Believe me when I say I have no idea how long my son OJ has been a Life Scout.

He has completed all the requirements for Eagle Scout rank, apart from the Leadership Service Project.

Her Who Must Be Obeyed has pushed him and tried to get him moving.

I have when asked given my opinion. Basically telling him that it's his Eagle, his goal and it is up to him what he does -But I'd very much like to see him complete it.

The project with our local YMCA was planned and approved last summer, but what with working on Camp Staff, the Jamboree and Philmont and then soccer he just didn't have time.

Now he has added Sea Scouts and a part time job to his already hectic schedule.

I was almost sure that it was never going to happen.

I'm not sure what got him to make the move, but here about a month ago he decided it was time.

He had a few meetings with the YMCA, him and a couple of friends from the OA went to the YMCA last week and marked everything out. (He is installing a volley ball court, two horse shoe pits and a tether-ball game.)

I was a little put out that he choose to do this the same weekend as the Ship was going away, our date had been on the calender since January. But I was pleased that he was doing it!!

Saturday was the day!! Him and 21 of his nearest and dearest friends went to work.

The project is done.

I have sat on a lot of Eagle Scout BOR,but I never heard of so many kids turning out to work on a project. He had friends from soccer, school the OA and a few Sea Scouts who didn't go with the Ship.

I'm a happy Dad.

We talked last night. I asked why he had put it off for so long? He said apart from the time factor, he really didn't like the way the adults in the Troop he is in were pushing him and this just upset him(He used different words!)

He does have the BOR,which unless the guys who sit on the board are really stupid he should fly through.

He is working on when and where to hold the COH,he has a list with over 200 people to be invited.

Her Who Must Be Obeyed will be happy she has had Eagle Scout napkins and other disposables stored for a long time and wants the space.

I'll write the checks and for once will only moan and groan a little bit!!

Eamonn

Congratulations to OJ and to you Eamonn. You both have much to be proud of. At least it is done and you can enjoy the occasion coming up.

I just had a scout who turned 18 on Saturday. He completed 5 required merit badges in the last two weeks and finished his Eagle Project on Thursday! He stressed out his entire family, but accomplished the task! Talk about waiting till the last minute!

Well, having received my Eagle recently enough for it to still be a vivid memory, I think I know what your son is feeling as far as dragging feet from Life to Eagle. And I think I also know what you will be feeling at the CoH- I don't think I've ever seen my parents so proud of me as when I saw them sitting in the parent's "seats of honor" beside me while most of my troop leadership took turns telling stories about me... sorry, I didn't mean to talk about myself!

I certainly hope the Eagle CoH never dies as a tradition. As far as moments of recognition and reflection go, it's hard to beat.

Congratulations to you and your son!

Congrats big E. As the dad of a Life Scout I can relate to you, although my son still has a few years. He told me the other day he's not going to rush to throw together an Eagle Project. He'd like to start planning it next winter and do it next summer. I told him that was great and I was glad he was beginning to think about it seriously.

Congratulations to OJ and also to you E. You are so correct it is their goal to accomplish. As OJ pointed out sometimes we parents and leaders push to hard and turn the scouts off for awhile.

WAY TO GO OJ!

see, sometimes they do "get it". As others have said on many Eagle project postings...the project is not a troop project it is a leadership project...I am way more impressed (and I tend to be a worker bee at most of our Eagle projects) when the workers span the whole community rather than the troop and the scouts family...

I recall a two weekend project a couple of years ago were we figured over 10 different "organizations" were repesented...The lads troop, soccer team, library vols, church group, Lion, Ruritans, etc...it really shows the Scouts understanding of 'getting others involved' ...doesn't it?

Again, well done OJ! (and congrats Eamonn..the checks really don't hurt for this one) ;>)

Anarchist

Many congratulations OJ (and Eamonn, for keeping your mouth shut). How fun to be a proud father and feel your heart just go boom!

Vicki (Mom/Scouter to a Lifer - my teeth are going to be worn down from keeping my mouth shut)

Ditto to what Kahuna said. Congratulations to your family, Eamonn! You must be bursting with pride, and though it's OJ's goal and accomplishment, I firmly believe that families are part of the process and deserve some credit for the support they give.