Need some tips for a trip down South.

We depart for Georgia early Saturday.

I never really gave much thought to Georgia not being Pennsylvania??

I phoned one of the Guides and she started talking about a "Real Frog Strangler" Of course I had no idea what she was talking about! I thought maybe just as OJ used to catch lightning Bugs when he was a little fellow, that young kids in Georgia did much the same thing with frogs. I was wrong. What she was saying was that they'd had some hard rain!

Later I e-mailed something about breakfast and she said that she had some squid!!

I've had caviar for breakfast in Norway and Sweden and eaten squid in Greece. It's OK, made better with some Metaxa, but do they really eat squid for breakfast?

I'm OK with being called a Limey. Should I avoid the word "Reb"?

One Lady keeps referring to herself as a "Flat land Georgia Girl" (She is over 45!) I thought all the females were Georgia Peaches?

Would anyone be offended if I asked for a peach in place of the squid for breakfast?

While we are away we will be fishing for Shrimp and crab. I'm not very keen on hot sauce. Do they use a lot and how hot is it? (I learned the hard way with chili in New Mexico!!)

Any tips you have that would prevent me from seeming like a real twit would be much appreciated.

I'm not eating squid for breakfast maybe dinner, but not breakfast!!

Eamonn

Are the bugs in Georgia as big as the monsters they have in Florida?

Down south, squid is usually considered bait unless you're in a Japanese restaurant. Perhaps some fried fish to go along with the grits, biscuits and sausage gravy?

Iced tea will always come sweetened with sugar (mixed in while still hot so it will melt) unless you specify otherwise. Adult females you are not related to are addressed as "ma'am" regardless of age. Referring to one as "peach" may get you slapped (or worse!).

Be sure to try the Brunswick stew (still unknown whether it was originated in Brunswick, GA or Brunswick County VA), collard greens, spoonbread, peanut soup and pecan pralines.

Make sure you don't refer to the "Civil War"--it's the "War Between the States," or even better, the "War of Northern Aggression."

Have a great time--I'm sure you'll find Georgians to be very friendly.

Having been to Florida, you have an idea of what it will be like in Georgia. Unless, of course, you spent all of your time around Orlando. In that case you have no idea.

Sounds like you are going to a coastal area of Georgia. People who live on the coastal plains of southern states are flatlanders. The people who live right on the coast are a bit different than the rest of us but I doubt that even they have squid for breakfast regularly. Flatlanders are the stereotypical southerners. Flatlander is determined by where you are from in Georgia. Being a peach is a state of mind and too difficult to describe. Rest assured you'll know one when you meet one. Your acquaintance may very well be a peach as well as a flatlander.

Once you get off of the coastal plans you may notice that people are more like the stereotypical redneck or hillbilly. (I'm in this group so save your flames folks.) It may not be apparent to visitors but there is a distinct difference between rural highland southerners and true hill folk of the appalachians.

Hot sauce is only de rigueur in Louisiana. Elsewhere it is a personal preference. For the most part the hot sauces you will be served are in the mild and medium category (by my standards).

This time of year you will have two kinds of weather in Georgia. Hot and damn hot. Luckily, you'll generally have a breeze on the coast. Take it as easy as possible the first three days while your body acclimates. Drink lots of water and teach all of your scouts to observe the color of their urine to judge whether they are drinking enough.

Be cheerful and willing to laugh at yourself and any dumb things you might say will go right on past every normal person. Most of us like to be asked about the things we say and never give much thought to because everyone else says them. It's fun to teach people from other places what a frog strangler is, what wherebouts means, the correct usage of yall, etc.

Here are a few starters. Like can mean something close to nearly as in "I like to have missed the boat." The phrase "fixin to" means that you are just about to do something, "I'm fixin to eat me some squid." Coke/cocola/dope is used to refer to any carbonated soft drink, "You want a coke?" "Yep." "What kind?" "Dr. Pepper." is a common conversation. (I'm serious!) Carts at the grocery store are called buggies. Yonder means something like there. Reckon means something like think. That should get you going.

The bugs on the Georgia coast are as big as the bugs in Florida but you won't notice them much because of all the gnats. If you eat outside get used to eating gnat-flavored food.

Yellow Hammer nailed some really good advice there. I'm not as experienced with coastal Georgia, but I am with SC and the Tennessee area (and Kentucky, of course).

The coke conversation really is true, and drives non-southerners crazy.

Expect to hear "Yer not from 'round here, er ya?"

Allowing someone to merge in traffic is normal down here. When they wave back, they are thanking you by using their whole hand, not just one finger.

If while driving someone waves at you (from the side of a road or an approaching vehicle), they don't know you, they're just being friendly. Wave back. A common technique we use is simply raising one or two fingers off the steering wheel to say "hi".

You "gas up" a car, "carry me" to dinner, and yes, grits are normal breakfast food.

Finally, remember to save your Dixie Cups, the south will rise again!

Eamonn,

First and foremost, try to lose or mask your British accent! It's a sure give away. As EagleinKY indicated, get in tune with the local dialect. It's "soda" or "sodie" and not "pop." It's "y'all" and not "you all." It's "gas station" and not "petro station." It's "Hey" and not "Hello." Here are some more Southern dialect: http://www.vaiden.net/convert.html . It was meant for Mississippi area, but close enough. By the way, the website is meant to be humorous and nothing else! :)

Since you're from Penn and if I remember my times in Penn about 18 years ago, do not stop completely on the freeway on-ramp in Georgia as you do in Penn. You'll get run over quicker than you can say ouch. Good luck!

1Hour(This message has been edited by OneHour)

GOLD BOND POWDER

As our camp SPL said while giving camp tips to first year campers, "This will be your best friend." It will prevent ugly aggravating rashes due to heat and humidity. Or as our boys call it "The Camp Shuffle". Just last night I had an 11 year old give me way too much information on his rash and this was on the way to Vespers. I had a lot to pray about when I got there.

Remember it is HOT and Humid. Yesterday it was 102, an hour ago it was 101 and now it is storming. It will end within 30 min to an hour and be steamy again. Think of the early days of Jambo 05. Really do have that discussion on the color of urine.

Oh yeah, I am a flatland GA Girl, and I am also past 45. I will be a GA Girl even when I am 90.

I also agree that squid is fish-bait, and grits are for breakfast with butter or gravy. Add cheese when served for supper with fish.

Someone is yankin' your chain about eatin' squid for breakfast. Grits, eggs, bacon and toast is the usual menu. Grits can also mean "Girls Raised In The South."

If you want unsweetened tea, you better ask for it. You'll here some folks ask for "half & half" these days, which means a glass of half sweet tea and half unsweet tea - they are trying to eat and drink healthier!

Gnats are commonly referred to as "moving pepper." Eat outside and you will see why. Avon's Skin So Soft will keep them away pretty well, if you don't want to use bug spray. They really go for the eyes and mouth, which can be very irritating. Gnats don't bite or anything, but sand fleas do. You'll never see them (sand fleas) but you will feel their bite. Bug spray keeps them away as well.

Saying "yes sir" and "yes ma'am" to any adult will get you on their warm side immediatly.

You won't get punched for calling someone Reb or Johnny Reb, but you will get some cut eyes and a cold shoulder. Calling someone a Redneck might just get you a black eye. The term doesn't bother me at all, but some take high offense. I wouldn't recommend asking anyone if you can hear their Rebel Yell.

If you haven't tried boiled peanuts, get a small bag or ask for a taste to try them. You'll either love 'em or hate 'em.

I'm not saying the mosquitos are big, but some say they are so big, they have ticks on 'em. Any true Georgian knows they are fibbin' - we all know ticks hate flying - they get air sick.

Where are you going and what are you doing? Please PM me if you don't want to make it public.

Any female should be addressed as "Miss" [first name] and men are "Mr" [first name] don't forget that there is not only Ya'll but in a group it's "All Ya'll" or the plural possessive "All Ya'll's!. There's only one real kind of BBQ and it's Carolina Style and it's NOT an event!! (as a native Pennsylvanian myself I know that we have -A- BBQ, where here in the south BBQ is the main dish!).

sue m.

So far:

The tea thing is fine -I gave up drinking it when I crossed the pond and never did drink COLD Tea -Yuck!!

I don't drink very much soda/pop and never heard of dope. I do have the odd tonic water with very little ice and a lime if there is one to be had.

I still have my accent after 22 years in this fair land. I have never used the Pittsburgheez.(Yins, Red the table) So I don't think it's possible for me to develop a drawl from now till Saturday.

I'm OK with the Ma-am and Sir, in fact I tend to use it at work and use it with the Sea Scouts. (They are gradually coming round to calling me Skip!!)

Grits are OK with dippy eggs!!

If you have grits at Dinner and Breakfast why not Lunch?

As to the "War of Northern Aggression."

I keep thinking of the episode of Fawlty Towers, when the Germans come to stay at the hotel and Basil keeps telling everyone not to mention the war.

I'm well armed with Gold Bond, Sun block, Deet, a big floppy hat.

I have no idea how you go about catching a shrimp?

Most of the Squid I've seen have been a fair size, if you use that for bait you must be catching some really big fish?

It's a shame this is a Scouting trip, I really like to find a little off the beaten path local and talk with the locals, my accent normally acts as an ice breaker.

I suppose me thanking everyone for naming their State after one of our Kings wouldn't go over that well.

Eamonn

Shrimp are usually caught from a boat by casting nets. Think Forrest Gump! I like to steam them in beer...one 12 oz can in the bottom of a stockpot with a liberal sprinkling of Old Bay seasoning...stir occasionally until they have turned pink...about 10 minutes. Cooking too long will make them tough.

Your crew may find it odd that a shrimp in the wild comes with a head and long antennae!

GOLD BOND POWDER

Off topic, but the subject of Gold Bond reminded me of the last e-mail dispatch our summer camp Scoutmaster sent to the parents. Our SM is taking two crews to Northern Tier next week, so he couldn't attend summer camp for the full week this summer and one of our ASM's served as camp SM. He is an old Air Force officer. Here is his Gold Bond story. Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

"In addition this morning at dawn one additional scout John (Hiking Man) Doe led by Bill (Tree Hugger) Smith reconoitered another possible escape route over Bohannon Peak on an 11.5 mile hike. They to will be honored for their heroism. The elements even played against the "Hiking Man" in his prep for his mission. Having borrowed some "Gold Bond Medicated Powder from the SM, and being unaware of its "cooling, medicating" action on those places where we tend to chafe - he came out of the shower in agony as he was "on-fire" (his words) in that most sensitive area. He was upset the adult leaders were unable to sympathize since as old men we love that cooling medication action. But he perservered and embarked on his mission."

Caldesene powder also works well, without the "tingling" effect. Another "must" is not to walk around all day in a wet bathing suit.

I have been getting my generic "Gold Bond" at the local Dollar store. Just look for the orange bottle. I usually buy 3 or 4 at a time and pour them all together.