I was doing the math the other day and

figured out that I will have a son in a Troop for the next 18 years and in a Pack for 11 of the next 12 years. It is kinda overwheling to think of it in that way. I like to volunteer with whatever my kids are doing, but it will be kinda hard to work with a Pack and

Troop at the same time (just not enough hours). By the time my son's age out of scouting, I will be 52 years old (scary thought).

My oldest son (second year Scout) wants me to take over for his retiring SM. I told him that if this was happenning next summer that I would consider it. But with being pregnant (due in August), I wouldn't be able to go camping with the boys until next spring at least. I made him a deal and told him that I would sign up as an ASM to whoever takes over. I can help at meetings, service projects, etc. Maybe that would make the job less overwhelming to someone else.

Yeah...what Lisa'bob said... But I think of it more this way...It took more than 30 years before I got to be a Boy Scout, and I'm gonna' enjoy every moment of it! My first son started Cubs in 1991. My last still has 7 years. Sometimes I get tired, but oh what fun I've had and will continue to have! I do think you're smart to not volunteer as SM at this time, though. ;) (I'll be considerable older than 52 when he's through, by the way. The main challenge is getting up in the mornings (off the ground) in the middle of the winter.)

Ma Scout

GOT CHA!!!!!       He  He  He    One hour a week, I could kiss the person who thought that one up:)

Seriously don't take on too much or anything before you feel ready. This can really be fun and experiencing some Scouting moments with you child (children) can actually bring you top tears. Sunrise on the Tooth with my Father and 31 years later with both my sons comes to mind. Slow and steady, take ALL the training, have fun.

LongHaul

Contrary to popular belief, life does not end at 52. I will be 52 in Sept and I'm just thankful that I don't have a 7 year old like one of my co-workers the same age. My sons are 27 and 24, have full time jobs and are done with college. Just when I thought life was going to get easier and I would finally have some disposable income, my mother in law moved in with us. I still do scouting as a troop CC and district committee, but am seriously considering pulling back and devoting some time to me. Can't get past the guilt feelings that if I quit the troop, so will the SM and ASM...two buddies who started the troop with me and both of whose sons are also grown and gone and have no reason to stay. I've been searching for successors, but no one wants to step up to the plate. If we leave, the troop will probably fold.

Kittle-

Scouting does not end at 52. I'm 56. My son is 25, and I'm still the SM. Have fun, the boys will slow the aging process. Or maybe the maturity process. You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.

I know that life doesn't end at 52. But looking at it this way just makes it seem that it will be forever. The Pack that I have been the WL/ACM for the past 2 years with has a 66ish year old CM. She is doing it with her grandson, who just crossed over today.

Long Haul, I have had almost all the training. I have had Leader specific for Bear and Webelos, CM/ACM, Webelos Outdoor Leader training, SM/ASM (got tricked into that one), and was going to go to

Wood Badge this fall. Wood Badge will have to be put off for a couple of years because of the baby. I would be ready to take on SM if I wasn't 6 months pregnant, but that changes everything.

"I know that life doesn't end at 52. But looking at it this way just makes it seem that it will be forever."

I have been an adult leader in a Scouting program (GS, CS, BS) for 14 years now. Sometimes only one, sometimes two, sometimes all three at once. Time just seems to slip away. If you enjoy it, it's not daunting at all.

Don't look ahead and get beyond yourself. Sometimes life does happen while we are scouting & things might change for you. Enjoy what you are doing now.

Happy Scouting!!