Hello and What did I get myself into

Hello all,

Been lurking off and on when I was looking for some specific type info but finally decied to join up and maybe learn some more. I was asked to take over Cub Scout Roundtable commissioner as the current one was going to eagle advancement chair and I accepted. Now I just need to start getting this figured out and what I am supposed to do.

I hope to be very helpful in this job once I get it figured out a little more. So any advice and recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

BSA has Cub Scout Roundtable Helps. They are similar to regular program helps. Get yourself a set. Talk to the old Roundtable Commish & get pointers. Also talk to your District Commish & District Training Chair they should be able to help you out.

Did you regularly attend Roundtables? If you did, how did you like them? Were there any parts that you thought could have been done better or differently? Was there anything that you always wished they would add? If you did not attend Roundtables, why didn't you? What should the Roundtable have offered to get you there? What should the Roundtable offer to keep you coming back?

After you have answered all of these questions & did a bit of research, you will discover that you need help! This is not a 1 person job. Think of all of the Scouter's that you have met in your District. There must be at least 2 who you think would be crazy enough to come on board as Roundtable Staff! Round 'em up & hog tie the varmints in time to plan a Wild West Roundtable!

I had occasion to attend the Council rountable meeting that is held onec/month. Probably a dozen or more old hands at planning and conducting roundtables. There's probably a lot of good advice and ideas there if you have a similar meeting.

Also --- look around for another district that has their roundtable scheduled ahead of yours. You can attend a crib a bunch of ideas on how to do your own.

I also agree that you need someone else to help you. Before you accepted the position, you should had held out for the district to find you an assistant.

Rule of thumb one: If you are asked to take responsibility for a position in Scouting, offer to be an assistant if they find someone to be the top banana.

Rule of thumb two: If you are asked to take responsibility for a position in Scouting, make acceptance conditional on finding an assistant to help you out.

Seattle Pioneer

Greetings-

Best advice I ever got was to get the yearly roundtable planning guide and ask, ask, ask people where "experts" were to give presentations on the monthly topics. Your DE is the next best source of the things that are needed to make the RT run smoothly.

Go get 'em.

Welcome to the forum. The only advice I have to give is make them fun, give them something each month that they can actually use in their position, and allow time for them to interact and get to know each other and share ideas.