Last night was the first meeting of the "new" scout year. We take August off for family time away from scouting (although we had enough events in August that it wasn't "time off"). The PLC and I had a meeting a couple of weeks ago to plan the year, including the first month of meetings.

Well, last night came and we had our ideas of what we wanted to do and the boys seemed bored. We had some "house cleaning" to do and we talked of some upcoming events, as well as a flag retirement ceremony that we are doing with our local VFW in two weeks. The SPL and I were trying to get across how important and solemn the occasion should be. While we were talking we had other boys talking (including one PL) and not listening. We then discussed a camporee that is at the end of the month that we might participate in and we were trying to get some idea of interest. There seemed to be some interest, but then as the SPL was going through the events the talking and not paying attention started again.

At the end of the night I went home very frustrated, thinking that our meetings have become too boring and that we need to do something different. I am looking for some ideas to help liven up our meetings so that the boys pay attention and start to enjoy them meetings. When we went through our annual planning, we talked about keeping a theme for the month and tying that in to our camping event. This month hasn't worked that way so far and we really don't want to turn this into another "school" type activity.

Any ideas to help keep the scouts interested and engaged during the meetings?

Thanks,

Bill

I would suggest splitting the large group into smaller groups of 3-4 kids. Have each group brainstorm how a flag retirement ceremony should be conducted. Each group should have a reporter to write down the groups ideas. Bring the large group together after a set period of time and have each group report out. Record common themes and then take the opportunity to expand on include others of merit.

This encourages participation and hopefully it will stay on topic.

Could be done in patrols, but it works better with fewer kids.

Another suggestion: Do a skit of a flag retirement ceremony that is absolutely atrocious... really exaggerate the poor behavior.

Discuss afterwards what was incorrect. My cubs in particular seem to enjoy this!

Maybe do your "housekeeping" as patrols. Have the SPL instruct the PL as to what needs to be covered, and then let the PL's conduct the business with their patrols. Also, follow the guidelines set forth in the Troop Program Features. Split the meeting into app 20 minute segments, sandwich fun-physical acivities amoung the sit down housekeeping ones.

You could have a Troop newsletter with all the announcements on it distributed by the patrol leaders at the end of the meeting along with the news letter posted on your troop website. Course that means you need to be computer literate but if you arent, I am sure someone in your troop can help the computer challenged in your troop. Then you dont need to devote as much time to the announcements

pargo,

It sounds like the Jr leaders are not thinking of themselves as leaders. You don't say how long the meeting was, or how old the scouts are. You could recommend that the SPL throw in a break like a MadLib every 45 minutes or so. A short conference with each scout individually may be called for, and how you were dissapointed in his lack of participation in the PLC, and ask each if he really thinks that he is fulfilling the duties of his position.

Or perhaps they may be having trouble getting back in the swing of things, and may be better at the next PLC.

For a scout that has a reputation for, and continues to be a distraction, you can help the rest of the PLC by asking that scout to call his parents and have them come and pick him up. I made that request once, and the scout understood I was serious, and managed to return his focus to the meeting.

Around here, the boys are still on "summer vacation". School doesn't start until after Labor Day. Our last two Monday meetings were sparsely attended, in spite of the SPL calling each scout to remind them. Even then , they "forgot" to come to the meeting. I am hoping things will improve after school starts and they are out of "vacation" mode.

As far as the meetings themselves, boys this age don't like being "talked at". They get enough of that in school. Make sure your meetings are fast paced, no more than 10-15 minutes on any one task. The more physical activity and "hands on" the better. Having them sit and listen to someone talk should be a last resort. There's a reason it's called the Scoutmaster's "Minute".

Thanks for all the good ideas. I am coming up on my first anniversary of being SM and the Troop Program Features were never used before. I am trying to get our PLC to try and use this as a guideline for all meetings. I know it takes time to turn a ship, just was a little frustrated the other night.

The idea for smaller groups is good, but I didn't want to break them up at the first meeting. We just went through a reshuffling of our patrols, and I am trying to get them to actually operate as patrols, yet another thing that wasn't done in the past.

I am hoping that some of the issue was the "first meeting back" bugaboo!

We have issues with boring meetings as well. Our challenge has been that the boys selected as SPL have tended to be the more mature, quiet, reserved types. They don't plan meetings around the average boy, but to their personality. I continue to challenge them on this, but they have to "want" to make it fun. And, the other boys in the troop have to step up and help pull it off.

If you were doing your duties (as SM?), then the PLC would be the one's frustrated and they would be asking the question about change and action and how to keep people's attention.

A well planned Scout meeting has many elements that should meet the criteria that the boys seek. What you expressed does not match what would be set-forth as a good example from any of the training.

(*the short answer)

FB

I think I read that the attention span of a young Lad is about nine minutes. Divide this in half when you have a group.

I think it's wonderful that you are seeing that there is a problem.

Back when I was walking to school in the snow uphill... Education was a lot different than it is today. We can have a lively debate about that. Our Scouts are not used to having someone talk to them for what they consider a long time.

The newsletter and web site are a must.

The trick to good Scout meetings is in the planning.

"Plan Your Work And Work Your Plan"

Have the Meeting Plan on paper. Give copies to everyone who is doing anything.

Before the meeting gather everyone and everything that you need for the meeting.

Make sure you have everything at hand.

Trying to do anything with a compass when you don't have one is just silly. Finding out that you left them in the car and telling the Scouts to "Amuse yourself for a couple of minutes" doesn't work either.

I really like to start the meeting with something where the Scouts can let off a lot of steam.Use this as your gathering activity, have the ASPL run this while you are meeting with the SPL and the other people who are involved in that nights meeting.

I have just started reading the new books that the UK Scout Association has put out about The Balanced Programme, some of it can be found at:

http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/6to25/network/programme/zones/environment.htm

After the meeting run a reflection with the PLC and grade what happened.

Just because something worked well, don't fall into the trap of doing it too often and stop doing it before the Scouts get bored.

The odd game of dodge ball is fine but every week for 20 mins is really boring.

Mix things up a little.

Have meetings outdoors.

Throw in random acts of silliness.

Add some Ethical thinking role play.

Use boatswains chair knots in Patrol relays.

Give each Patrol todays newspaper and have them look for stories that highlight the Scout Law.

Have them write the closing prayer.

Get a couple of PL's to do a Timmy Tenderfoot packs a back pack and then have a PL show how it should be done.

Really go to town on inter-patrol competitions.

Indoor pioneering projects can be great: sedan chairs and races.

Spend a Saturday afternoon with the PLC practicing this sort of stuff.

Have each Patrol cook a different dehydrated meal and then bring the troop together to taste test it.

There must be 20 different Kim's Games out there.

Have a round robin. Each PL prepares it in advance (Smell, taste, sounds, and vision.)

The thing most SM's seem to forget is that they get a Scoutmasters minute.

If things are going as they should that's all they need!!

Eamonn.

Thanks everyone for your posts and ideas. Fuzzy Bear, I understand your comment, however, as I said, I am trying to turn this troop back into boy led. When you don't have boys that have experience of leading meetings, it does take a while. Our SPL, has come so far in the last 10 months, it is amazing. And he does realized that the meetings are boring as well, and is trying to come up with ideas as well.