way's to recognize a Leader

Is there a way to recognize a Leader for training boys for a merit badge like first aid?

If a boy uses the first aid to help save someone life?

I think the leader who took the time should receive something for his

ability to teach the boys the right way. To teach them to stay calm and to know what to do at a time when there training is needed.

Mr.Maynard

Sure, there's lots of ways to recognize someone. It doesn't mean it has to come from national or council. I had a leader that participated in saving a guy's life. I don't know if he'll get any kind of national award or not. But you can bet that at the next court of honor I brought him up and recognized him in front of the entire troop. I gave him a small token, and a pat on the back. That was greatly appreciated by him.

Never under estimate the value of a simple thank you or pat on the back.

Having said that there are a number of BSA awards and recognition that are available to scouts and scouters that have assisted others beyond expectations. A descrition of these awards can be found at

http://www.usscouts.org/usscouts/advance/boyscout/heroism.html

If you know of a scout or scouter who you feel merits one of these awards I would suggest you contact your local council. I believe it is the councils that nominate candidates for these awards. These awards are also described on the National Website which also has a summary of the nominating procedures at http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=xx&c=ds&terms=National+Court+of+Honor

We had a 13 year old awarded a Medal of Merit Heroism(I'm not sure which.) a few years back for saving the life of a friend of his after his friend managed to skateboard through a large glass door and had severe bleeding. The lad kept his cool, had others get help, and managed to control the bleeding until paramedics arrived. The paramedics indicated his friend likely would have bled to death had this scout not reponded quickly and appropriately.

SA(This message has been edited by scoutingagain)

Most state or US Senators and Representatives are more than happy to get a resolution passed to recognize one of their constituents for an accomplishment. It usually only takes a phone call or email to get it done. Be sure to have ready the person's full name, address, organization, position, and a short description of the event.

I've taught/mentored Merit Badges for years. Over the years we've gotten brownies, cookies, thank you notes, and an occassional small gift certificate for a local Pizza place.

Honestly, the notes from the kids mean the most.

I don't do any MB as important as First Aid, although my son does First Aid and Fire Safety. So one day he may have someone he's taught save a life.

Hopefully my Personal Management lessons stand the kids in good stead when they get older, and save them from sinking in debt.

There are 16 year old twins that recently pulled a 6 year old out of the Trinity River. He had fallen off a rock bridge and his mother couldn't swim. THey were working on their cycling merit badge on the trail that runs next to the river. By the time they got him out the paramedics were there. THey checked him out ask the Scouts some questions, got their names and their parents names. At that point the boys got back on their bikes and completed their trek. They are being recommended for the Natinal Life Saving Award by our Council.