I know for me, it is because sometimes I may want to discuss a particular problem without identifying the persons involved. If I used my real name, and the parties involved (or others in the unit who may NOT be involved)happened upon such a post, it would be pretty obvious who it was about. (We are a small pack). I use a screen name to keep those options open. To get help on a situation without causing it to become gossip.

Jo

Edited to add: I also sometimes mention my sons and that is also to protect them as well. I went back and read one of my posts where I mentioned that my son has no friends in his troop. Not something that I'd want someone in his troop to read with my real name on it.

(This message has been edited by CubScoutJo)

Safety. I'm no detective, but if you use your real name and ever give any information about where you live, it is a very simple matter for me to look up your address and phone number. Keep in mind that the internet is called the World Wide Web for a reason. There are millions and millions of people out there who potentially can see your name and information. It is guaranteed that there will be a few bad apples out of those millions of people. Do you really want one of them showing up on your doorstep?

"I really had trouble thinking of something original."

So, Brian, lets hook you up with something original and cool. What blows back your hair?

Some generic possibilities - BriGuy, PrettyShore, NotShoreAtAll, DarnShore, ErOhSnAiRb(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)

Anonymity more than security...hiding behind screen names drops the owners inhibitions and allows them to actively engage each other in forums without fear of reprecussion...

And in the event someone does not agree with your theological or philosphical views, you won't expect them to show up on your next camping trip and knock over your tent...

BriGuy?????Yeesh

Shorenuff!

Brainiac

Shorefirecure.

ShoreT.

BTCruiser.

ToBornotToB

I agree with many above. It is a combination of comfort and security. You never know who may be reading the posts without ever mentioning they were here.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure that they're are lots of reasons! I do use my first name but I would never use my first & last name because there are some whackos out there; not here but surfin' the net!

I'm on the children's group The Wiggles message board, been there since January 2001 & I'm really original in that I sign in with "Judy-Long Island NY"!!! LOL!

I wanted to use something sorta cute & I came up with Gopher Judy! In case you're wondering how I arrived at that, I'll tell you! When my son was in Webelos, I was the Assistant Den Leader, we had a problem parent. I had called her up about something, she was giving me a hard time, I was explaining things to her nicely & then she had the audacity to call me the Den Leader's go-fer! After I got off the phone with her & thinking about her calling me a go-fer, the song from the movie "Caddyshack" popped into my head & I started singing the song & dancing the the gopher in the movie! Henceforth, I came up with Gopher Judy! BTW, when I e-mailed the DL who was also the CM I typed in "Gopher" instead of "Judy"! LOL!!!

Good luck with thinking of a new name if that's what you want to do! I can't tell you how to change it, I'm not that computer lit! Take care!

Judy