For those of you who have held both positions, which do you prefer?

I have been a Web leader for 3 years now. I have not enjoyed it and it has been getting worse. I stayed on as Webelos leader this last year because the Pack could not get anyone to step up for the position. I have already told them that I would not be a leader after May. I have a year until my next son will be old enough for Cubs. I will stay on as committee or help somewhere, but am not going to be the Webelos leader.

My oldest son's Troop has 1 SM and 1 ASM (who doesn't have the opportunity to attend regularly). I have had SM/ASM training. I would like to help the SM out at meetings. Do I need to step up as an ASM or can I just let her know that I will do whatever she needs me to help her with?

Thanks for your input.

scoutldr,

I wouldn't want to consider a district position. I have one yaer until my next (2 of 3) son is old enough for Cubs. When he ages out of Cubs, our youngest will be old enough for Cubs (I am pregnant with our 3rd son). I know I will be spending the next 18 years involved in Scouts, probably most of it in Cubs.

Kittle,

I was a WDL and now I'm on the committee for my son's troop. That's obviously not the same as being an ASM, I know, but still...

I liked being a WDL best. We had a really great group of boys and parents to work with. It can become exhausting though. I can't imagine doing that job with a group of "difficult" boys/parents as you have described in previous posts. I guess, if you aren't enjoying it, that should be the big signal that it is time to try something different.

Being involved in the troop can be exhausting too, just in different ways (grin). If the troop needs additional ASM support, great, there might be a role for you. What about their troop committee? They might also need some help there so don't exclude those possible jobs. Whatever you end up with, be willing to give it a try for a bit to adjust, but if you aren't enjoying it after a while, don't hesitate to speak up and to try something else instead!

Given your continued ties to the pack, maybe you'd be a great person to head up the troop's webelos-scout transition program for the next year or two? Or help coordinate scouting for food, or whatever other joint projects the troop and pack do together?

Good luck finding a happy niche!

Lisa'bob

I am on my second "tour of duty" as WL. When my 4th grader crosses over to his older brother's troop, I am planning on registering as an ASM. I volunteer with the troop, which I know is not the same as being an ASM, but it sure looks a heck of a lot easier! My former Asst. WL is an ASM with the troop, and he says it is WAY easier than being a Webelos leader. I do enjoy my Webelos den (as I did, with my older son's den), but I will be saying good-bye to Cub Scouts in about one year. I would be interested in being a troop/pack liaison, however.

We should all thank you for keeping the scouting numbers up! I only know of a few other families who have 3 or more boys in scouts. Also, you've given a lot of your time to cub scouts already, so don't feel guilty about taking time to spend with your family (especially when you have a new-born). Like LisaBob said, there are other ways you can give to the Pack without having to devote so much time. Or, devote some of that time to the troop, since you'll be in cub scouts again before you know it.

I was WDL for 2 years (and CC for one). I recently crossed over to Scouts as an ASM. It is a old (1913) but young and small troop. They were struggling along. The new SM was also a WDL and between the two of us we brought 12 new boys in. There are 3 active boys one year older and a couple of boys who are about to Eagle out.

ASM is a lot more enjoyable to me. As both CC and WDL the last year it seems I was doing most everything. I had a couple of boys who wanted all 20 badges and we covered most all of them. It was a lot of work and I think we missed out on some fun things we could have done working so hard on badges. The SM has been there before and has the Vision for a boy run troop.

It is great fun watching the boys do for themselves, even though I spend a lot of time with my hands in by pockets and biting my tongue to keep from jumping in.

I held both positions simultaneously! At the time, I viewed my WDL position as primary. It was more work because I was the leader in charge so to speak.

Depending on your personality, do you like to be in control or more in the background? The positions are vastly different. For WDL, you are teaching Scouting skills - i.e. activity pins, as well as planning the outings. Do you camp as a Webelos den?

As an ASM (more properly - SA) you may have totally different duties. Are you more of an instructor of scouting skills? For example do you have expertise in First Aid, outdoor cooking, backpacking, etc.? Are you assigned to a particular patrol? If you are an SA for an NSP (new scout patrol) your position should be very similar to WDL (however, NSP should NOT be Webelos III!).

You may be given a duty such as Quartermaster as an SA. You would work closely with the ASPL and youth QM in that position.

Look at your strengths and what YOU want to do. Don't look at what is needed so much. Just like your paying job (if you have one), you do best when you do what you like.

I've just finished my first year as an ASM, after being an asst WDL and WDL for my son's Webelos den. I think I can safely say your "job" as an ASM can be as much (or as little) as you and the SM want to make it. One thing you said, however, got my attention:I would like to help the SM out at meetings.I see that you've been to SM/ASM training -- but did you watch the SM Fast Start video or DVD? Because if you didn't you should.One of the first points made in the SM Fast Start is that the SM doesn't "run" things, and certainly not the Troop Meetings. If you're under that impression, or if youyr SM does in fact run the Troop Meetings, you might suggest to her that she review the Fast Start training.

Thanks everyone for the replies. After giving it much thought, I think I am going to take a break until after the baby is born. I will have to be starting back into the Cub Scouit thing again in the fall of 2007. Maybe a year off would give me a chance to refresh my interest in all things Scouting.

I will still be available to take boys to campouts and camp, if needed, for the next couple of months.

If you are tired, (which I always was when I was expecting! ;) ) by all means take a break! I always preferred SA to WDL, but I prefer working with older youth in all walks of life...teaching, church groups, etc. However, I did really enjoy my time as a WDL, as well as the other Cub positions I held (CC, DL, TDL). I did a lot of research and gathered together a lot of fun ideas...we worked on a lot of badges as a group, but they often didn't realize they were "working". For the dead boring stuff, I'd mix it in with some of the fun stuff.

Good luck & I hope you return refreshed! Stay in touch with this group & I'm sure you'll be able to keep your enthusiasm lit.

Ma Scout