InsaneScouter Needed Help & Updates

Hello All,

I know this is kind of long sorry... Please also note this has been cross posted on Scout-L and other newsgroups and bulletin boards.

1. I am being hired Chief of Technology for a local technology company. As part of the deal, I am allowed to run the InsaneScouter servers in their data center (after all I am setting it up and running it). However, I need some hardware for InsaneScouter to make this happen. Specifically I need two - three reasonable (1ghz or faster) desktop computers (which I will turn into Linux servers), three - four 80 gb plus hard drives, 16 port switch, and some other misc hardware. I really don't want to ask the list for this kind of help but I don't know where else to turn. I have been doing a fair amount of research and believe I can purchase what is needed for about $1,500 dollars. However if anyone on the list has any computer parts they are willing to donate, or know of any outstanding deals that would help a lot. Although, as a last resort, if you can not help in any other way, I will accept monetary donations http://insanescouter.org/t276/helpus/donate.html .... We also need to raise roughly $500 dollars to pay fees associated with becoming a legal non-profit.

2. Once we move to the company data center, and get the above equipment, the InsaneScouter FTP service (a way to download over 8gb of Scouting stuff) will be made totally FREE (http://ftp.insanescouter.org)

3. InsaneScouter is considering starting a computer recycling program, through which donated computer parts or systems will be made into working computers that we will sell cheaply (less then $150 each is my goal) to Scouters and various low income individuals. InsaneScouter will use any money raised from the sell of these computers to help improve InsaneScouter and to farther our aims. Additionally, we are considering to provide each volunteer who helps for a certain number of hours a free computer.

4. I am hoping by October, if not sooner the InsaneScouter newsletter will start being published again. If any one wants to help write it please let me know.

5. I have a group of people interested in starting the IS Web Team (InsaneScouter Web Team). I see this as a web team made up of volunteers from around the world, working to improve and enhance InsaneScouter, but also will work on other projects, and several open source projects. Web Team members will not be assigned or told what to do, they will access a special online to-do-list, from which they decided when and what they want to do. All completed code of the web team will be under the GPL and any profits will be used to help improve InsaneScouter and to farther our aims.

Please feel free to contact me off list if you have any questions, concerns, comments, etc... Thank You!

Scott Robertson

InsaneScouter Owner

I agree with Seattle. InsaneScouter isn't a name that lends much confidence or trust. And if you are asking for donations then that is one thing you really need. People to feel that they are dealing with a group that is stable and can be trusted.

While you may not be familiar with the web site, I believe InsaneScouter has been around since 1998. At least that is the earliest date on the copyright on the site.

Admit it, we all had to be a little nuts to fall for that "one hour a week" sales pitch. ;)

Speaking from the perspective of a "ScoutNut", you bettcha! We are all a bit "insane" on the subject of scouting. All you have to do is look at some of the posts here!

InsaneScouter has been around for quite a while and is a great resource.