Well, gang, I've concluded that I will be a much happier person if I avoid this forum in the future.

There are some really nice people posting here and some worthwhile information, but the negatives just weigh me down too much.

The last straw was Rulesmongering. It just reminded me how much nicer scouting used to be and isn't now.

Fair winds and following seas. :)

Take a break, read some without replyng. I've been a member of this forum for over 4 years and have felt the same way, watch some enforcers bully users, and I only have a few posts compared to some. I pick and choose topics after some forethought. Don't sign off, just sign out for a while.

Hate to see another good Scouter walk away. Always try to remember the good that you have brought into the world through your work in Scouting. Wheather you can see it or not it's there.

I hear ya Kahuna! but take Double E's advice, I've been doing it for quite a little while. Also remember that you can't see or hear the person on the other end's tone, only their words on this forum and it seems like you are getting your hand slapped (Sometimes it's like that).

To all the uniform police, Safety enthusists, Scouting dictionary umpires and other rulesmongers:

If you see a major rules violation that affects the safety, health or well being of others out in the real world then step in. If it's a minor rules infraction, take the offender to the side privately and correct it, if it still goes on then you've done your job. In the forum realm, lighten it up a bit. If a person asks for advise give it to them, but attempt to be kinder and gentler. I've seen quite a few good folks run off these boards because of such things.

These are my observations and in no way are ment to harm or hurt anyone.

Happy Scouting

Cary P

Crew 805 Advisor

Kahuna

I understand. This forum can make one crazy. I have been thinking of doing same - but have yet to be able to pull myself away. I keeping thinking some of these folks will see the light. But I am sure they think the same of me.

So I may follow your example and step away. Maybe we should start a 12 step program :)

I truly hope I did not contribute to the cause of your leaving and if at any time I posted inappropriately regarding you or your faith, my sincere apologies.

You will be missed here. I hope our paths cross in the future.

pax,

ron

More is required

More is required than being swept along

All the currents pulling me

Easy and wide in a long, slow drift

Without rudder, floating backwards, now to the side.

What can one person do against a sucking tide?

I coil like a bow;

I gather like a fist;

I forge like a rudder

And I lean into the wide, slow drift.

I tack and veer by Gods own will.

I raise my voice against the silence.

My voice alone until a chorus joins.

Love

Love is the pure energy of God: pray for it ardently.

Be grateful when it comes into your life: give of it generously.

Lavish it on others: even the undeserving ones.

Cultivate friendship with care: it is the best love of all.

Sister Helen Prejean, CSJ

Kahuna, take a break from the forum, but stop by again now and then. Your wisdom and perspective have helped many of us more than you know.

It's the electronic media that does it, ya know. Makes rudeness so much easier and, at the same time, so much easier to misunderstand and be misunderstood.

aloha

Yeah, what Double Eagle and Trevorum said: take a break for a while.

That's what I've been doing recently, only posting once a week or so. One nice thing about stepping back for a while is that when the server that presents the postings in the last 24 hours produces its usual error message, it is easier to just shrug your shoulders and try again the next day.

Kudu

Kahuna,

I've been on this forum for a while and like others don't often post alot. In my position as Council Commissioner I hear a lot of rants and ravings about uniforming, program, etc. In my view of uniforming, I tell people that I am not a uniform policeman, nor do I play one on TV. If you want to ask me the proper way to uniform, I will tell you, but don't make issue about it with me. The same goes with other policies and procedures of the BSA. Some people think that being the Council Commissioner, I have alot of power. How wrong they are. I do have the ear of the Scout Executive, but only to tell him my opinion, not make policy or enforce it. Every job in Scouting is tough, and a lot of times we just have to bite our upper lip, smile and continue on.

David Harrison

Council Commissioner

LHAC

I've really enjoyed Kahuna's posts, and I'm sorry to see him go. But I do know what he means. I'm sometimes sorry to see the way the forum responds to people who ask for advice, and instead get told they really ought to be following the rules. It's a lot easier to ask for this kind of advice in a small group, I guess, rather than posting to this group where there are almost guaranteed to be people who are going to stick strongly to the party line.

But I also know what he means about the topics involved. The topics that come up on this forum regularly are very different from the ones that we deal with on a regular basis in our physical space. At least they are for me and my units. I have yet to deal with gays, atheism, council misbehavior, or Wiccans in my years of Scouting. Whenever there's a question about how to apply the rules, a couple adults get together and make a quick judgement, and it never comes up again.

But here there are a lot more negative topics, and many more of the normal topics end up with more disagreements than would happen in real life. I knew that when I started to participate, but I decided there was enough value here to make it worthwhile, and that was even back in the days when it seemed like every thread ended with a Bob and Ed flamefest.

Oak Tree

Let me also add that I am sad to see you go. To be honest, I've disagreed with much of the content of many of your postings - but, you always presented your views clearly, politely and with conviction. I firmly believe that reasonable people can have disagreements, and you are a reasonable person. Without disagreement, constructive criticism, and unique perspectives, an organization cannot recognize its faults, and work for improvement. I always have appreciated your method of using common sense and the "reasonable man theory" in giving advice, rather than immediately quoting some BSA policy, or suggesting that the "troops in the silver loops" be brought in. Its also discouraging to see other forum members, whose ideas I often agree with, present them in such a rude, arrogant "greater-than-thou" manner -- goes to show you we can all benefit from reviewing the Scout Law every now and then. I'm sorry to see you go, and I hope that you continue to keep up your good work.

• 2 weeks later...

It's only a forum... Don't put too much into the way people state things. Sometimes we forget to be as polite as we would if the real person we are talking to was actually present. Sometimes it's more difficult to articulate something in the written form than to just say it. For example, who among us have not once spent 30 minutes composing an email that could be handled with a 5 minute phone call?

Just turn on the final forum filter between your ears and remember to "shovel it, pile it, and pick out the good stuff." ;-)(This message has been edited by MarkS)