great inspiration for anyone who is Eagle, or is thinking about earning it. I think it is a great, well written piece of literature.

As for the rest of this discussion, I understand that some of you feel that National is being less than honest with the statistics, but in the process of bashing the numbers you are also downgrading the integrity of Eagle. I'm an Eagle Scout, class of '93. I'm very proud of this fact. As far as my BSA Troop goes, I had my COH with five of my greatest friends. My troop was not an Eagle mill, it was a great troop with excellent leadership. I earned my Eagle. The fact that I am an Eagle Scout holds more weight than I even realized. Eagles are leaders. Eagles believe in the Scout Law and Oath, they may stray from it throughout their lives, but they remember it, and they'll come back to it. Does that mean you should take everything you read as gospel. Absolutely not. It's OK to question authority, it's another thing to disregard other people's opinions and thoughts because you think you're right. I think Beavah should just relax a little bit, type in better English (sorry, it's difficult for me to follow some of your comments with you typing in slang and using non-words), and support his opinions as best he can. Facts are what proves issues, not ideas or opinions. Be accepting of others, and respect your fellow scouters.

If you're an Eagle, be proud of your accomplishments, not of what odds you beat to get there.

• 1 year later...

Earning Eagle is not hard. What's hard is holding the interest of a teenage boy in a specific topic/course of action for five or more years from middle thru high school. They mature fast (hopefully) and interests change (hopefully). Often an interest is scouting is lost (sadly).