Not to revive an old thread but this topic came up in our troop recently. What do you think about asking the SPL and/or PLC to address the troop on this issue, rather than the SM? Keeping in mind that some of the PLC members are likely offenders...

Lisa'bob

IMO, having the SPL and/or the PLC address the issue with the other boys could go a long way toward resolving an issue, with a couple of "ifs".

IF the PLC/SPL is willing to seriously consider the matter and discuss it with adults, this could be more powerful than having the SM address it with the troop. However, the adult leadership must have frank discussion with the PLC/SPL to convey what the norms of acceptable language for the unit. It also goes nicely with the "boy run - adult guided" philosophy.

ALSO IF the PLC/SPL is willing to do more than give "lip service" to dealing with the matter. It's one thing to make an announcement/prounouncement that "language such as [insert curse words here] isn't acceptable". It is quite another thing to be vigilant about enforcement, especially if the chief enforcer is also one of the chief violators. It could, though, be an opportunity for personal growth...

Just my $.02.

I work with lots of young people in my job, at our Church and in Scouts. I like the majority of them and I have even found some with the most problems to make me think the most. Some take longer to get used to than others but patience pays in those difficult circumstances. I hear a little profanity and some put-downs from almost any of them but they generally curb it with a look. I think some want to push the limits or define the limits or some want to express their growth rings or some want to be nourished through discipline, I am never quite sure but my reaction is generally always the same. I first call their name and ask them to back off. Secondly, I take them aside and remind them that we all have voluntarily chosen to come to this place and to reach for the goals that have been set before us. Nobody is making us do it and I don't want to be their quasi-parent to enforce it. I need their assistance and I value their input so being at odds won't make it any better. If none of that works, then it is time to make a decision as to what direction that they value most in life and help them redirect their efforts.

Although I seldom arrive at number three, any that have reached that high-water mark has chosen future displays to be behind my back and out of ear-shot. I don't know that I have been a success in changing things but it makes for a less dramatic and more pleasant atmosphere. FB

Scoutmaster to young Scout trying out new words:

That kind of talk is offensive to a lot of people. Are you trying to portray a low-life image or yourself? Using those kinds of words shows others how limited your vocabulary is and how self-centered and offensive you can be. How about using other words to express your thoughts that are not offensive to others, get your message across, and dont diminish your good character?

Scoutmaster to young Scout trying out new words:

That kind of talk is offensive to a lot of people. Are you trying to portray a low-life image or yourself? Using those kinds of words shows others how limited your vocabulary is and how self-centered and offensive you can be. How about using other words to express your thoughts that are not offensive to others, get your message across, and dont diminish your good character?

Yeah! That'll work!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Greetings Everyone,

Just to add my two cents... (darnit)

I am also a retired Sailor, I have served in the trenches with other services and been around the world a couple of times. I think I've said before in this forum, I probably know more curse words in more languages than my youth. But do I use them? I don't see any reason why to. Many years ago, I was asked, "How do you want to be remembered?" That was a sobering thought.

Regarding my Scouting units. Less of the younger Scouts trying out new words, I have heard more cursing from the older Scouts and Venturers. So, about twice a year, I give a Advisors Minute called "Choose your Words".

(BTW, This is my same philosophy at home as well, and my family knows it.)

The Bottom Line Up Front....

....I am no saint. I do know how to curse. If you hear me cursing, you better come running. Because I probably just stuck a knife thru my finger, again (or to borrow from Purcelce) or I just dropped a canoe on my foot.. Ouch! You better bring the First Aid box with you too!

I only hope if I hear you cursing, I won't need the whole First Aid kit.

Does my "minute" have any affect? I hope so, but I really don't know. Most of them cursed before Scouts, most of them will still be cursing after they leave Scouting.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

To set the right example, you must do it %100. Anything less than that and you have failed.

And, never use the F word - one of the most overused in a cursers vocabulary.

I always say, "cursing shows your ingnorance".